Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Hot Rod Falcon from Trumpeter

Greg Myers

Here's another pic showing the finished engine bay. I think it's one of the highpoints of this kit. Yes, I know the stock intake is missing some runners but the multi-piece generator and power stering pump are super nice.

Picture397-vi.jpg

Imagine how it would look with some basic wiring, some well place decals or maybe that Dual-quad manifold shown on the street & strip box art ......

The wide rear fenderwells are a plus for me. It sure beats having to do a bunch of work just to fit a decent sized set of rear tires like I had to do with the Revell Nova. I had had to grind out the fenderwells,inside of the quarter panels,plus narrow the rearend just to put a set of Good Year SCS's on the rear. I surely won't have that problem with this model. The chassis is a little flat looking,but I never display my models on their roof anyway.

I'VE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR YEARS!!!! :lol:

Lackluster chassis detail means little to me... though cruddy engine detail irks me to no end. Weird, huh?

Yeah, it's like with old AMT kits...the molded in exhaust, suspension, and wire axles don't bother me at all....what counts for me are the accurate body, interior, engine...

• 3 months later...

Guys, i just picked this kit up today (sorry no pics yet as i quickly opened the box in the car outside the LHS!!), and as i never purchased the original falcon i deceided to wait for this one to become available and i must say i am impressed with the kit and its packaging(Chrome and glass pieces wrapped and bagged).

Trumpeter needs to either get serious or get out when it comes to car kits. I bought one of the Falcons (the first version of the hardtop) and both versions of the Pontiacs and Novas. The Falcon's underbody is all wrong: inner rear wheel tubs are way too big, transmission tunnel is way too big, stock single exhaust runs down the wrong side, and the steering linkage looks like the linkage on one of those pull-down attic staircases. The engine looks like a Picasso sculpture of an engine. The body is passable but nowhere near perfect. At $50 retail they need to get better or concentrate on the military subject matter, where they seem to have a footing.

And last but not least another pet peeve of mine,but I am going to give it a headliner so it won't be seen.

IMG_1145-vi.jpg

The glass unit looks like it has the headliner molded in place... so what's the problem with ejector pin marks on the underside of the roof? The glass unit hides them.

At $50 retail they need to get better or concentrate on the military subject matter, where they seem to have a footing.

The ALF fire trucks were actually pretty good, and cost quite a bit more than $50. I really wonder sometimes how Trumpeter can do one subject or type of vehicle pretty well, then drop the ball on others.

Now, having said that, I do plan to pick up a couple Falcons, and at least as many Rancheros. Yeah, the grille is wrong, and the body is a bit 'slab-sided'. But I have some pro-touring capers in mind for these, so a totally stock appearance isn't as important to me as it may be to some. I'm not as strict with 'accuracy' as some seem to be, but even to me, the Trumpeter kits do fall a bit short in that department, even by my standards. I also plan to put those oversized rear wheel tubs to good use! About the only thing stopping me from buying these is, yes, the price... the typical new Revell tool is more accurate and of higher quality, not to mention the parts breakdown is a bit more logical. But for some reason, the average Revell release is easlily half the cost of a Trumpeter kit. If this kit sold more in the neighborhood of $20, I'd already have a few of them in the stash.

I'm not holding my breath to see them on clearance, but you might see a few of them on the Bay or at swap meets being offered at deep-discount prices by buyers who were dissapointed by the purchase and just want to be rid of them. B)