Model Cars Magazine Forum

Historic Racing Community Build

W-409

Rob, you are in with that Stars & Stripes Corvette. And yes, I'm going to move that december 31 2011 for a last day to get in and then there is no deadline so people can join in on the last day and then it's time for build it as long as it takes.

Rob, you are in with that Stars & Stripes Corvette. And yes, I'm going to move that december 31 2011 for a last day to get in and then there is no deadline so people can join in on the last day and then it's time for build it as long as it takes.

Thanks Niko. This is going to be a fun one to build, the research on it is sketchy at best and reference material scarce... :D

So you haven't much reference for it, if I understood correctly. My Enghlish is so "great"...

Few links, which I found:

Picture It's not 100% same car, but I think, that engine might be pretty close to that one, you have there... That picture is from This page, there are lots of pictures from Corvettes.

Some info

Don't know, maybe you have found these before, but I found these now.

Here's a little bit of progress. I test fitted the chassis and body to see how well it will sit, looks like the front is too high but, that may come down when it comes time for final assembly. The wheels are out of the Revell '67 Corvette 2 in 1 kit and are VERY close to what was on the actual car.

The LS1 427ci. is a dream to build, all the parts are really crisp and clean. The fuel pump, oil filter and starter are all separate pieces and really add some super detail to this motor. :D

Here's where I am at so far...

394620136.jpg

394570321.jpg

394570322.jpg

394620135.jpg

That Cuda looks super so far. I like the paintjob with all of those decals. Old Drag Racing cars are my all time favorite. Thank you for joining in.

Also that Corvette is amazing. I like that stance, as you said the front is little high, but I hope that you can manage with it. Like these Revell kits, they are always well detailed. Oh, almost, I have seen some old releases and they aren't so good but anyways...

looking good guys.

well i spent a couple of hours scrapping and digging the molded in exhaust on the chassis. i really dont like that aoshima did this.

010.jpg

and i started shapping the front fenders like the ones on box art. the ones in the kit are based of the new design thats being used.

012.jpg

011.jpg

That molded in exhaust is very stupid thing. I have removed exhaust pipes from '56 Bel Air's chassis and it's very stupid thing. Those front fenders are nicely done also. I like all kinds of scratchbuilding or modifications.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, it's very stupid. but, with a little bit of elbow grease and blood. it can get done...lols i cut myself at one point while cutting the exhaust out. im ok though.

so, i have a small update. i have more done to it now, but my batteries died. B) waiting on them to recharge. :lol:

N2levin001.jpg

N2levin002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Little update to my Corvette. I have sanded some little parts, like front and rear clip, and the fender parts. I glued them on place, and then I put some putty to the seams. Now it needs sanding, and more putty. Let's have a see, when comes the next update.

P3030917.jpg

P3030916.jpg

P3030918.jpg

P3030919.jpg

P3030921.jpg

I've been busy for last days, and I had not time for posting this update earlier. So, I have sanded the body and now it's quite good, but still lots of work left before primering it. Body needs more bondo, but I also made spoiler for the rear. It's sheet styrene. I warmed it a bit so I got a right shape to it. Now I think, it's time to move on to the engine and chassis, maybe I left the body for a while...

P3081039.jpg

P3081040.jpg

P3081041.jpg

How about other projects on this community build?

I'm relatively new to the website, but I'm finding these Community Builds to be just the thing to get my creative juices flowing. I'm in - once I compllete the two I'm building for the Demolition Derby Community Build (Can I cross-Enter them, since a Demolitiln Derby is, after all, automotive competition and both models are based on cars produced well before 1990: 1965 and '66... ) and the Early Compact Community Build. Put me down for a 1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger AND a Corvair Gasser! :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

here goes, a bit of an update. started on the gutted panels, "sheet metaled" the rear spare wheel well. getting it ready for the fueling set up. dug out my levin/trueno bible for reference. oooof, lots of plumbing. and then theres the fender. i put some putty, basic shape. still need work.

