Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Chrysler 300, 12/26 Done!

StevenGuthmiller

I like to work my builds in pairs so this will be on the bench at the same time as my '58 Ford convertible build. It'll be mostly factory stock, as usual, with maybe a little bit of artistic license. I don't have the stock wheels & really don't like them anyway, so I'm thinking a set of mid-late 60s Mopar rally wheels will look nice. I've seen several on-line utilizing those wheels & I think it looks very nice. Not sure when the 5-spoke rallys were introduced. Could it have been an option in '64? Also, the engine will be the mid 60s "Short Ram" 413. As far as I've been able to see this engine option was available, for the final time, in '64, but I'll be using the 1961 engine color pallet for this build rather than the correct '64. by '64 the engines were "Chrysler Turquoise". In '61 the engine was black & the intake manifold was red with gold air cleaners. I'll also be using gold on the valve covers. Looking forward to getting started on this one. By the way, colors will be "Royal Ruby" with a black & white interior. Steve

post-13791-0-83192400-1415586491_thumb.j

post-13791-0-68693700-1415586505_thumb.j

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The combination you are speaking about will be outstanding. I think the '63-'64 Chryslers are so cool. I restored a glue-bomb '63 and a '64 hardtop several years ago, and I have convertibles to build. I don't want to hi-jack your thread with my restrorations, so I wont show them here.

I don't mind the "thread hijacking" Ron. I like seeing other peoples builds. gives me ideas! :) Steve

O-K here's my '63='64 Chrysler Builds.

This '63 300 Convertible was a real glue-bomb when I started on it.

63Chrysler300Convertible.jpg

I rebuilt the cowl and the windshield frame. I had to cut the firewall from the cowl,which was glue-welded and busted. Fortunately it was not painted, and most of it was there when I re-built it. The previous owner did not attach any of the custom appendanges. I painted it with 1963-4 Chrysler Sequoia Green, with a saddle bucket seat interior.

63Chrysler300Convertible2.jpg

I know some of my friends here do not like the 23" wheels I installed on her, but the beautful thing about this one is I can install a set of 15" wheels and Chrysler wheelcovers on it any time I want, and take it back ro factory stock.

1964 Chrysler 300 "Silver Special". I got this one from the same person I got the '63 convertible from.

2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050052.jpg

I was well glued together, but not a glue-bomb.

2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050053.jpg

The wheelcovers were melted on the edges, so I sacrificed another set of wheelcovers for their edges, as these were very rare. The paint is Tamiya silver, with a Model Car Garage vinyl roof.

This '63 300 is my favorite.

2009_0221mamafeb090027.jpg

Originally, I was going to do it as a Letter Car, but when I stripped the previous hideous dark red paint job, it came out so clean that I did not have the heart to do any further sanding of the body, other than mould line cleanup, and repairs from some of the custom fins that was glued to it.

2009_0221mamafeb090028.jpg

I hope that seeing mine will give you an idea of how good these cars can look.

As usual Steve, your tastes reflect mine pretty much exactly! How about a two tone though?? That dark red with a light silver or slightly off white roof?? Mmmmmm.. :rolleyes:

Those mid 60's C body cars sure had class! I've owned a few and still have my Canadian built '65 Monaco convertible and U.S. built hardtop. Nothing drives as nice as those old Mopars with tons of power and the cleanest lines!

Ron, that silver hardtop is a thing of sheer beauty!!!!! All three cars are super nice, but that silver one really makes my heart skip a beat! A friend of mine has a 1:1 that is a light silver/blue and man, it is gorgeous!!!! It's always a crowd pleaser at the shows. There is just something about the lines of those cars that is timeless. VERY worthwhile and nice saves and sweet builds to boot!!!!!

O-K here's my '63='64 Chrysler Builds.

This '63 300 Convertible was a real glue-bomb when I started on it.

63Chrysler300Convertible.jpg

I rebuilt the cowl and the windshield frame. I had to cut the firewall from the cowl,which was glue-welded and busted. Fortunately it was not painted, and most of it was there when I re-built it. The previous owner did not attach any of the custom appendanges. I painted it with 1963-4 Chrysler Sequoia Green, with a saddle bucket seat interior.

63Chrysler300Convertible2.jpg

I know some of my friends here do not like the 23" wheels I installed on her, but the beautful thing about this one is I can install a set of 15" wheels and Chrysler wheelcovers on it any time I want, and take it back ro factory stock.

1964 Chrysler 300 "Silver Special". I got this one from the same person I got the '63 convertible from.

2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050052.jpg

I was well glued together, but not a glue-bomb.

2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050053.jpg

The wheelcovers were melted on the edges, so I sacrificed another set of wheelcovers for their edges, as these were very rare. The paint is Tamiya silver, with a Model Car Garage vinyl roof.

This '63 300 is my favorite.

2009_0221mamafeb090027.jpg

Originally, I was going to do it as a Letter Car, but when I stripped the previous hideous dark red paint job, it came out so clean that I did not have the heart to do any further sanding of the body, other than mould line cleanup, and repairs from some of the custom fins that was glued to it.

2009_0221mamafeb090028.jpg

I hope that seeing mine will give you an idea of how good these cars can look.

I have a pair of '63s as well one hardtop & a convertible. The convertible is a little rough but the hardtop will be built someday. This will basically be the first installment of my '62-'68 300 builds. I have a '65 & a '66 waiting in the wings to be built soon as well as a '62. The rest will be coming also, but a little later. I don't want to get burnt out on 300s! :) Steve

As usual Steve, your tastes reflect mine pretty much exactly! How about a two tone though?? That dark red with a light silver or slightly off white roof?? Mmmmmm.. :rolleyes:

Those mid 60's C body cars sure had class! I've owned a few and still have my Canadian built '65 Monaco convertible and U.S. built hardtop. Nothing drives as nice as those old Mopars with tons of power and the cleanest lines!

This one will be all one color. I'm sort of doing a tribute build for a good high school friend who is no longer with us. He had a dark maroon '64 4 door hardtop with a black & white interior back in school. I've never been a huge fan of the styling of the '63-'64 Chryslers, but I've grown to appreciate the "art deco" styling of the '64 especially. Steve

I remember when i was around 10 and was at my first US car meet,and people gather around one of these cars.

The car was black,and a so called letter car with the special intakemanifoils,and i remember it was black with red

interior and i did not get what the fuzz was about,the car was bland and ugly (i was 10 lol) compared to the ones with

big fins and tons of crome. Now as i have grow older i find it to very elegant and design wise kinda modern looking

compared to the competition. Sorry about the write up,but it is very fun to see a model of such car today,these must

be as rare as the 1:1 cars.

The black car Ron posted is pretty much a replica of the one i did see.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. As I get older I've learned to appreciate some of the older cars better but have also gotten very tired of the usual cookie cutter cars. Can't wait to see this one done.

That's why I've gotten into a lot of these old vintage kits in the past couple of years Dennis. I'm really tired of '57 Chevies, '49 Mercs & the like. Something like this is a breath of fresh air to me! :) Steve

Nice project Steve! I will be watching. When you said you were building a pair, my first thought was that you had two '64 Chryslers going! I have a couple of that kit, at least one each of the hardtop and convertible. I was thinking of doing a pair like that.

Per Squadron Green Putty. I've used it for years and it only shrinks if you put it on too thick. I've found it works fine if I do several thin coats. I recently started using Squadron White Putty. Works the same as green but is easier to cover with paint. I've asked and nobody can tell me if the formulas are different, even the writing on the tube is the same! So I can only figure that the green is for the military guys and the white is for car guys.