Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 El Camino Pro Touring

Well almost finished. Just a few tweaks to do in the engine bay and a final polish. Had to make some adjustments from what I originally intended to do. The concept was to update the 1966 El Camino to Pro-Touring (or Resto-Mod) with suspension, drive train, wheels, tires and brakes. I started this about 11 months ago as a club project.

So, using the base kit big block, I essentially made it a ZZ-502 with modern Holley double pumper on a high rise manifold. I added an Accel coil (boy is it big and hard to find a mount point) and a Holley electric fuel pump. I used the kit suspension parts and treated them with an anodized finish to replicate replacement sway bars and springs. I took the base drive shaft and covered with Modelers Kevlar decals to do a composite drive shaft. I finished off with adding headers, H-tube exhausts with cat converters, electric push fan, and a power steering pump.

For the body, I shaved the emblems and added flush door handles for a cleaner look. I frenched the radio aerial (power of course) and added the Concept Camaro side view mirrors. On this model, I decided to experiment with all shaker can on a two tone exterior. I primered the body using Tamiya fine white primer. Then I used Testors White Lightning Lacquer for the bottom and Flaming Orange for the top. To accent the separation line, I added three separate decals, bronze (microscale), fluorescent red and fluorescent yellow (Modelers) that I had in the decal stash. I then covered with Testors Wet Look Clear and polished out.

On the interior, I detailed it out, adding new instrument cluster, modern radio, speakers and power windows. I drilled the door panels for lock knobs, and shaved off the window cranks. I added Concept Camaro seats with integral seat belts.

Wheels and tires were from an Aoshima set plus Fujimi disc brakes that were adapted to fit the Revell suspension. This will also be used as an example for a future club seminar on adding modern wheels to American car kits. The larger Camaro Concept wheels I originally wanted to use were a tight fit in the rear and would have required flaring the wheel wells or the frame would need altering. As a major project at work chewed heavily into my modeling time, I decided to go an alternate route. The wheels I choose were from my stash and selected last Friday (down to the wire).

Here are some photos of the model:

DSCF2847_zps866ecf83.jpg

DSCF2851_zps3f1560b4.jpg

DSCF2853_zps25ea35d8.jpg

DSCF2854_zps18f119ff.jpg

DSCF2855_zps29d94b4d.jpg

DSCF2850_zpsddd35b15.jpg

DSCF2856_zps0b76a888.jpg