Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fire in th' hole '31

The 1st time I saw this car was about 20 years ago at a Goodguys show in Pomona, Ca. I had, then, a big block chevy, dual 1050 dominators on top of tunnel ram. I thought it was cool car then. I don't when he changed the big block out for the Blown AND injected Arias mountain motor. Even though it's a trailer queen show car, it's still way cool.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does he get those flames to shoot out like that? And why is it not happening the whole time the engine is running? I'm not a strong gearhead and was always curious about this with drag racers and lead sleds too!

Forgive my ignorance, but how does he get those flames to shoot out like that? And why is it not happening the whole time the engine is running? I'm not a strong gearhead and was always curious about this with drag racers and lead sleds too!

These feathery flames, and the ones out the back of lead-sleds, are the result of an excessively rich mixture with a lot of unburnt fuel in it (or in some cases, fuel sprayed into the exhaust pipe) being ignited by a constantly-firing spark plug in the pipe(s).

A top-fuel dragster's exhaust flames is another phenomenon entirely. Nitro-methane burns with a yellow flame, and the exhaust gasses are still burning as the exhaust valves open. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is pure burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the intense heat, and ignited.

This car does have a top fuel style fuel pump with control handle. If you listen to the video clisely, you can hear the idle get quite by a few decibels. Then when he shuts it down, the rpms go up has it shuts off. The same way a top fuel dragster or funnycar shuts down, or gets ready to launch.

This car does have a top fuel style fuel pump with control handle. If you listen to the video clisely, you can hear the idle get quite by a few decibels. Then when he shuts it down, the rpms go up has it shuts off. The same way a top fuel dragster or funnycar shuts down, or gets ready to launch.

Maybe so, but a fueler doesn't sit there making feathery yellow flames in daylight.

No. The feathery flame is because of the flame throwers. A nitro motor is because of the fuel and the sheer velocity of the exhaust gases as they leave the cylinder. Wild Thang is a show piece. I was just makin a point on how the show car can make the fuel mixture rich enough to ignite at the end of the pipes. By the fact it has a manual fuel flow lever.

[quote name="unclescott58" post="1397999" timestamp="142783781

That is Walton Goggins, of the TV show justified, which coincidentally had the premier episode titled, Fire in the hole.

Okay Mr. Smythe. Who is this? And why are you posting his picture? Do you just post random pictures of people for no reason?

Scott