Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Hot Rod Falcon from Trumpeter

Greg Myers

I wonder if it will have the dog dish caps on the box art, because those are '60-'63 caps usually seen on six cyl cars. They only fit the 13" rims, weird choice for a street/strip car. Nevertheless, I'll buy one.

-KK

I haven't seen the contents of the Street & Strip version but the '65 Ranchero will have '64 full size Ford style poverty caps like the ones in the Revell '64 Fairlane Special Edition 2n1 version. The Ranchero also comes with the Deluxe wire covers like in the 64 Falcon Hardtop version.

-Steve

i dig that cover art there...check it out, he is installing dual quads while taking off the what looks like 4 Webers or maybe some fuel injection set up.

was there advance notice of this variation being released? i recall trumpeter was putting out a stock falcon but not hi-po versions.

are there parts as in the illustration included with the kit?

and a 65 ranchero? did i read that right?

i have to get at least one of each...the stocker didnt do much for me but this is more like it.

I haven't seen the contents of the Street & Strip version but the '65 Ranchero will have '64 full size Ford style poverty caps like the ones in the Revell '64 Fairlane Special Edition 2n1 version. The Ranchero also comes with the Deluxe wire covers like in the 64 Falcon Hardtop version.

-Steve

That's great, because those caps are correct for '65 Falcons.

EFIranchfrontright.jpg

The box art shows this trim too, instead of the two tone trim with the chevrons a la '64 Futura/Sprint. Another great thing, because now I can finally build my own car.

What is an "accurate F/S build"?

Factory stock?

-MJS

This should be more interesting kit, than the normal HT version, I have. But maybe that doesn't matter so much, because I could saw this kit chassis also. Maybe needs to get this kit too, but let's see after some years when I've finished the Pro Street Falcon...

i dig that cover art there...check it out, he is installing dual quads while taking off the what looks like 4 Webers or maybe some fuel injection set up.

was there advance notice of this variation being released? i recall trumpeter was putting out a stock falcon but not hi-po versions.

are there parts as in the illustration included with the kit?

and a 65 ranchero? did i read that right?

i have to get at least one of each...the stocker didnt do much for me but this is more like it.

I think that you have that backwards, it's quite obvious that he's taking of the little AFB set up, & installing the much better Weber set up ala the Cobra kit that Ford offered back then, (the deep cast aluminum pan, & the four Weber carbs, & manifold.

When the corrections are made to the chassis to allow a accurate F/S build of this kit, I'll buy one. Not until then. 50 bucks for a inaccurate kit just doesnt cut it. Mobius's Hudson is far more accurate, and far cheaper. It's too bad, as I really like this subject.

The Hudson Hornet has accuracy issues too. Like the rearend mounting to the frame,emblems that look like they are a scale three inches thick,pegs on light lenses. Plus these kits are not $50 like everyone keeps saying. They're online everywhere in the $36-$39 range. Even if they were $50,I would pay $50 for a Trumpeter Falcon before I would pay $15 for the Mobius Hornet.

"When the corrections are made to the chassis to allow a accurate F/S build of this kit," are you talking about the old AMT AWB kits? I still don't see where it says anywhere that the chassis on these kits are anything but stock, F/Stock, factory stock, unaltered stock. Help me out here.

"When the corrections are made to the chassis to allow a accurate F/S build of this kit," are you talking about the old AMT AWB kits? I still don't see where it says anywhere that the chassis on these kits are anything but stock, F/Stock, factory stock, unaltered stock. Help me out here.

On the Trumpeter Falcon HT kit and probably the convertible too the rear wheel wells are a little wide. My guess is to allow for the wider tires that are coming with the street & strip version. Properly detailed and using the optional dual exhaust the chassis still looks pretty good to me. I've got a hardtop kit on the workbench right now. I'll try to post some photos later.

Steve

The rear wheel wells being wider than stock is a good thing to me...allows using wider tires than the bicycle width stock '60s style tires.. :)

I haven't bought either of the Falcons yet, I have builtups of the old AMTs, but it looks like the Trumpeter kits, as it always is with Trumpeter kits, have a variety of issues...

The rear wheel wells being wider than stock is a good thing to me...allows using wider tires than the bicycle width stock '60s style tires.. :)

I haven't bought either of the Falcons yet, I have builtups of the old AMTs, but it looks like the Trumpeter kits, as it always is with Trumpeter kits, have a variety of issues...

I'm with you, I don't understand why anything should be made to look stock when some nice wider tires and some sort of wheel such as cragars make everything look so much more badass.

Steve, are you doing it factory stock?

Yes, and I'm sticking to out of the box on this build too. I'm seeing how nice I can make it look with just the basics. I could have kit bashed a more detailed trans for example and I might have modified the dual exhaust to something more flowing behind the mufflers. Here's where I'm at so far ......

Picture390-vi.jpg

Painted and assembled the rear wheel wells don't look all that wide to me anymore. While it's far from pefect but it sure beats that old AMT annual chassis every day of the week and twice on Sunday ....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG