Model Cars Magazine Forum

This photo of a calender (difficult to unroll a 35 year old calender and take a pic with one hand) shows the changes to 352.

Note the larger front nameplate.

Larger grab handles than the kit (AMT must have though truckers had tiny hands)

Low profile air conditioner.

Long grab handle

Low mount door handle

Round top battery box with 2 air tanks

Sleeper vent is moved rearward.

Baggage door is a handle rather than a lockable T handle (door locks from the inside).

cal352redorang-vi.jpg

Classic interior that the kit has - seen here in Oxblood red with the metal parts painted red. Seat bases would be black along with the top of the instrument panel against the glass.

1975interiorred.jpg

WOW Tim, your photos are really bringing back the memories :D This photo reminds me of the Pete cabover I drove. If I remember correctly, the truck I drove had a Roadranger 13 with a Cummins 350, but for some reason I'm thinking it didn't have the suspended clutch, but the old memory is a little fuzzy at times :D Those were the days, thanks for posting the pic's ^_^

Chris, The Pete in your photo is a '76 or newer. Lower door handles, rounded top battery box, 2 air tanks under the box, longer grab handle.

The paint scheme has no name (Peterbilt used numbers), but this design was drawn by Winslow Moore for a factory show truck back in '72/74. It also became "The Patriot" paintscheme for the Peterbilt bicentenial package - in red white and blue, of course. Check with Jerry at www.modeltruckin.com for this stripe.

Tim

Tim,

What year model would you say this one is? My dad drove this one. Was there a name for this paint scheme from Peterbilt?This is what I plan to build with a reissue.

IMG_3148_1-2.jpg

October is the current information.

Tim

Tim when is this truck coming out from round two,also thank you for the usfull information. you really know you red oval. :unsure: :unsure:

hallo is this the one whit a white and blue peterbilt [box] i think on that one was st....int..tim you know that company from this one i have 1.5year a go buying 2 boxes whit the peterbilt 352

ore a old box from amt have also the budweiser and the normal one

and 2 pikers

jacobus

Here's the same engine that is in the kit, the Detroit Diesel 8v71. This one even has the chrome plated valve covers that the kit has.

Note the "Eiffel Tower" exhaust mounts. The engineer who designed this retired from Peterbilt in '06. You've seen a lot of his designs and group projects over the years.. everything from the 1100 cab, round-door sleepers, Dash of Class, Unibilt sleepers, etc..

8v71chromevalvecov606-vi.jpg

I noticed this 8v71 has a turbo (8v71t) most likely a 350great pic!

The reissue will be similar to the Stevens International reissue from about 10 years ago with a new decal sheet (lots of good stuff on the sheet) and the classic AMT orange/blue/white box art.

Tim

hallo is this the one whit a white and blue peterbilt [box] i think on that one was st....int..tim you know that company from this one i have 1.5year a go buying 2 boxes whit the peterbilt 352

ore a old box from amt have also the budweiser and the normal one

and 2 pikers

jacobus

Great schooling, really! This goes beyond your Spotters Guide, Tim. I wouldn´t mind seeing something like this for some other old Peterbilt types as well. The Bubble Nose Pete, the 351, the 372... I know that no mainstream kits are available for these types. But I would still like to know something more about them.

Great schooling, really! This goes beyond your Spotters Guide, Tim. I wouldn´t mind seeing something like this for some other old Peterbilt types as well. The Bubble Nose Pete, the 351, the 372... I know that no mainstream kits are available for these types. But I would still like to know something more about them.

Perhaps a book on Peterbilt would be a neat project for Tim.

This 1972 calender 352 has the short-lived 'scoop' style air conditioner. Forward mounted, has 359 grille screen mesh and the 3 marker lights mounted on the screen. This air conditioner replaced the square box (as in the AMT kit) and was replaced by the sleeker low-profile box made by Kysor for Peterbilt.

joe_p_352-vi.jpg

This brochure photo shows the cab mounted exhaust that AMT was trying to go for - note the correct locations of the mounts. The top of the muffler is level with the top of the cab. Such mounts could be made from bits of plastic. The lower pipe needs the 'bell' fabricated for the top pipe to sit in.

Note that this 352 has the low profile roof air conditioner.

352tilted.jpg

This brochure photo shows the cab mounted exhaust that AMT was trying to go for - note the correct locations of the mounts. The top of the muffler is level with the top of the cab. Such mounts could be made from bits of plastic. The lower pipe needs the 'bell' fabricated for the top pipe to sit in.

Note that this 352 has the low profile roof air conditioner.

352tilted.jpg

Tim, When did they stop using the cab mounted exhaust? I always found this setup interesting, especially when they were mounted in the recessed corners of the cab (possibly to save space on length laws)?

Cab mounted continued as an option even on the 362. A slightly different set-up than the 352. Recessed exhaust (into the corners to allow for more frame clearance back of cab) was always cab mounted.

Tim

Tim, When did they stop using the cab mounted exhaust? I always found this setup interesting, especially when they were mounted in the recessed corners of the cab (possibly to save space on length laws)?