Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell (Germany) Mini Cooper 1964 Monte Carlo Rally Winner Review

Duntov

Hi:

Went to the HS today and this kit caught my eye ---

It is the Revell (Germany) Mini Cooper 1964 Monte Carlo Rally winner kit -- (You probably know the one--)

ScreenShot20140601at7_55_00PM-vi.png

This is the Paddy Hopkirk 1964 Monte Carlo Winner --- Google that for more info ---

The kit overall is very nice --- I was impressed to say the least ---

The instruction sheet (---ah --- Instruction book!!) Is clear and well done --- painting guide is good but study the real thing for a better representation.

Some minor flash here and there but nothing to get your shorts in a twist ---

One more item --- as I have said === this is a small model and getting parts off of the frets will require patience and a VERY sharp knife --- work slowly here for best results---

Two chrome frets are very well done as are the four (very small tires) this car is modeled in 1:24 and is STILL very diminutive!!!!

About the tires --- they are small - no-name black walls --- with excellent tread pattern --- and could be used as is with no dull coat --- your choice --

ScreenShot20140601at7_40_47PM-vi.png

ScreenShot20140601at7_40_29PM-vi.png

Some parts are molded in grey and some in white --- the main frets (two in total) are all in white ---

This is a typical Revell multi-part interior build up --- nice for painting and detailing ---

ScreenShot20140601at7_39_55PM-vi.png

The main roof top is in white --- nice given that the real thing is white as well ---

ScreenShot20140601at8_19_40PM-vi.png

The body casting --- one piece --- is very well done -- has some minimal flash here and there but very nice --

A bit schizophrenic as the hood is cast in white --- but oh well --- still quite nice overall!!!!

Once you get your hands on this part (the body) you can see how small this car really is -- both in 1:1 and in scale !!!!

This was a VERY small automobile --!!!

ScreenShot20140601at7_40_13PM-vi.png

The decal sheet is nothing short of stunning --- the numbers, Monte Carlo logos and gauge sets are all just excellent --- and all of the parts needed to build the 1964 Monte Carlo winner are included ----that means a lot of lights --- seven on the front clip alone and a roof mounted spot light to round it all out!!!! ---- one possible item is missing -- seat belts --- again check your references and act accordingly ---

This is a RHD car so it will be a great addition to your rows and rows of yank inspired LHD cars!!!!!

I did not do a photo of the glass but those parts are again VERY well done ---reasonably thin and include the trim pieces molded in place---you can expect to spend some time here with your BMF to represent the chrome trim on those parts ---

Do be careful prepping the body as there are several lines and panels here and there that DO NOT need to be removed --- they are in fact part of the real car ---SO be careful in that regard ---check your references --- they are plentiful!!! SO NO EXCUSES!!!!!

The "little" engine is comprised of only a few basic parts (fifteen by my count) but with some attention to detail; wiring, plumbing, painting etc etc -- should yield a nice representation of the real thing ---maybe some parts box weber carbs??? Again check your references --- Webers would look good but might not be entirely accurate---

I am NOT going to get into rivet counting and mindless measuring here --- this is a quality kit and should build up very well --- a real winner for the detail painting crowd... a great kit out of the box to replicate the 1964 Monte Carlo winner --- with some attention to detail this thing should be a real winner!!!-----------TAKE YOUR TIME here!!!!!!!!!!

Go grab one --- I think it is worth it big time!!! Glad to have this one in my collection ---!!! (and I am a CORVETTE bigot!!!!)

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Edited by Duntov

Thanks James --- I was not sure if that was the case -- but that makes sense ----

This purchase came down to the Revell USA version vs. this one --- the rally parts and markings were the main draw for me ---

Just for further clarity, this is a variant of last year's new Mini Cooper tooling with the '64 Rally parts added.

So for anyone who got one of those in either Revell AG or Revell USA boxing you know what to expect.

Not 100% true, you can't use this kit to make a stock Cooper, no stock front grille and bumper, it does have the 9 hole Cooper wheels but it has no hubcaps, as the rally car didn't have them fitted, the front seats are not the factory items either, and the dash panel they give you is totally incorrect for the rally version

Not 100% true, you can't use this kit to make a stock Cooper, no stock front grille and bumper, it does have the 9 hole Cooper wheels but it has no hubcaps, as the rally car didn't have them fitted, the front seats are not the factory items either, and the dash panel they give you is totally incorrect for the rally version

Well I wouldn't expect to be able to build a stock Mini Cooper out of it. What I meant was the new parts were the Rally equipment rather than a entirely new tool, or a shared tool, not that it was the same kit with new parts tossed in. I still see people insist the Revell AG Mini Cooper (as well as the 2CV) is just a re-run of the Tamiya tooling.

The LHD stuff looks to be "missing", and I imagine the decal stuff to build your choice of Austin vs. Morris are history as well.

Edited by niteowl7710

The "Other" Revell (of America) Mini kit was this green one --- LHD version and no extra rally parts ---stone stock form what I could tell ---

For a buck or so more the Rally car was a better deal --- I think --- (but I kinda like this one too) ---

ScreenShot20140602at6_32_40PM-vi.png

The "Other" Revell (of America) Mini kit was this green one --- LHD version and no extra rally parts ---stone stock form what I could tell ---

For a buck or so more the Rally car was a better deal --- I think --- (but I kinda like this one too) ---

The Revell kit in the North American box is just a reboxing like all the Ferarri kits. It too was done by Revell of Germany, and at least in the German/Euro boxing has both RHD & LHD along with a full compliment of decals to make either a Austin Mini Cooper or a Morris Mini Cooper.

Now that Hobbico owns both Revells it seems they aren't importing Revell AG kits to the US unless they don't plan to sell them directly here. Like this Rally version of the Mini Cooper, or the 2CV Charleston, either of the Trabant kits, or the '70 Beetle Cabriolet for example.

You can't however order the European boxed version of the '68 Beetle. Or pre-order the Euro boxing of the La Ferrari or the 1st Gen Golf GTI. I find this annoying since the seemingly only way to get a non-warped Revell Ferrari was to shell out the couple extra bucks for the AG boxed kits.

Oddly enough Hobbico re-imports OUR kits back to us. My LHS has the Revell AG Euro boxed version of the Impala Police Car, '69 Charger, '09 Challenger SRT8, and Viper ACR SRT kits that were all recently "reissued" for the European market

Edited by niteowl7710

Yep --- the Impala Police car was at the store -- so was a variant of the Trabant (I KNOW NOTHING about these cars) ---but it looked interesting ---

The Universal! It's a neat little wagon variation of Revell AG's new Trabant 601 tool from a couple of years ago. They really are quite neat little kits - and I mean they're tiny cars in real life - scaling them down did no sizing favors. :lol: But unlike the ancient AG Trabant tooling these new tool kits are full detail with tiny little engines and everything. Well worth the price of admission if you're into weird little Iron Curtainmobiles.