Model Cars Magazine Forum

> MPC 1980 Road Runner

I bought an MPC 1980 Road Runner (labelled as "Fuzz Duster") via eBay , and am pleased to report some great things about it ; to wit :

- It can be built stock ( there was some conjecture about this , as the box art alludes to a customised-only version . Rest assured , 100% of the previous releases' factory stock parts are still included ! ) ;

- The 1980-only grille (square head lights and Diplomat grate) is nicely done ;

- The old standby 318 / 360 with its backup TorqueFlite is still there ;

- Minimal flash .

Of course , the stock tyres are still moulded in polystrene ... however , they are at least black in this iteration !

The 1980 Road Runner was relegated to an option package ("A57" , as were all 1976 & up "Road Runners" ) . The real downside was its "power"plant options :

- Standard 225 Slant Six

- 318 two barrel (four barrel in Calif Emissions guise)

Naturally , Direct Connection sold performance upgrades (Edelbrock manifolds , Holley carbs , etc. , etc.) . That's how I'm planning to build my version !

John, I still shoot a lot of film, and I actually prefer it.

All of my NNL-East pictures were shot with my Olympus IS-2 and Fujifilm Superia 400 and a roll of Kodak Gold I had on hand. http://s112.photobucket.com/user/charlie8575/library/NNL%20East%202014?sort=3&page=1

I take my film to CVS (usually) or Walgreen's and have them develop it and put it on CDs, which saves space over the prints, too. They have one-hour processing at both the stores I use, largely because of a very brisk disposable camera business at both of them.

Worst case, CVS does still have next-day (or so) developing, Walgreen's usually has a 1-week turnaround.

I don't know how close you are to LA (sounds like a bit of a ride from your part of the world, but there are plenty of professional camera stores that still have 1-hour/next day developing as a lot of pros still use film for certain jobs (either request or things digital photos don't do well.) You might also be able to find a camera shop a little closer to you with those services, too.

Charlie Larkin

MPC NEVER HAS offered an 80's ROADRUNNER. There WERE NO 80 Roadrunners, they died in 76 or so.

There were '80 Road Runners. Whether there was a kit of one is another thing. I've seen'77 and '78 promos. But have never seen the '79 or '80. Without photos, it's hard to prove one way or the other. I'm pretty certain that John knows his Mopars. So, Ill take his word that he knows what he has. I really wish that he could post the photos. I would like to see it.

There were '80 Road Runners. Whether there was a kit of one is another thing. I've seen'77 and '78 promos. But have never seen the '79 or '80. Without photos, it's hard to prove one way or the other. I'm pretty certain that John knows his Mopars. So, Ill take his word that he knows what he has. I really wish that he could post the photos. I would like to see it.

The '80 kit is a Volare...don't recall if it has the Road Runner decals or not. From '76-80 the Road Runner was a decal package on the Volare is my understanding...

I have the '80 kit also--got it off eBay a few months ago. it's a typical MPC kit of the era w/ garish box art, wild decals, large optional wheels and tires. Mine was built pretty well, w/ the t-tops opened up and the fender flares added..built similar to the box art.

1_9a70ed8fb3299fa729f4cb480967a040.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

MPC NEVER HAS offered an 80's ROADRUNNER. There WERE NO 80 Roadrunners, they died in 76 or so.

Wrong. per Wikipedia:

1976–1980: F-body Trim Package

In 1976 the Road Runner name was switched to the 2-door model of the replacement for the compact A-body Valiant/Duster series. This car, based on the new F platform, would be known as "Volaré". The new Road Runner was little more than a trim and graphics package; however, many suspension parts were borrowed from the police packages. A 360 CID engine was offered as an option (but only with a two barrel carb for 1976-'77 and single exhaust) to the standard 318 V8, but only paired with the 3-speed automatic transmission. Rated at 160 hp (119 kW), the F platform's best 1/4 mile times would be just inside 16-seconds at 88 mph (142 km/h). Although no comparison to the earlier stormers, the 360 powered models were respectable performers in their time. By 1978 and thru to 1980 the 360 was offered with a four-barrel carb and, for 1980, dual exhaust, bringing power up to 195 hp (145 kW). However, performance continued to suffer, and by 1979 the 225 CID "Slant 6" six-cylinder became standard. The Road Runner continued as part of the Volaré line until its discontinuation in 1980.

MPC offered the Volare Roadrunner from 77 to 80. They offered a 76 Roadrunner as well, but they goofed in that they continued to make it as a b-body as the 75 one.

Starting in 79 (or was it even 78?) the Volare Roadrunner couldn't be had with the Mopar Rallye wheels like the stock ones in the kit, but they had cast aluminum wheels. Also, the quarter window louvers had a different design than the 77/78. I think these two are the biggest "problems" one would have when trying to build an accurate replica.