levinN2001.jpg

levinN2002.jpg

levinN2004.jpg

levinN2005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making good progress on the 1966 Corvair Yenko Stinger so far. I've decided to knock that one out first before concentrating on the "Gasser", but the Gasser's engine is coming along pretty well at the moment too. Here are some happy snaps of where the Stinger stands at the moment and what it looked like when I first tore it down. I started with an eBay "Glue Bomb" 1966 AMT Corvair Corsa coupe annual so it would have the "1966" license plates. I used the interior bucket from a later reissue instead of the one from the annual so I can use it in another model at a later date. After all, I'm depicting a gutted interior, so there's no need for the 1966-specific upholstery pattern on the door panels. I eliminated all trim from the body with the exception of the door handles and window mouldings. I also filled the concavity in the front panel that all AMT 1965-69 Corvair bodies have - it's not supposed to be like that! I modified the body so that it now has the mounting points for the bumper brackets, since the finished model won't have bumpers. Yet to come are homemade air doors for the engine lid that fit the openings better and are a more appropriate thickness. The engine is modified to run a vertical fan instead of the usual horizontal unit - a common modification in competition Corvairs, since that prevents them from throwing belts at high revs.

CBPs005.jpg

CBPs012.jpg

CBPs013.jpg

Edited by CorvairJim

WoW! That Corvair is looking very good so far! Colors are great and paintjob looks good. Is it hard to find these Corvair model kits? I haven't seen any new releases from those, but it would be great to have one AMT Corvair on the stash...

My Corvette is waiting for builder, but I think that now I have projects with deadlines, I must make those first... :P

just seen this or ied put my anderson pontiac hear.just great 4 me as all i do is old drag cars & gasser`s no time limit help`s also as some times specific parts take time(like the grand prix grill 4 the anderson pontiac?)count me in 4 jenkins red & white 66 nova,archway ford`s flyin`flivver t-bolt.and if they dont have to be real cars put me up 4 a copple gasser`s 55-57 chevy truck & 57 fairlane.thanks mike

WoW! That Corvair is looking very good so far! Colors are great and paintjob looks good. Is it hard to find these Corvair model kits? I haven't seen any new releases from those, but it would be great to have one AMT Corvair on the stash...

My Corvette is waiting for builder, but I think that now I have projects with deadlines, I must make those first... :lol:

First off, Thanks for the props! It always feels great when my work is appreciated (I'm a Postal Worker, so I never get any appreciation at work!). AMT reissued the 1969 annual a few years ago with some missing stock parts returned to the kit (even a convertible top boot!) - I think it was about 2004 or so - and I bought several cases of them then. I eventually want to have one of each year and body style of Yenko Stinger on my shelf, each based on a rebuilt annual model. Don Yenko built approx. 105 of them in 1966 (100 coupes and 5 convertibles), another 10 coupes in 1967, and one coupe as a special order from Goodyear Tire and Rubber for tire testing purposes in 1969. The first one I built was a phantom 1967 convertible! The colors on this model are as close as possible to what were on the real 1966 Stingers but I decided to make the stripe about twice the width as on the actual car because I wanted a bolder look for it. Many of these cars were modified both mechanically and cosmetically from what Yenko produced before they ever turned a wheel on the racetrack.

If you decide you can't live without a Corvair kit to bulid, let me know and I might be persuaded to let one go. However, they do show up pretty frequently on eBay at reasonable prices.

Mike: You are on the list with those models. They don't have to be real cars. Thanx for joining in!

Jim: Great info, thanks. I've been always interested of Corvairs. How about those "Yenko Corvairs"? Yenko Novas, Camaros etc, had 427" BBC... How about Corvair, how Yenko was different than the normal Corvair? And the biggest and the most interesting question: Was it Corvair Monza? I have heard about Yenko Monza, but I have been thinking that it's rather Corvair Monza than Chevrolet Monza (Monza shares a same body with Buick Skyhawk and Olds Starfire).

ok!hear`s my start 57 fairlane 2 represent late 60`s show car circit gasser.the mouth from 58 chev,inteiror from 62 pontiac custom,front suspesion from mustang gasser,rims from 66 merc,engin boss 429 from 73 couger,trans from t-bolt,dont have paint skeem yet but im thinking shades of purple 4 interor & dark purple 4 lower 1/2 of body,upper 1/2?maby yellow?white roof????oh well!long way off this is my start though well c were it goes mike.

post-7876-0-25587100-1303750569_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-36873700-1303750681_thumb.jp

Edited by a/gass

Mike: You are on the list with those models. They don't have to be real cars. Thanx for joining in!

