Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jairus- How about that race plane CPB?

LDO

Spent the evening (nothing on the tube as usual) sanding the plane. Still lots to do and very disappointed how badly this kit lines up. The molding date is 1965 and this particular kit was boxed and released in 1973. I remember building this kit the first time about '75 and loved it then. But, never noticed how badly it was really molded!?! Still, it's a great subject for a Reno Air Racer and a very fun project so far.

P1010036-vi.jpg

:)

Edited by Jairus

Here are some progress shots of mine so far. Like I stated already, this is a rather crude resin cast kit from days of old so it doesn't look like much yet. The white base coat is in place. The cockpit canopy will eventually be sprayed a gloss black, as this will be a "slammer" style build. The canopy was so far out of plum on it's vacuforming that the only way to salvage it was to glue it in place and then sand it smooth to fit the sides of the fuselage. I have the lines drawn out already for the next color that will be added before the graphics. This one will be done with the landing gear up, flying around a pylon. I have the graphics planned out already but I'm still working on a name.

To show my timeline on this one I snapped these pics. on the latest issue of Model Cars that I just received. More to come this weekend.

DSC04796-vi.jpg

DSC04798-vi.jpg

DSC04795-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Came across this while perusing a web site for artists and researchers of German aircraft under development by the end of the war. Seems Focke-Wulf was developing a new radial engine fighter with a set of countra rotating propellers and an 2400h.p. 18 cyl radial engine. I suppose I could modify my FW 190 by moving the cockpit back and creating a neat spinner like that! :rolleyes:

Oh... but how to create a set of gears to spin the props I wonder???

FW8027-vi.jpg

The art is by Géry Gueville and the site is Luft '46.

Came across this while perusing a web site for artists and researchers of German aircraft under development by the end of the war. Seems Focke-Wulf was developing a new radial engine fighter with a set of countra rotating propellers and an 2400h.p. 18 cyl radial engine. I suppose I could modify my FW 190 by moving the cockpit back and creating a neat spinner like that! :rolleyes:

Oh... but how to create a set of gears to spin the props I wonder???

I believe the old Lindberg "Pogo" vertical take off model had geared, contra-rotating props, but I think it's an odd scale. I saw it was still listed recently in the Squadron.com catalog. Just a thought.

I like it!

British Racing Green and Ivory maybe? :)

You would think that being a British plane that I would be leaning that way, but I'm actually adding a U.S. flare to the paint scheme. I should have the graphics complete by the end of the weekend.

DSC04799-vi.jpg

DSC04800-vi.jpg

DSC04802-vi.jpg

Here is the beginning of the graphics. The red, white and blue flames decals are graphics found on the internet and transferred over to decal film. The numbers are from a 1/32 scale Slixx Nascar decal sheet. I am currently working on the graphics for the plane's name and will have that done shortly. There will be some added stripes to the color separation as well. Thanks for looking. Not too much time involved here but it's fun to do something outside the box and change the pace of all of the everyday projects that I have going.

DSC04804-vi.jpg

DSC04805-vi.jpg

DSC04807-vi.jpg

Here is the beginning of the graphics. The red, white and blue flames decals are graphics found on the internet and transferred over to decal film. The numbers are from a 1/32 scale Slixx Nascar decal sheet. I am currently working on the graphics for the plane's name and will have that done shortly. There will be some added stripes to the color separation as well. Thanks for looking. Not too much time involved here but it's fun to do something outside the box and change the pace of all of the everyday projects that I have going.

Wow, that looks great so far Wayne!

Guess you figured a way to get me to build that 1/24th scale P-51 that I bought last year to get the belly tanks for a Lakes Streamliner. I'm in, photos soon.

Ooohhh, a biggin, huh Dave? I have a 1/24 Airfix P-51D that I thought about using, but where to keep such a big model once completed?

Still shaping, smoothing, filling, etc. on my P-39, update coming soon...

I made some progress tonight. I had a couple of setbacks. First; the wing was glued together with Weld-On 3. I should have used CA. The trailing edge is very thin and the solvent glue really softened it up. Next was the streamlined canopy. I made a vacu-form master, but had no clear plastic. Since I am currently unemployed, I'm not buying any hobby supplies for now just on principle. I tried using an old 3-liter bottle, but that just shrunk over heat. I dig around and found some blister packages and I got one that worked great. I now have several canopies/fairings, in case I goof up on one.

No photos tonight, I can't seem to get the camera to focus. Maybe tomorrow in the sunlight.

I'm really diggin' this build.

Jairus, good to talk to you today! Gregg brought his plane to the meeting and it caused quite a lot of interest. I'm going to jump in with a Soviet Mig-3. I'm listing a site so all of you can check it out. The model is a Trumpeter 1/32 scale. http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3.html Got it taped up and looks like I might be able to get it done in time!

Progress on the new canopy/fairing:

p51cbpracer002-vi.jpg

I extended the fairing all the way to the base of the vertical stabilizer. Canopy is separated from the fairing. Next step is to cut a hole in the fuselage for a cockpit.

This photo also shows how much the fin was enlarged.

Here's a little bit more of an update. I have added the red pinstripes for color separation as well as the no steps on the rudders and since the numbers I used came from a Monte Carlo Nascar sheet I figured the plane ought to carry GMAC sponsorship.

DSC04809-vi.jpg

DSC04811-vi.jpg

DSC04812-vi.jpg

Woohoo!

I have read this thread a few times now and I cannot find anything that talks about a start date or end date!

I have an FW190 in the wings, I am just wondering if it is okay for this GB...

Start date is NOW!

End date is the official calender end of SUMMER!

You will be the second FW 190 if you join us and WELCOME ABOARD. B)

Summer school ends this Friday. Summer starts Saturday. I've removed the guns from the Mig. Have to get the interior (oops - cockpit) in so that bodywork can begin. Gotta find a driver, (oops - pilot) cause I don't photoshop. How can I get a big blast of exhaust smoke for my ground shot?

How can I get a big blast of exhaust smoke for my ground shot?

Rich, you might be able to use some cotton like in some pill bottles to replicate the exhaust smoke. I've seen that done for replicating tire smoke on dragsters and hot rods before. I'm not 100% sure, because I have never tried the technique before, but I think you add some white glue to the cotton to help it hold the shape you want for the cloud. If you have an airbrush, after the glue has stiffened the cotton, you should even be able to shade it with the appropriate colors to darken it to the smoke shade you want. I hope the helps you out. :)