Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White

RandyB.

I like what you did with this except for one thing. The mold seams coming down from above the doors and across the rear fenders really stand out.

G

Thanks guys for all of your comments.

Wayne I normally sand out the mold lines but didn't on this kit because it was a basic snap kit "build 'n play" and I figured it wasn't worth the effort. When Revell releases the detailed kit I will most definitely take the time to sand the mold lines out.

This was designed from the start to be a giveaway at Auto Shows during the roll out of the new Mustang. Chassis pan was left flat and smooth so they could print the shows' logo and sponsors' information on the bottom. We were able to get some for a make and take event last month. I emailed Ed Sexton at Revell to let him know of much of a hit they were he told me they were intentionally kept simple because they knew kids would be building them there on the spot at the shows without access to tools or Mom & Dad's assistance instead of waiting to take them home to build. They're perfect in that regard. We let the kids just dig in and go at them. They're the start of a new simpler (and cheaper) "Build & Play" line from Revell. Next up will be the Audi R8 and there are already others planned.

I have one on my work desk and I'm rolling it around and making vrooom vrooom sounds as I type this...

In fact, isn't this the inaugural of the Revell's new Skill Level 1? Didn't I see that the older Snaptites will be designated Skill Level 2 and the regular glue kits & full detail kits will be labeled as Skill Levels 3 through 5?

In fact, isn't this the inaugural of the Revell's new Skill Level 1? Didn't I see that the older Snaptites will be designated Skill Level 2 and the regular glue kits & full detail kits will be labeled as Skill Levels 3 through 5?

I was probably the one to write that. Honestly, I don't know that they will even use numbers for the new system, that's just how they're referring to them in the trade - "New Skill Level 1". The boxes don't say Skill Level 1 on them anywhere, just "Build and Play". An Audi R8 will be the next in the series and there are more planned (no idea what). The upcoming pre-paint Camaro and Challenger are being referred to as "New Skill Level 3", I don't know how they'll actually be labeled. This is a big thing at Revell, there's a new person in charge (name escapes me) and this is his big idea. I heard about the new skill level thing second hand, I could be wrong about how it will affect the existing kits. I meant to ask Ed Sexton about it at NNL East, but forgot. I'll try to get more info.

Nice build...I bought one on Tuesday of this week. There's a video online of one of these Mustang models attached to a stick on a weather balloon with a go-pro camera...filmed it all the way up...and all the way down and the model survived!

Not sure how I will build mine. Likely do something like you and give it a different colour and detail paint to the body keeping it curbside.

Here's the video on YouTube:

Edited by Tony T

Thanks Tony and Jake. I'm thinking I might give this a headlight treatment and make it look more detailed. I saw a pretty impressive headlight job on another forum of this same car. I think I might be able to do it.

Edited by RandyB.

• 4 weeks later...