Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/24 '77 4x4 GMC Truck

tooltas

• 1 month later...

Anyone else notice how the side view mirrors are mounted on the box art build?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Wonder what the person that built it was thinking?

Maybe it was the same person that built the box art kit for the recently released '77 Chevy van..it shows the mirrors mounted high also.

It was the same with the '77 Chevy van, until the mirror position was corrected for the final box art.

There's something funky going on with the bed on the GMC, too, as it appears to be lower in the rear, and the body line angles noticeably downward.

It will be interesting to see which style plow is included, as I recall older plows needed some extra space between the body and bumper for mounting, but it appears the bumper in the box art above is in the stock location. I fully expect the box art to be finalized once the plow is finished and an accurate sample can be built, painted, and added to the pickup.

Anyone else notice how the side view mirrors are mounted on the box art build?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Wonder what the person that built it was thinking?

The passenger side light mounted on the plow is backwards too. This is turning into a "what's wrong with this picture" game! Still picking up a couple when they eventually come out. Edited by The70judgeman

I think the Bronco spare tire mount on the tailgate is odd, along with all of the other problems with the pic. Maybe that's why the bed is sagging in the rear. Too much weight on the tailgate.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I think the Bronco spare tire mount on the tailgate is odd

I think it was a company policy at Monogram that any street pickups/SUVs/vans had to have at least a rear mounted spare tire, with the jerry can being included at the designer's discretion. :D

It was the same with the '77 Chevy van, until the mirror position was corrected for the final box art.

There's something funky going on with the bed on the GMC, too, as it appears to be lower in the rear, and the body line angles noticeably downward.

It will be interesting to see which style plow is included, as I recall older plows needed some extra space between the body and bumper for mounting, but it appears the bumper in the box art above is in the stock location. I fully expect the box art to be finalized once the plow is finished and an accurate sample can be built, painted, and added to the pickup.

I agree Casey, the final box art should be interesting to see. The snow plow setups for trucks from this era were frame mounted by extending the frame approximately a foot so the frame and hydraulic assembly could be mounted in front of the grille. The factory bumber was then bolted on to the frame extensions. Today's trucks typically use a "quick hitch" type setup where the complete plow and hydraulic assembly connects to the truck in a matter of minutes. This was something the plow manufacturers starting doing in the mid-90's, not sure what the exact reasoning is for the change other than helps keep the front of a truck clean looking. I suspect that the plow set up will resemble the one in the picture as it may be easier to design and mold. The picture is obviously photo-shopped as it sits on top of the bumper and the lights are messed up.

I still think we will see this kit, probably not until late summer or fall. I have it on my wish list ( a case at least!).

^I'm not sure if that plow setup was the norm or not; my dad has a Fisher plow from the '80s that was originally on this body style of truck that he had modified to fit his '89 and it mounts in front of the bumper. Mind you, his setup is a 'permanent' one: full hydraulic, with the pump being belt-driven by the engine. This kit comes with an electric-over-hydraulic setup.

Also, come to think of it, in the late 80's-early 90's when I was growing up my dad plowed with a '78 Bronco and it, too, had the christmas tree in front of the plow.

^I'm not sure if that plow setup was the norm or not; my dad has a Fisher plow from the '80s that was originally on this body style of truck that he had modified to fit his '89 and it mounts in front of the bumper. Mind you, his setup is a 'permanent' one: full hydraulic, with the pump being belt-driven by the engine. This kit comes with an electric-over-hydraulic setup.

Also, come to think of it, in the late 80's-early 90's when I was growing up my dad plowed with a '78 Bronco and it, too, had the christmas tree in front of the plow.

Fisher snow plows were mounted to the trucks differently than the typical Meyer or Western snow plows of the same era. A friend of mine had a Chevy Blazer with the Fisher plow while my Dad drove a 1 ton dump with a Western plow. The brand depicted in these test shots is a Western and I am guessing that because Revell is in the burbs of Chicago, there were a ton of trucks to view for reference.

Should be interesting to see what we end up getting. The last time a model kit came with a snow plow, MPC was putting them in their Jeep kits back around 1970.

This bed looks like it shares the same feature as the stepside: no fuel doors!

There is a gas filler cap (feul doors didn't come until '79), it's on the passenger side. That would be correct for a truck with base single tank, which was on the passnger side, however, the kit has the optional (and very common) dual tanks, and should have fillers on both sides.

Another oddity I remember about these GM trucks and the Blazers too I believe, is that the door handles are different sizes, or the location was off. I dont have any of these in my stash right now to look. But I still ove these kits, I had a bunch when I was a kid. Built all out of the box, very little painting at all.

I am curious as I never had the original issue,

is the bed a Phantom Cameo type (One piece casting)

or made of separate sides, floor, front, etc??MPC's 72 Annual Jeep Commando was the last to include the snow plow.I know most of the Jeepster/Commando's had that, and some Early issues of the CJ.My built Fire Chief Commando has the plow on it

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I am curious as I never had the original issue,

is the bed a Phantom Cameo type (One piece casting)

or made of separate sides, floor, front, etc?

It's a multi-piece stock bed, with separate L & R bed sides, inner and outer tailgate, front bed wall, and a bed floor with inner bed walls as the last piece. The bed is far more accurate than the Fleetside bed in the MPC/AMT '84 GMC 4x4, but it's not perfect. Also included are solidly molded chains for mounting the tailgate in the lowered position.

Here's an assembled bed from one of the Chevy monster truck versions:

MonoChevyPickupBed2.jpg

Edited by Casey

As far as the body lines being questioned, I think the way the bed is mounted to the chassis makes it sit at an angle for some reason.

As for the spare tire mounted to the rear, I'm pretty sure it's either something to do with the Blazer/Jimmy kit (one of which had a rear mounted spare), or to do with the older stepside kit that offered a spare carrier on the tailgate. I find it odd that GM decided to mount a spare carrier on the stepside version, yet didn't offer it for the wideside version.

5.jpg