Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth K123 vs. AMT White Freightliner

av405

I'm not a truck guy but I would like to give a go at building one. Which one of these two would you guys recommend for a big rig novice? I've heard that the Freightliner has some fit issues. I would appreciate any opinions.

Alberto, the Kenworth K123 has fit issues as well, but probably less than the Freightliner. The biggest issues with the Freightliner are the multipiece cab (it can be a reall bear to get to fit properly), and the front axle & bumper are too wide. Let's face it though, they are both AMT kits so there are going to be fit issues; but the Kenworth would be a better starting rig.

Thanks guys, these are the answers I was looking for. I have the Freightliner, so looks like I'll be posting in the trading section soon. I love 70's era trucks, so that's why I want to go down the AMT route.

I was wondering if any of you could go into more detail about your KW build ups and what it took to "get it right." Thanks.

If you already have the Freightliner then build it, it's not so difficult that you should trade it. The only real issue is the multi-piece cab but it's not that bad. Don't worry about saving the rivets on the roof, their over done anyway. Loosing them makes fixing the seam on the roof much easier. Be sure to sand the edges of the interior tub to keep it from fitting too tight or it can split the cab after it's painted. You might as well learn on a kit that's cheap and easy to replace.

Well part of it has to do with the fact that I like the look of the KW a bit more than that of the Freightliner. Both are comparably priced right now and I'm not really interested in having both of them.

Then go for the KW. The experience will be more enjoyable for you and you just might want to try the Freightliner down the road at some point. In any case, Good Luck and have fun with it.

Then go for the KW. The experience will be more enjoyable for you and you just might want to try the Freightliner down the road at some point. In any case, Good Luck and have fun with it.

Thanks! That's the bottom line for me :)