Despite of that I think MPC did a great job with the Volare model. I really like them.

Been wanting to get one of these kits to do a Pro Stocker.

They are rare finds on ebay and not cheap.

duck-tape-racing10.jpg

You mean this one? Back when Model King was working with AMT (who ever the owner then), I suggested running the 1980 Volare kit with these decals. Would've been cool!

duck-tape-racing10.jpg

You mean this one? Back when Model King was working with AMT (who ever the owner then), I suggested running the 1980 Volare kit with these decals. Would've been cool!

I recall reading an article in Mopar Action back in ca.1992 about that particular car , albeit with a different paint / colour scheme . Its class was I/SA or J/SA ...

Honestly , I'm employing a liberal application of the Road Runner nomenclature . The MPC kit isn't named as such , nor do its decals allude to the car being so much as an annual !

From what I understand , the 1980 Plymouth Volare brochure didn't even *mention* the availability of the R.R. ( "A57" ) package .

It's too bad that Hamtramck Historical ends its info at the 1979 model year . I certainly recall seeing one 1980 Volare "A57" back when they were new ( I was age 10 when the '80's premiered ). It was Sable Brown Metallic or something like that and it had the aforementioned cast alloy wheels , in anodised gold .

Here , for the sake of argument , here's a photo of a real 1980 Road Runner :

post-6643-0-66124700-1400112807_thumb.jp

I'm not sure why people are questioning if the kits exist, they do..it's pretty easy to google 'MPC '78 Road Runner' and MPC '79 'Road Runner' and see pics of the box art, and the '80 kit box art is shown in my post above..

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm not sure why people are questioning if the kits exist, they do..it's pretty easy to google 'MPC '78 Road Runner' and MPC '79 'Road Runner' and see pics of the box art, and the '80 kit box art is shown in my post above..

I believe that the 'controversy' has more to do with the idea that a "1:1" 1980 Road Runner was built , and not so much the existance of the MPC kit .

Thanks for posting a pic of the kit's box , Robert :) . I only posted a link to the one which I'd purchased .

I believe that the 'controversy' has more to do with the idea that a "1:1" 1980 Road Runner was built , and not so much the existance of the MPC kit .

Thanks for posting a pic of the kit's box , Robert :) . I only posted a link to the one which I'd purchased .

I'd post pics of mine, but they are all boxed up and in storage. I've got the regular '77 Volare, the '77 Road Runner, the '79 Road Runner, and the '80...only missing the '78 annual.

I have an original 1980 Plymouth salesman's pocket price book. Published by Price Books and Forms, Inc. Dated 1-4-1980. It lists every factory option offered at the time and it's price.

As for the 1980 Road Runner, below is what the book says:

Available on model HL29 Volare 2 Door Sport Coupe...........$4,872.00

"A57 Road Runner Package - NA W/A04 Basic Group, A42 "Duster" Coupe Package, A53 Two Tone Paint Package, A63 Custom Package, A64 Premier Package, A72 Sport Appearance Package, J46 Gas Cap, K6X, M26, M31 Mouldings, S87 Steering Wheel, W11, W13, W15 Wheel Covers, Vinyl Roof or Other Mirrors - S77 Power Steering Required.........$586.00

Includes: Rear Air Spoiler - Bright Sill Moulding w/Black Surround - Grille Black Out Treatment - Black Headlamp Surround Windshield, Backlight, Drip Rail Mouldings & Windshield Wiper Arms - Road Runner Name Decals - Remote Control Dual Sport Style Mirrors-Painted Body Color - Road Wheels-Styled Spoke - Heavy Duty Suspension - "Tuff" Steering Wheel - Unique Black Gas Cap"

The largest engine listed is: "E44 5.2 Litre/318 CID 8 Cyl. 2-BBL - Torqueflite Trans. (D34), Power Steering (S77) & Power Brakes (B41) Required - NA W/N95 Emission Control System & Testing........$87.00" or "E46 5.2 Litre/318 CID 8 Cyl. 4-BBL - Torqueflite Trans. (D34), Power Steering (S77), Power Brakes (B41), & Emission Control System & Testing (N95) Required.......$142.00"

N95 is California emission equipment, which cost another $254 on to your Volares sold there. Standard engine was the E24 3.7 Litre/225 CID 6 Cyl. 1-BBL, with or without N95, depending on were you lived. No other engines are listed in my book for 1980. I also have the same books for 1976, 1977, and 1979 dealing with Volares. The 360 is shown for other years.

So according to the Chrysler/Plymouth Division at the time, Plymouth did offer a 1980 Road Runner. Plus doing a search on Google will show a few. They may not be common. But, they do exist.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58