Model Cars Magazine Forum

how do you make radiator hose clamps?

Hey Gang,

I am trying to expand my detailing to include heater hose and radiator hose clamps. Have read some people cut thin strips from BMF, what else do you use? I thought about small silver wire or silver thread for the illusion, but know there are probably better ways.

Have also seen photo-etched clamps, but don't know how user friendly or who makes good ones, who do you suggest?

How about posting some pictures and results for us, I would be very appreciative!! Thanks to all who reply.

Mike

if the hose hase the detail molded to it, it's usually not too hard to paint. a silver Sharpie makes quick work of it too with a delicate touch.

BMF cut into thin strips works nice on scratchbuilt hoses or hose without clamp detail, thin wire or solder works good too.

personally, i think photoetched stuff is overrated

It is for little stuff like this that will most likely may be seen three or four times by anyone except for the builder.

I make mine out of small diameter copper wire (painted)and just wrap it around the hose and add a tiny drop of super glue to hold it in place where it can't be seen. I bend the ends up and clip off the excess to simulate the squeeze type clamps.

008-11.jpg

On most of mine I've used the BMF wrap and dulled it with some clear flat. A few I've used plowboy's wire method for that type of clamp and I really like it.

I have some Model Car Garage Vintage Hose Straps that I really like the look of when I'm getting detail crazy. You can wrap then and leave the end long. Add a piece of sliver wire or a painted plastic rod at the juncture for the screw tightener if you're REALLY crazy! Those are shown below.

radiatorclampDSC_9789.jpg

Edited by Foxer

If you were to plan enough in advance,you could maybe cut rings from thinwall plastic or aluminum tubing the same size as the hose,slip this over the hoses before installing them,and add a little detail to simulate the clamp tightening. Heck,you could probably just cut the ring and slip it over the hoses even if they are already installed.

Hey Gang,

Thanks to all that replied and thanks for the pictures. Dave, where do you get silver Sharpies at? I cannot find them, someone told me they had been discontinued in that color, any ideas where to buy? Thanks.

Mike

The hose clamps that you see in this photo are all photoetched and came from Scale Motorsport. The screw clamps are pieces of wire with photoetched screw heads glued on the end. Now this is all 1:12 scale but I have done the same with 1:20 and 1:24 scale. Same process.

spareengine2.jpg

It is for little stuff like this that will most likely may be seen three or four times by anyone except for the builder.

I take this to mean that hardly anyone but the builder will notice. I don't agree. Detail like this can really make a build sing, and can greatly add to the builder's satisfaction.

Edited by sjordan2