Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let me see your "Movin On" or "BJ and the Bear" trucks

I'm just curious to see what everyone else has built for either of these trucks.

I've got the original AMT "Movin On" model. As most of us know it's not accurate for either the series or the pilot (In Tandem). The kit is a cross between the 2. I'm using the Revell W-800 kit which has the correct double sleeper, and is the correct model W-800 vs. W-925. The w-800 kit has a few things that aren't accurate, but the truck is still a better starting point. The Revell kit has the wrong rear suspension and it has a V-8 instead of the NTC 350 Cummins the actual truck had. I'm pretty sure someone makes the correct stripes for the double sleeper version, though. The sleeper "spears" are longer and the sleeper stripes need to be longer to wrap around. I've got the AMT "BJ and the Bear" model, and the AMT "generic" version. The first noticeable problem is that the frame is way too long on both versions. The other obvious problem is the decals. Seriously...Dry transfer???...lol. I'm hoping there's a better set of decals for this one, too...

Frank

I'm pretty sure someone makes the correct stripes for the double sleeper version, though. The sleeper "spears" are longer and the sleeper stripes need to be longer to wrap around. I've got the AMT "BJ and the Bear" model, and the AMT "generic" version. The first noticeable problem is that the frame is way too long on both versions. The other obvious problem is the decals. Seriously...Dry transfer???...lol. I'm hoping there's a better set of decals for this one, too...

Frank

Frank, I'll start with the decals, since that's the easiest part of you're questions, JBOT decals offers correct decals for both trucks.

JBOT Movin On Decals

JBOT BJ & the Bear Tractor Decals

JBOT BJ & the Bear Trailer Decals

They are offered in multiple scales, and with the mention of the dry transfers from the AMT, I would guess the AMT with those is a 1/32 scale snap kit, as I have this old Tropicana reefer that has dry transfer decals, too.

HPIM1579.jpg

Jerry, who posts here as "phoneguy", at Modeltruckin.com also offers the BJ & the Bear decals, again in 1/25 and 1/32 scales (at least), and offers them as truck only or trailer only, but he also has a complete truck and trailer set as well.

Modeltruckin BJ & the Bear Trcuk and Trailer decal set

I'm just curious to see what everyone else has built for either of these trucks.

I've got the original AMT "Movin On" model. As most of us know it's not accurate for either the series or the pilot (In Tandem). The kit is a cross between the 2. I'm using the Revell W-800 kit which has the correct double sleeper, and is the correct model W-800 vs. W-925. The w-800 kit has a few things that aren't accurate, but the truck is still a better starting point. The Revell kit has the wrong rear suspension and it has a V-8 instead of the NTC 350 Cummins the actual truck had.

I've got the AMT "BJ and the Bear" model, and the AMT "generic" version. The first noticeable problem is that the frame is way too long on both versions.

Frank

Ok, now on to the trucks themselves. As you said, the Kenworth kits from AMT and Revell of Germany can both contribute to building a "correct" truck, be neither on their own will build one straight from the box. The sleeper is the first issue, the AMT will be correct for an early version, but the Revell is correct for a later in the series version. The Revell kit, as you said, is a better starting point for the later version, but has an incorrect engine. One thing you might try is use the AMT Cummins in the Revell kit or one of Revell of Germany's Peterbilt trucks as an engine donor, since they have Cummins power in them also.

As for the rear suspension, I'm not sure what suspension was used on the original TV trucks, but here is a possibility you might take in mind. You can use the Revell kit to build a replica of the TV truck and just keep the suspension that is in the kit. I found these pics online, and I can't remember the site where I found the in progress pics, but I think I remember this 1:1 replica has a Peterbilt rear suspension in the rear.

scan0015_jpg_w560h380.jpg

This is a pic of the finished truck.

2776695703_290fde4da9_o.jpg

Now on to the BJ & the Bear truck, I know at least with the generic Kenworth cabover, since that is the only one I'm familiar with, the reason for the long frame is becasue of the original race truck haulers from the 70s, the "Papa Truck" and "Hideout Truck" haulers. The later issues are generally those trucks without the hauler beds, resulting in the mile long frame. The best solution I could say to do is just cut the frame to the proper looking length. If you need also, I have pics I've found online of replicas of both trucks, if you're interested, PM me and I'll email you what I have. I'll also try to find the site where I found the pic of the Movin On replica being built, because there was also a BJ & the Bear truck on the same site. Here's a pic of the Movin On truck picking up the BJ & the Bear rig!

SANY0077.jpg

Go Revell for The BJ rig. It has the correct frame length and I believe better detail but alas, no kit is perfect and will need quite a few aftermarket items to make it 'true'. Believe me, I'm making one at the moment and the list is endless. The Amt kit will have its uses, it has the correct quarter fenders for example. I've got aftermarket items such as aluminium fuel tanks, photo etched stacks, Ben Wicker rims ( He's made the correct front wheel too with regular lugnuts but wont be cast until early next year), airhorns etc, the list goes on. For the trailer, the best kit I believe is the ERTL great dane reefer trailer with side door. It will also need mods though to get it up to scratch. Really depends on how much time you want to spend on it and how accurate you want it to be.

I need to pull my finger out and get stuck into my Bj rig and update the thread, hoping to start Army pilot training early next year so have been very busy of late with all that goes with that process but that's a whole new thread!!

Any more 'Bj and the Bear' questions, just ask mate

Cheers

Chris

Interesting subject, I like both the KWs. Just out of interest I found this superb model of the "Convoy" RD700 Mack for sale on E-bay. I don't know who built it but the work looks superb. Its at $ 400.00 with a day to go and has not met the reserve price yet. When you see it and think of the hours thats been put into it you can understand why the price is what it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250735799950&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hmm! The photo's were taken nearly 3 years ago. Wonder if its still in the same condition and why the seller hasn't posted new photo's?

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

For either "Movin' On" truck, you need to use the Revell of Germany cab as it's the post 1973 W900 cab mated to the AMT W900 hood. (The AMT kit is a 1968-72 W900, while the Revell of Germany kit is a 1973-1982 W900.) Also, the truck in the show had a Kenworth tandem torsion bar suspension (available from either the AMT kit or from Porky). As far as the engine, one of the filming trucks had a Cummins NTC350 while the "actual" truck had a Cummins VT903 (available from Auslowe).

Edited by Jim B

• 1 year later...