Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for sites with Stretched and bagged Rigs

Can anyone point me in the direction for sites with Pictures of Rigs that are stretched and or bagged? They are all over Youtube, but I am looking for details on like how much they are stretched and would like to use for reference pictures.

Specifically I am looking for pics of the Peterbilt 359 Conventional and the Kenworth W900 Conventional.

I really like the WestCoast Customs Bagged Convertible Semi with the custom 4 link rear suspension. I found some back issues of Maximum Overdrive Magazine that I am picking up as well.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by eviltwincustoms

I'm not really sure what you mean by "bagged". I know in car terms that a "bagged" car is riding on air bags, but big surprise, almost every rig on the road is bagged! Even your basic stock rig has an air ride suspension, and they can be dumped to lower the height of the fifth wheel and rear frame to get under trailers.

Now, as for stretched, it really depends on how radical you want it and if you are stretching the sleeper too. If you want a stretched sleeper, here are a couple to get your juices flowing, and they are even Peterbilts!

359largecarStIgn.jpg

beast1.jpg

And a couple Kenworths.

ICTCustom230inchsleeper.jpg

dream_kenworth-2b_dbis.jpg

I do know the first KW and I think the Reliable Carriers transporter have a 230 inch sleeper, which is the industry's largest sleeper.

Another thing to keep in mind is wheelbase, whether you are doing a stretched sleeper or not. This is a Ford LTL 9000 that I stretched both the sleeper and frame for, and the sleeper is a 180 inch unit and the wheelbase is scaled to 345 inches, which is measured from the center of the front wheel to the center of the drive hub on the first drive axle. The total length of the frame is 38 scale feet!

HPIM3010.jpg

I also have a few more pics from my collection, stay tuned!

230" that is 19' house on wheels. Look on ARI Legacy Sleepers site for idea's.

Here is one I'm working on now.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Built this last year.

justbeforedaylite1.jpg

this one some time ago.

drside.jpg

Making a box and sleeper same thing. Remember what ever the size of sleeper add that too the frame and a tad more.

That orange Reliable Pete was very nice. I snapped that photo back in June '02 ? when it was parked at the Mackinac County Airport - the only place in town it could park and still be able to get the show cars off the truck for the car show here (back when the show was big).

I have another view..

reliable359StIgnaceMacCoAirport.jpg

Drat, that's the same pic, just wider. Someplace I have side views and a rear view of the sleeper.

Tim

Hey Bart,

Here is another good website http://www.shelbyelliott.com/. There are plenty of "large cars" listed with all the specs., you can find alot of good truck ideas on their site.

On your wheel base measurement, the wheelbase is measured from the center of the front wheel to

the center of the tandem rear axles.

Doug

Thanks Doug for the website I really appreciate it, I will have to check it out. Does anyone know if there is a Maximum Length requirement? Or can a Rig be as long as they want?

Here are a few more pics I have found through the years. I think these may be close to the style you are looking for.

CLINT4.jpg

beast_03.jpg

These are exactly what I am working towards and the Orange one I have as Wallpaper on my Laptop, but I have it from the other direction. I really like the twin headlights with Big and Smalls.

Sorry about the Bagged comment, I know they are all sitting on Air Bags, what I wasn't aware of is that you could completely let the air out of them. The reason I said bagged is the West Coast Custom SEMI Blue with Green Tribal Flames (Convertible) shows laying frame and has some sort of 4 Link Rear suspension. I was curious to know what this actually looks like.

To help I purchased 2 back issues of Overdrives Custom Rig's Magazines from winter 2009 (Project ONE) and Summer of 2010 issues (Ivy's POISON)

Midnight Rider Details

Scratch built long hood,Cab was stretched for extended cab like pick up truck's have

The sleeper was to kit top's put together then side's were scratch built the top was covered with a solid piece of evergreen plastic then shaped.

The rear deck was scratch built.

Air cleaner's,Fuel tank's,Battery box's,Pipe's,Bumper were all scratch built

The Turbo wings came from Porky at P&P Resin's they were wraped with K&S Stainless sheet metal.

The Pete emblem's came from Model Car Garage

Thanks guys for the pictures...

Earl, awesome Night Rider stretched truck, especially the custom stretched nose and cab.

Clayton, any updated pictures on that Lime Green Rig? That thing looks cool.

Matthew, your stretched Ford LTL looks like a house on wheels. :) Nice job, I appreciate everyone posting your works of art!

Thank you all.

Earl, awesome Night Rider stretched truck, especially the custom stretched nose and cab.

Clayton, any updated pictures on that Lime Green Rig? That thing looks cool.

Matthew, your stretched Ford LTL looks like a house on wheels. :) Nice job, I appreciate everyone posting your works of art!

Thank you all.

No,Had to repaint hood/cab,then the weather went bad kinda on hold for now.

16971_101587186538420_100000614170090_43272_3789618_n.jpg

Bart, is this the convertable with the four link that your talkin' about. this was built by Borthello brothers out of cali, not West Coast Customs. Not sure if spelling is correct, but they build stretched and lowered trucks.

Thanks Jerome, this is the truck that I was talking about. That is odd, I guess it was a Rig with similar tribal flames.

Here's some sites to check out, you will have to do some looking through the show pictures and archives but trust me these are some of the best sites for custom big rigs. There are many more than these, hope this helps.

tenfourmagazine

supershowrigs

elizabethtruckcenter

westcoastlargecars

customrigsmagazine

Is there a purpose of stretching the frame on a 1:1 truck? Why do some of them have such large sleepers? I know nothing about big rigs, so please be gentle.

The strectching of the frame depends on the use of the truck or for show trucks.

The large sleepers are for month's on the road and there set up like an apartment,inside you have everything you need.

Shower,microwave,stove,fridge,and you can even wash and dry your clothe's also.

Edited by ewaskew

Thank you all.

Thanks!

Is there a purpose of stretching the frame on a 1:1 truck? Why do some of them have such large sleepers? I know nothing about big rigs, so please be gentle.

Jim, it is just like Earl said in his post, the stretching of the frame comes down to the use or customization the truck is built for. It's just as Bart said about the pic of my Ford, the sleeper looks like a house on wheels, and that was just what I had in mind while building it. Also, with the 1:1s, the frames are only "stretched" in the sense that they are longer than the average rig, because the frames are more often than not ordered from the factory that way. I would be willing to guess most of the long stretched show rigs probably started life as workhorses instead of being built as a custom from the start, most were probably dump trucks, wreckers, and other working trucks that typically have longer frames to start with.

As for the big sleepers, here are a few pics that show how some extra bucks will make life on the road much more comfortable!

PAME4JF3IAULZIYJ.jpg

AIZDZ4GKLTAFJ437.jpg

ECLUEANYTFKZG0IJ.jpg

I6K1A8GP49PDLMNP.jpg

Thanks for the info. That sleeper looks better than some places I've stayed. I guess the trucker wouldn't need to pay for a motel room and meals while on the road if he/she has a setup like that.

Not a problem at all Jim, and that is one of the main reasons for the "home away from home" sleepers, to keep costs down in the long run. They can be spec'd to whatever a driver wants to fit their indvidual needs.

• 4 weeks later...