Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look .... MPC's refreshed Ohio George Montgomery Malco Gasser Mustang

SteveG

While the new front end is greatly improved over the original, Round2 didn't get it quite right. The fenders are a little too 'bulgy' on the tops. I shaped mine down into the proper 'spear' shape....pretty much flat on the top edge.....compare my modified driver's side to the untouched passenger side.....

post-1156-0-09692900-1399522626_thumb.jp

post-1156-0-04445000-1399522687_thumb.jp

post-1156-0-12389100-1399522704_thumb.jp

post-1156-0-14487000-1399522717_thumb.jp

post-1156-0-15970400-1399522731_thumb.jp

While the new front end is greatly improved over the original, Round2 didn't get it quite right. The fenders are a little too 'bulgy' on the tops. I shaped mine down into the proper 'spear' shape....pretty much flat on the top edge.....compare my modified driver's side to the untouched passenger side.....

How did you fix it?

I totally agree with you on the flip nose. It was the first part I looked at and was disappointed by the shape of the tops of the fenders. Good job on reshapping the drivers side.

Seems as though there are quite a few people that agree with us.

I got the passenger's side reshaped as well. Looks great!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I saw the car at the Petersen Automotive Museum today, and they removed the front clip off the car, so that the engine could be seen. If anyone is in the LA area, be sure to go check the car out and get some pictures of it.

Edited by 250 Testa Rossa

Great pics!

They are, much appreciated. They would be even better if Fotki didn't shrink everything to 500 pixels.

You can change that. Album Properties -> Advanced Properties -> Photo View Size. But you have to re-upload the pics or they stay at the previous size.

You can change your settings so new albums will default to the new size. Click "Go To" beside the Fotki logo, go to My Account in the drop down and change it to whatever size, up to 1000 x 1000.

o_and_video_sharing_made_easy_-vi.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

WOW is that the original paint? Looks like a pretty coarse flake to me. I believe that frame is a highly modified Willys and the motor while it might not be the ONE from the Willys is probably a close cousin. I'll check my issue of Car Craft with the full article and an X-ray view drawing.

Now, would the engine from the AMT '33 Willys work as well? I spent over two and a half hours examining the 1:1 car yesterday, and the engine looks exactly like what's found in the '33 Willys kit.

Should. Whichever is better detailed. Same motor. By some accounts the Mustang was just the Willys rebodied. Don't know if that's true but I read it on the Internet....

Now, would the engine from the AMT '33 Willys work as well? I spent over two and a half hours examining the 1:1 car yesterday, and the engine looks exactly like what's found in the '33 Willys kit.

You should use the blower, and intake manifold, from the AMT '33 Willys as they are much more correct than the MPC kit parts. i think that the MPC blower drive is more accurate. TB

It was a willys frame yes but i dont think it was rebodied. I do believe the engine is out of the willys. Theres a pic on the web somewhere that shows the 33,the 67 and the 69 malco cars together. The 33 was missing the motor iirc.

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by 250 Testa Rossa

on a similar subject.

Anyone happen to know who owns the 1/1 car ? is it the actual car from back in the day ?

If privately owned I assume it's on some kind of semi-perminant loan .

The actual car from back in the day is now part of the permanent collection at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

on a similar subject.

Anyone happen to know who owns the 1/1 car ? is it the actual car from back in the day ?

If privately owned I assume it's on some kind of semi-perminant loan .

See post #71 for photos of the actual car at the Museum.

According to Gray Baskerville in Hot Rod magazine (late 1980's), it is the original car. It was sold, then later acquired and just mildly refreshed as it had not been greatly modified. The car appears to represent the Malco Gasser in its final as raced form, which evolved somewhat from the original status of the car as featured in Car Craft magazine. The very cool thing is that Round 2 includes decals for both the original, and final versions of the car. TB