Model Cars Magazine Forum

Overhaulin' returns to Velocity

Recently watched a rerun of the new season premier and I noticed something's different. It's not the cast or the opening, which both have changed, but its the way the show feels like it is scripted, just like Chip's wd40 commercials. Being an overhaulin fan, I still remember the old shows and the new ones are way different. I like Jessie, but I miss Courtney and I don't find Chris irritating at all, though I can understand why some might. Fortunately for me, they have started airing reruns on discovery channel as well as a new episode on tonight. I don't know if they will air every Monday but I hope they will.

Edited by dirtracer2448

Watched the first couple episodes of the new season, and I will say they are way better than the older episodes, at least in terms of the format. I was never fond of the whole "tricking the mark" deal, since it seemed to take up way too much of the episode's time. I prefer now, where they show more of the ideas from the mark's family/friends, plus have more time to build. I also like the way that they're doing the reveals since they can see the car before finding out that they're on the show.

I also enjoyed how in the truck episode, Chip listened to the suggestions and didn't put on his usual large-diameter wheels. I think however they should have tried to retrofit the Cadillac valve covers.

Edited by Jordan White

I noticed that they have stopped the 7 day builds and have concentrated on building and finishing the vehicle. The format is slightly different and I like the fact that at the end of the show, they let the mark drive the car and that annoying theme song "I am gasoline" does NOT play when they start up the vehicle!

I'm an Overhaulin' fan also. Really enjoyed AJ being on the show. I can do without the welder chick regardless of how talented she is with a torch. She looks like a train wreck and definitely not a likable TV personality (it is TV yeah?). I'll tune in regardless, Chip is awesome.

I like the overhauled overhauling too! Courtney & AJ were annoying, just window dressing. Jessie can do, plus she's not THAT bad on screen. Besides, if I want to see girlies, I'll go elsewhere. As for the show itself, say what you want.... Chip is the real-deal. And his A team ain't too bad either.

Great show, now if the rest of the garbage on cable would get their acts together.

Edited by FASTBACK340

I haven't had a chance to see the show, but I miss Jessie from Extreme 4x4. I was never a real fan of Courtney or AJ. I always found the role they played in the show was rather a waste of time that they could have spent showing more of the building process.

Edited by Nate

I gave up on the car shows when they became on long continuous ad for the parts warehouses and manufacturers and little about the vehicle.

I can understand your point however you have to realize without those companies donating parts in return for the publicity and advertisement, the show would not exist.

I can understand your point however you have to realize without those companies donating parts in return for the publicity and advertisement, the show would not exist.

But when it is one big commercial from beginning to end with little substance as to what the show "was" supposed to be about. Well, you lose interest.

If you put the clock on it there were more commercial time than show time and then the hawking of products in the show.........

They have stopped the pranking which got old after a while on the original show and the show now has a lighter air to it. I noticed that Chip is now an Executive Producer and the show seems to have a different production team behind it. Many members of the original A-Team have returned and there are some new faces, too. I'm still not sure about Jessi as my favorite co-host was AJ. She didn't know much about cars, but she was eye candy that i enjoyed looking at.