Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC 9500 Short Hood (AITM) with Tube Trailer (Scratch Built)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the further comments!

My next AITM conversion is a Mack W-71 integral sleeper with a scratch built contemporary canvas top trailer, both ready for painting. Since I am presently working on another scratch built German vintage truck it will take some time before I can show the Mack.

I hope you will be interested.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the recent replies!

Each time I posted in this sub-forum during the last months I forgot to draw the attention of those interested in Euro trucks to an outstanding German forum. Since my GMC is currently the cover picture of that forum I remembered.

It is a rather small forum only for advanced truck modelers and scratch builders called Modell-Laster-Forum (MLF).

German expert modelers and modelers from neighboring countries show often scratch built trucks, cranes and other machinery. Some models are really breathtaking. IMO it is the best German truck modeling forum by far, possibly even more than this.

If you are interested have a look here: http://www.modell-laster-forum.de/

Edited by Plastheniker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What a unique and flawless model!

Still wavering I followed the link you gave in the Mack thread for the GMC 9500 cab. The link explains a lot but not how you made the grille. I searched the web, no other carefully finished cab touches your result, not least because of the grille. It looks like a PE part. Unfortunately etching would be beyond my skills. In case it is not etched how did you make it?

Thanks for the recent replies!

What a unique and flawless model!

Still wavering I followed the link you gave in the Mack thread for the GMC 9500 cab. The link explains a lot but not how you made the grille. I searched the web, no other carefully finished cab touches your result, not least because of the grille. It looks like a PE part. Unfortunately etching would be beyond my skills. In case it is not etched how did you make it?

I never made own PE parts. I milled the grille.

An X-Y table ("Kreuztisch") of any size is indispensable.

I used this rather unorthodox assembly of a full-size X-Y table and a full-size slowly running drill with a narrowed slitting cutter. (Ignore the workpiece on the pictures).

Broadly speaking I did this:

AITM supplies the cast grille as a separate part to be inserted into a corresponding recess.

I cut a piece of thick styrene sheet (maybe 3mm) as a baseplate fitting into the recess but leaving a gap of 1mm all round. I inserted this baseplate into the recess provisionally and glued a wide strip of 1mm styrene all round the baseplate as a grille frame.

After removing this assembly I milled horzontal grooves into the baseplate through this grille frame and glued strips of 0.5mm styrene into these grooves as horizontal grille bars. Then I did the same for the vertical grille bars milling through the horizontal grille bars as well.

After applying a minimum amount of liquid super glue to all joints I milled a plane grille surface using my height-adjustable modeling drill stand (Ignore the circular saw blade on the picture).

Last I gave the grille frame a neat cover of thin styrene and foiled everything. As far as I remember the cab recess was not deep enough for my new grille, so I had to make it deeper.

I hope this is understandable.