Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter Ford GT40- 1/12 scale!

jaymcminn

People expect a model (from China no less) to be 100% accurate and not resemble a toy in some ways. Thankfully the aftermarket steps up and makes up for glaring omissions and provides some better parts than the originals if one chooses to "upgrade." The photo etch metal upgrade kits are for those that want to add more details. Of course the modeler can add anything they want and scratch build their own parts too. The kit is not perfect from what I have read but what kit is? Consider the alternative of no kit at all. I have yet to start on mine but when I do will refer back to this fantastic build by Jason. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KS-1-12-GT40-Super-detail-up-pack-for-Trumpeter-KS00007-/250606669197?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3a59524d8d

Thanks, Rex. You are certainly welcome to refer back to my build any time (lots of progress pics in the build thread as well as my Photobucket page) but if you're building the kit using the KA Models detail sets you will definitely want to check out Eric Cole's build of this kit, which used these parts. I heard mixed things about the KA set's usefulness so I decided to invest in the nice tires instead, but Eric's effort with the KA parts shows how much they can contribute to a really amazing model. Eric's build thread is on another forum (but not that one) but he is on this forum and there is a link to his Photobucket page with pics of his GT40 build. I found it incredibly useful in building mine.

Great craftsmanship, that's the first one I've seen built, and there is probably a reason for that. I like the realistic period race car paint finish, smooth but not too glossy. I can see the LeMans style start right now...

-MJS

Thanks, Mike! The paint is Scale Finishes Arcadian Blue enamel, and I really had to modify my painting technique to accommodate the enamel paint. I applied the paint, let it dry for a few weeks, and polished it out using only compounds and cleaner wax to preserve a little bit of orange peel and maintain scale gloss- different from my usual procedure with lacquers, which is to bury it in clear and let the polishing kit sort it out!

Your build, I mean the pictures here, I haven't looked at the progress yet, make me REALLY want to build one myself. I've heard a lot of criticism, which I like to ignore somewhat, knowing that it can be made better and you just proved it. That looks amazing, congratulations to you and should Trumpeter ever re-issue that kit, I hope they do themselves a favor and put your build on the box! YOU sold me on buying one!!!

I know at this point I'm just being redundant, but that is a beautiful job you did with that kit! B)

I really cannot add anything new, I think it has all been said. You have done an outstanding job on this. Thanks for sharing!

• 5 weeks later...

Saw a few pix of this from the Table Top show. Cruised over here to find your final pix and perused the WIP.

Great Job! Need to start saving my pennies, cause I want to build one. Hope it comes out half as nice as this one.

Hope to see it in person soon!