Jim: Great info, thanks. I've been always interested of Corvairs. How about those "Yenko Corvairs"? Yenko Novas, Camaros etc, had 427" BBC... How about Corvair, how Yenko was different than the normal Corvair? And the biggest and the most interesting question: Was it Corvair Monza? I have heard about Yenko Monza, but I have been thinking that it's rather Corvair Monza than Chevrolet Monza (Monza shares a same body with Buick Skyhawk and Olds Starfire).

Good questions, Niko, and I'll do my best to answer them. The 1966 Yenko Stinger Corvair was based on the Corsa version of the car, while the subsequent 1967 and '69 models were Monza-based due to the discontinuation of the Corsa following the 1966 model year. These cars were meant as all-out sports cars, as opposed to the later Yenko cars being straight-line oriented. The Stinger engine was a modified Corvair air-cooled, horizontally-opposed 6-cylinder, producing 160, 190, 220, 240, or 250 h.p., depending on state of tune. (The highest-performance model, "Stage V", was too heavily modified for SCCA competition). My model represents the 240 h.p. "Stage IV", the model of Stinger constructed for D-production racing. In all but the "Stage I" Stinger, the suspension was heavily modified for all-out handling, being lowered about 1 1/2 inches all around and riding on firmer springs and shocks. The factory 13" steel wheels were widened from 5" to 7", and the car rode on wider tires. All Stingers had dual master cylinders, the first such use on any GM product from the factory. The cars were lightened by removing the back seat and covering the area with a thin sheet of black-painted plywood. The bumpers and all exterior trim (with the exception of window reveals and drip rail moldings) were removed too, and no Stingers left Yenko's shop with radios. All 1966 Stingers left Yenko's Cannonsburg dealership painted white with blue stripes, although the pattern varied slightly from car to car due to the limited timeframe Yenko had to work with. The boys in the paint shop just weren't all that particular when they had to get three or four cars out the door per day! The SCCA mandated that all cars eligible for competition for the 1966 season had to be homologated (at least 100 examples built) by January 31, 1966, and Yenko had only taken delivery of the first dozen cars from Chevrolet by the end of 1965! White with blue stripes were the official American racing colors as set forth by the FIA, the world racing sanctioning organization, back in the 1920's. In 1967, Yenko reversed the colors, painting the cars blue with white stripes, with the exception of two examples that were red with white stripes. I'll see if I can hunt down some photos of the 1:1 cars in each color scheme and post them here to show what they looked like. I already have some pics of my phantom 1967 Stinger convertible model posted in an album on here, but I can post some shots of it in this forum too to make it easier for you to see them if you like.

I'm far from being an authority on Yenko Sportscars in general, but I'm not familiar with a mid-1970's Monza-based Yenko product. Subsequent to the Stinger, all I can think of offhand are the 1968 and '69 sYc Camaros, the 1969 sYc Chevelles and Novas, the 1970 small block-powered Yenko Deuce Nova the small block-powered Stinger II Vega, and the 1980 "Yenko Turbo Z" Camaro.

Edited by CorvairJim

ok!hear`s my start 57 fairlane 2 represent late 60`s show car circit gasser.the mouth from 58 chev,inteiror from 62 pontiac custom,front suspesion from mustang gasser,rims from 66 merc,engin boss 429 from 73 couger,trans from t-bolt,dont have paint skeem yet but im thinking shades of purple 4 interor & dark purple 4 lower 1/2 of body,upper 1/2?maby yellow?white roof????oh well!long way off this is my start though well c were it goes mike.

like i need another project but this post^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i came up with a project for this cbp but....

1 i dont have the kit or the parts for it

2 i have enough projects already!!!