Model Cars Magazine Forum

Face lift for the new Z06 Vette

LOBBS

First off, I love the new C6 Vette especially the Z06. It looks great from every angle except (in my opinion) the dead-on face shot. It's almost as if GM stylists took the day off and the engineers took over. That rectangular slot for air intake has just hit me wrong since the first time I saw the new Vette. I started the Revell kit awhile back, got the body painted but just never could get over that snozz. The new Vette is a "bottom-breather" so I'm a little limited in my restyling efforts but here is my idea #1.

Just after nasal surgery:

eaded052.jpg

Option #1:

eadecfeb.jpg

This is more of an evolutionary look from the C4 and C5 Vettes. It's hard to tell from the pic but the downward curve of the outer edges matches that of the headlights (I simply taped a couple of spare headlight covers from the snap kit to the back and cut the tape). The driving lights will be flush-mounted to the fascia in the outer corners of the opening (think the front turn signals from the '70-'72 Vettes) but I haven't mocked up the necessary buckets and lenses.

I hope to have Option #2 mocked up tomorrow. It will be more in the style of the early C3's. Three openings (2 larger outside grills and a smaller center one) across the nose with the exception that the "bumper spars" will be slightly canted to follow the fender line down. This will also require that I raise the upper line of the opening to thin the leading edge of the nose and more closely match the proportions of the early C3's face.

Opinions always welcome

Looks good so far 8)

About a year before the C6 debuted, I found phony spy shots of a C6 that looked great, and better than the actual C6. Wish I saved the picture-it had a front end that was heavily influenced by the C3; a split lower grille like you are fleshing out, and exposed headlight units that were shaped like the C3's rectangular hidden lamps (or the racing versions w/exposed headlights). I have also thought about doing a nose job on the model that emulates that picture (and screams CORVETTE!) instead of a semi-sort-of Ferrari 360 or Dodge Viper look.

Speaking of front-end makeovers, on tha front page of tha "Corvette & Chevy Trader"/ Feb. 2007 issue is.....

a 2006 C6 Conv. w/ new custom carbon fiber body panels, new custom interior and a complete body makeover. It starts witha '57 custom front-end, then at tha rear edge of tha doors begins tha '58 fin and finishes with a narrowed '59 rear end. They only want $135k for it. :wink:

Looks good so far 8)

About a year before the C6 debuted, I found phony spy shots of a C6 that looked great, and better than the actual C6. Wish I saved the picture-it had a front end that was heavily influenced by the C3; a split lower grille like you are fleshing out, and exposed headlight units that were shaped like the C3's rectangular hidden lamps (or the racing versions w/exposed headlights).

Bob,

Was it this one:

C6Spc96.jpg

C6Spc99.jpg

If not, I captured all the C6 speculation that I could find in the months before the C6 introduction HERE. Scroll down to "C6 Speculation and Announcement Index".