Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '68 Chevy Camaro Z/28 2'n1

Casey

The 1/25 AMT '68 Chevy Camaro Z/28 kit is back, this time with parts included to build either a stock or customized street machine. It doesn't appear that anything has changed, other than everything being included in one box this time, as well as new box art:

product.jpg

I assume the side pipes, hood w/ hole, intake, wheels, etc are the same as were in the street machine version from the early '80s..

I think they are, and I think we can safely assume the shooting star graphics will not be included this time around:

6530-68camaro-mfs.JPG

I hope that the infamous AMT snow tyres make it into the reissue ! Just look at that nice , nobby treadwork !

Yeah, those AMT Goodyear Rally GT tires are some of the worst ever created. To Round2's credit, it seems they have high enough minimum standards as to never include those in a kit ever again.

Yeah, those AMT Goodyear Rally GT tires are some of the worst ever created. To Round2's credit, it seems they have high enough minimum standards as to never include those in a kit ever again.

Not only that, they're including TWO sets of pad-printed Goodyears in this one.

Out of curiosity, were the Cragar S/S wheels always unchromed, or was that changed at some point? It appears on the Lesney-era Street Machine version's box art car the wheels are chrome plated, and I don't think those are the stock Rally wheels.

Out of curiosity, were the Cragar S/S wheels always unchromed, or was that changed at some point? It appears on the Lesney-era Street Machine version's box art car the wheels are chrome plated, and I don't think those are the stock Rally wheels.

I assumed the Street Machine version always had chrome-plated Cragars; the only one I ever had in my stash was a '90's Ertl issue (black/gold car on the box).

When Round2 contacted me about the box art builds I was told there was a past issue with both versions in one box and unplated mags (?)

Edited by pack rat

Another Z/28! I'd like to see a nice '67 or '68 RS/SS instead. Preferably the '67. I like building kits of cars that were mainly used on the street. Things like Z/28s and Hemi 'Cudas made great race cars. But were poor for everyday driving. I'd also like to see a second generation Camaro that is not a Z/28. Again I'd like a '70 or '71 SS, with or without the RS package. In real life I'd rather have a 396 Camaro SS with hydraulic lifters and air conditioning, than a solid lifter Z/28 302 or 350. Just as I'd rather have a Mopar with a 340, 383, or 440 over a 426, for same reasons.

In '73 the Z/28 350 finally got hydraulic lifters and optional air conditioning. With it the SS Camaro disappeared. The Chrysler 426 also switched to hydraulic lifters (1971 I believe?), but was never available with air. Again solid lifter cars are great for racing. But a pain for everyday street use. That's part of the reason few people bought them. And part of the reason why I like my fantasy cars in a slightly milder form.

Even though I've bought and built two AMT '70 Z/28s. I'll be passing on this one. The first generation 302 Z/28s were much more of racer than '70 and later 350 Z/28s. Again, not a car I would have purchased in real life (1:1) at the time.

Scott Aho

I assumed the Street Machine version always had chrome-plated Cragars; the only one I ever had in my stash was a '90's Ertl issue (black/gold car on the box).

When Round2 contacted me about the box art builds I was told there was a past issue with both versions in one box and unplated mags (?)

Weird. This Cybermodeler review-- http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/amt/kit_amt_1548.shtml -- shows the optional wheels chrome plated:

amt_68z28_parts6.jpg

I am 99.99% sure the stock Rally wheels were chrome plated on the orignal Lesney era, molded-in-orange, stock only kit, but maybe they were replaced by the optional wheels at some point.

Another Z/28! I'd like to see a nice '67 or '68 RS/SS instead. Preferably the '67. I like building kits of cars that were mainly used on the street. In real life I'd rather have a 396 Camaro SS with hydraulic lifters and air conditioning, than a solid lifter Z/28 302 or 350. Just as I'd rather have a Mopar with a 340, 383, or 440 over a 426, for same reasons.

Solid lifter cars are great for racing. But a pain for everyday street use. That's part of the reason few people bought them. And part of the reason why I like my fantasy cars in a slightly milder form.

I've never thought this kit was any great shakes; we really need a newly-tooled Gen 1 Camaro `67-`68 kit. Kind of surprising Revell hasn't done one.

Scott Aho

I would love to see Revell issue a newly tooled `Gen 1 1967-1968 "Rally Sport" Camaro. Why the "RS" you ask; because the "SS" has been done over and over and over. Lets some something fresh and different..a Rally Sport kit . Reissuing the approximately twenty year old old kit with it`s one piece chassis plate and tubed interior is not going to garner any major sale$ for the manufacture nor interest from the hobby community. It`s time this car be rendered in a manner that is on the level of Revell`s nicely excused `69 Z/28 RS Camaro kit. Bringing this early Gen 1 subject into this century with a highly detailed chassis, interior and fresh body is LONG over due. When you consider some of the great kits released in recent years; like Revell`s `70 Cuda, `69 Camaro or AMT`s `64 Impala and then factor in the cost of purchasing a kit is around $25.00 let`s get real folks it`s time for a face-lift for this venerable subject matter. In fact why not a Rally Sport (RS) kit with an Super Sport (SS) build option; a 2-n-1. The body and interior are the same. I do believe the visual difference between the two variants are the front/rear valance and grill. (those that are more savvy please correct me if I`m off base).

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I , too , would love to see Revell tool up a new-tooling 1967-1968 Camaro !

I also like the idea of an SS/RS

(and the options to build one or both). It should have a small block as well as a 396 ; transmission should be separate

( 4 speed or Powerglide or TH 400 ) as well .

This can and should be done ! Some of the new tooling already exists in the form of their excellent 1969 Nova series (i.e. , the front subframe , suspension , and the basis for a stand-alone Mark IV engine or small block) . Just like the "1:1" version , wherein the 'X' and 'F' bodies shared these components .

Edited by 1972coronet

Agree so very much, would love to see Revell do 1/25 kits as follows:

1967 Camaro

1968 Camaro

1969 Special Edition with SS hood (why have they not done a special edition 1969 Camaro Kit, the 70 Mustang got one)

1970 Camaro

1970 Chevelle

I guess you can tell I am a Chevy enthusiast.

If Revell tooled up a '67 or '68 Camaro, they could literally stretch the tooling out like they have done on the '69!

Dana

Yenko

Baldwin-Motion

Nickey

Pace Car ('67)

Convertibles

Big Block

Small Block

L6

SS

RS

Z-28

Standard

And I would probably buy at least one of each of them, along with many others!