Model Cars Magazine Forum

'92 Mustang GT Convertible

nails3825

Hey guys, been working on this for the past couple weeks... tried to take my time but it still turned out to be sort of rushed. I'm trying to learn "patience" when it comes to building, something I can't get the hang of... so I've been doing these rebuilds to try to slow myself down :huh: This is what it looked like before...

l_b725fca335d444599aff01d4ae2d1e68.jpg

It's another one from the shoebox ~ I built it somewhere between 1993/1995... not sure exactly when. It never had a hood, so it was neglected all those years. Finally I decided to rebuild it ~ change the color and give it the attention it deserved, and a hood! Comments are welcome, even a little criticism. Your ideas and thoughts, tips and tricks. We are all here to learn and I know there is much for me to discover in the model building world. Thanks for looking :( Here are the finished photos... hope it's not lost with all the other mustang posts :blink:

l_ba975000c64f44b2a4421fce7dc0ee33.jpg

l_16c1c01e85ff4877a301170fdb903628.jpg

l_e687ced1d79c4074ba231e9721ec6bdc.jpg

l_8c7ebc61822842e5b0c3ad806a9dd4c5.jpg

l_a8238998625c4622b10717ac885e5d9d.jpg

l_d2854ff0ff4c4415907101050709393a.jpg

Looks great. I'm curious about how you did the Cheese Graters.. That's one part I could'nt come up with a suitible solution for

I've done them before by filling them in with elmer's glue and it worked very well. Just fill all the slots in, paint it and then pick the glue out of the slots.

Liquid mask would probably work as well.

The car looks GREAT!! Outstanding job, sir!

Edited by NJ-Wayne

Thanks for the comments :)

BigBeze and Rick, it took a while to do the tail lights... first I covered the back with BMF and then painted the front the same color as the body. Before the paint had a chance to dry, I used a toothpick dipped in thinner to clean out the grooves ~ after that, I sprayed Testors gloss laquer on them to bring the "red" back out. Make sure you do each one seperately, since you don't want the paint to dry too much before you have a chance to clean them out. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, NJ-Wayne's idea may work better :lol: That's a good tip, thanks.

Did some minor changes to this 'stang to better resemble the '92... thanks to Mark for pointing these differences out. First, I shaved the headrests down a little ~ this is one detail I missed while browsing through the several hundred reference photos. I just assumed they were correct, being that this was a '92 Mustang kit. Of course, I was wrong... but now they are correct :lol:

l_8dc434ad721246b0b0c8dfb7d51360ab.jpg

And the steering wheel... this is one thing I did notice but didn't pay much attention to. I figured since the seats were now correct, the steering wheel should be too. The closest thing I had to match was the steering wheel from a '94 mustang. I sanded the airbag bulge down flat and scraped in some lines so it at least looks something like what it's supposed to.

l_b1c33b45c5a641209e15b3bc79ca5209.jpg

Although these changes were minor, they add a lot to the model. It's a better representation of what it should be... that being a 1992 Mustang :lol: Thanks for all the input on this one, your opinions mean a lot to me. As always, thanks for looking!