Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch building a classic muscle car.

fractalign

Hey guys.

Spent some time putting this tool together. Its a contour gauge and filler blade. As mentioned previously, I had traced the front side contour of the door. From this 1:1 template I had the the right shape to make the 1:25 scale version. The idea of the contour gauge is that the base slides along the rocker panel allowing the blade to even out the filler in a straight line. I had a few tries of running it along the side of the body to get the feel for it before adding the filler.

P7130034_zps73ebd019.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Once the contour was checked, the body filler was mixed and applied along the length of the side. The tool was then used to even it out, I found that slowly and steadily produced the best result. The excess filler was applied to backside where the door skin will be.

P7130036_zps097900f7.jpg

Edited by fractalign

After waiting an hour or so I gave it a quick sand and here is the result ! It does not look that different but when I run my finger along it I can feel the crease. I will be keeping this tool because I will need it for the other side.

Next up I will be concentrating on completing the door frames, and rear windows.

P7130039_zps966563ec.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

I made up the structure that will become the door frames. The first thing I did was get the dimensions of the frame from the 1:1 door.

The upper part of the frame works out to be 1mm thick. The lower part of the frame which runs the length of the door is 0.8 mm with a 45 degree taper at the front. The taper is in line with the base of the windscreen and this is also where the quarter window is located.

Here are the two lengths used. The half round 1mm thick length was turned round side down. A 0.3 by 0.5 mm rectangular strip was attached to the flat side of the half round length.

P7140041_zpsb7f25b73.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Here is how they look. Before I attach the two sections I will need to shape the upper frames so that they run with the contour of the windscreen. To do this I will make up a buck and shape the two frames together to make sure they are identical.

P7140049_zps9bfe437b.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The lower door frames are being shaped together, so the taper at the front is identical. These will be separated and when the upper frames are completed and the lower frames will be attached to complete the basic frames. You will notice these frames have a flat face unlike the upper frames. Next task will be to complete the frames and then make up the quarter window frames.

P7140044_zps3d1cae27.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

I did not get much done because I spent most spent most of the time putting this together. This is the buck and to construct it I had to get the inside measurement of the door frame. I also needed to make sure the angle of the buck matched that of the windscreen pillar. Once competed I began the long task of shaping the upper frame.

P7140052_zps977d9a35.jpg

Edited by fractalign

This is far as I managed to get. I am using a second length of 1mm half round to reinforce the inside of the frame, it runs from the b pillar up to where the quarter window frame will go.

Next task will be to complete this frame by attaching the lower frame and then attaching the quarter window frame.

P7150072_zps765eead3.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The remaining task for the frame was to add the quarter window, after measuring the inside frame from the 1:1 door, I set to work making up the quarter window. With the quarter window finished I test fitted it again. The next task will be to finish the other frame and to then work on surrounds so that the frames sit flush inside. This will be in preparation to shaping the roof area.

P7150077_zps7d5c98ae.jpg

Edited by fractalign

One of the things that has been long overdue with this build is to finish the wheel arches, so I carved out more from the front fender area. Its starting to look better but I will not be added the lip just yet. Once I have made sure the measurements are correct, I will be attaching the other side and using this side as a template to tidy up the wheel arch on the other side. Once both wheel arches are identical then I can think about adding the lip.

You will notice I have cut out the surround for the tail light area.

P7170082_zps108cc482.jpg

The final image shows the windscreen pillar. I have carved out the quarter channel some more, its now more pronounced, the windscreen pillar is also a lot thinner. Eventually I will begin fitting the drip rail which will give the pillar some much needed strength.

Next task will be to reinforce the inside of the door, especially around the channel area where the door frame sits. With that done I will focus on the door skins.

P7170084_zpsdcafa3a4.jpg