Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pick-Up bed stuff

SlotDaddy1963

Hi Guy's,

Taking a small break from the musical instruments for a bit... ( my trophy shop guy is on vacation)

I recently was digging around in a few boxes from my earlier car modelling days, I found several things I made back in the day. I found something I had completely forgotten. I remember being bored and carved this from two layers of .060 styrene probably 15 years ago.

photo1-3.jpgphoto2-2.jpg

I didn't want to hollow out the original, in case my "dremel-fu" skills are rusty... so out comes the mold making stuff. I made a one piece mold and slush cast a copy. Then I used my handy-dandy dremel tool to grind away the unwanted bits and do a little fine tune shaping and...:photo3-3.jpgphoto4-3.jpgphoto5-3.jpg

I also found a 5hp Briggs and Stratton in the old stuff from an old minibike kit. I've.been thinking about making a lawn-care company pick-up...

Hmmmm...

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

I found these at my LHS. They're Stevens International branded and there are several different sizes available. I think the largest diameter is 1/2 inch or 5/8. They're pretty nice but I may have to find something else for this mower. They may be a bit too big

Hi Mike,

I've been thinking about just that! Just don't know what the body, a 4 or 5 piece motor and a blade would be worth... Hmmmm...?

Two ways to figure it out Chuck:

1. Calculate the cost of the resin and parts needed and add a couple of bucks for your time.

2. Sell them for $15 and hope you get enough buyers and you make a few $$ in the process.

Most people making & selling resin cast items do so for minimal profit, although I hope they all make something as it can be time consuming. Might be worth asking someone who is already casting items their advice; who knows, maybe they will do it for you ?

It would be a neat thing to have for a diorama.

Thanks' guys,

I'm on it... will update on Friday, hopefully I can make a better set of wheels and a castible blade and bearing. Probably make a 2 gallon gas can too.image_7841.jpg:D

I've also been thinking about other stuff to make as pick-up payloads... I have a Yeti cooler in the works. I thought about a kayak or two... Softball/ Baseball bats, balls and gloves...Golf clubs... Bags of potting soil... "Shovels and Rakes and Implements of Destruction"... a wheelbarrow... a gas or charcoal grill...

ANY ideas for more ?

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

I wouldn't worry about a blade for the mower, unless it is displayed on it's side no one will see it.

Check out Scale Equipment Limited, they have some stuff like a wheelbarrow and riding lawn mower available in resin.

Your push mower would go great with a riding tractor I have from an old Indy car kit. Put me down for 3!

If I had the ability (money) to have it etched I'd do the blade, along with throttle linkages, name -plates, slide throttle, wheel-height adjusters, push-handle mounts, etc.

But then they'd cost $20 to $25 each... I need to go ahead and win the Power-ball this week.

Mike, Does your riding tractor have a decent engine? I ask because I'd like to scratch-build a few items with a larger power-source than this 5 HP Briggs & Stratton... a small generator, a tailgait welder, a pump and a zero-degree turn mower. PM me when you get time, please