Model Cars Magazine Forum

Promotional rescue: The 1957 Ford Custom 300 sedan

In between big-effort builds, I like to wind down a bit with a nice, low pressure antique promo restoration. Often for friends, (good friends) these roll onto the bench periodically. One friend collects '50s Ford promos that he couldn't get when he was a kid, but can now. These include every color offered of the rare '57 Ford sedan promo. Black is the rarest color, they almost never show up for sale. He finally found one, but it had been customized and was rough. I should have taken a few pics of it assembled, but forgot. It had the glass and interior from a pink '58 Edsel promo, (these sedans didn't have interiors) painted wide whitewalls, painted side trim and gold insert, and at one point had mirrors, spot lights, antennas, and mud flaps glued to it. Must have been a real doll.

P2050007_zpsfbb6cfdc.jpg

He gave me a green sedan promo to demonstrate the proper color scheme. First order of business was to remove the glass from the green car and use it to vacuform a new unit for the black one. I dyed it light green with glass dye from Hobby Lobby.

P8180051_zpsc7dd4b28.jpg

Trimmed to fit:

P2120010_zps3f56ee82.jpg

That turned out to be the easy part. The problem with the old warp-crazy acetate promos is that the acetate plastic is very fragile and nothing that I tried could strip the paint without ruining the surface of the plastic. And I mean nothing. So all of the silver paint had to be painstakingly scraped and sanded off of the trim, including the heavy brush painted gold, which turned out to cover a heavily painted red color, and then the trim had to be sanded and polished with a polishing kit to bring the shine back, and all had to be done without obliterating any of the details. It took days. I called the owner up to grouch about that, which seemed to make it go smoother.

All of the bodywork to the glued areas had to be done without stripping the original white paint, including sink marks to the trunk from the Edsel windows being glued in. All black plastic areas had to be sanded and polished, Then it had to be masked off twice, first for the gold insert:

P8140047_zpsa4318b7d.jpg

Edited by Maindrian Pace

And then for the white:

P8150048_zpsafcee781.jpg

Tamiya fine primer, followed by Testors Wimbledon White, a good match for Colonial white:

P8150050_zps86ef716e.jpg

Meanwhile, the chrome was sent off to Chrome Tech USA:

P4160023_zps215dc4b0.jpg

And the heavy lifting was done. Here's why the acetate was so popular back in the day; it was very shiny right out of the mold, and shines up like mad with very little effort.

P8180053_zps9c9a21dc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...