Model Cars Magazine Forum

Possible to remove old water slide decals...Safely?

Hello! I'm a newby. I would like to know if there is anyway possible to remove OLD water slide decals. I'm talking about 35 years old probably. I have dug out an old model of the Hurst Hairy Olds, which decals are in great shape, but the paint, not so good. I am going to repaint, and would like to reuse these decals, using new glue from another water slide decal sheet. I am afraid if these decals are loosened, they will crumble into pieces. Don't think finding replacements would be too easy. Thanks for any suggestions!

I have never found a way to loosen the adhesive holding decals. Sandpaper is my only suggestion... or paint stripper and buy another decal sheet!

However, that said. Try some experimenting as you have nothing to lose. I would try soaking them in a pan of water the size of the body. Add compounds to the water and let it sit.

Water soluble elements such as glass cleaner, alcohol and even decal set would be my first tests. Have some patience with this process as you want the solution to work slowly.

Keep the solution weak at first and slowly bring up the concentration day by day.

Do one element at a time! Do not mix the elements unless you KNOW what goes together. Wouldn't be good to hear that the process boiled over, melted the body or exploded in your face!

If you ruin the decals... then ask around. Someone on this board must have another set of unused decals.

What is the car?

Oh yes... if you indeed manage to pull the decals from the body... storage will be a problem. I would find some wax paper and lay each on a small square of wax paper and allow it to dry. Then, re-adhear it to the new paint with "future" floor wax. Good luck and let us know what worked.

I have never found a way to loosen the adhesive holding decals. Sandpaper is my only suggestion... or paint stripper and buy another decal sheet!

However, that said. Try some experimenting as you have nothing to lose. I would try soaking them in a pan of water the size of the body. Add compounds to the water and let it sit.

Water soluble elements such as glass cleaner, alcohol and even decal set would be my first tests. Have some patience with this process as you want the solution to work slowly.

Keep the solution weak at first and slowly bring up the concentration day by day.

Do one element at a time! Do not mix the elements unless you KNOW what goes together. Wouldn't be good to hear that the process boiled over, melted the body or exploded in your face!

If you ruin the decals... then ask around. Someone on this board must have another set of unused decals.

What is the car?

Oh yes... if you indeed manage to pull the decals from the body... storage will be a problem. I would find some wax paper and lay each on a small square of wax paper and allow it to dry. Then, re-adhear it to the new paint with "future" floor wax. Good luck and let us know what worked.

Thanks for the input. the Hurst Hairy Olds body has been soaking in water for about 4 days. I know the decals will come off now with an old toothbrush, I've done that on models before, but haven't tried glass cleaner, or anything else, for that matter, just warm soapy water. Like you said, I don't have anything to lose. Thanks again!

Since decal adhesive is water soluble, soaking the body long enough might just work to get those old decals off, but once they're off they'll be almost impossible to use. You'll most likely tear a couple, they'll curl up when they dry and will be brittle, you'll have no easy way to reapply them, etc.

A much better way to go is just buy new decals. Here's one source:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/vintagedecals/monogram.html

Since decal adhesive is water soluble, soaking the body long enough might just work to get those old decals off, but once they're off they'll be almost impossible to use. You'll most likely tear a couple, they'll curl up when they dry and will be brittle, you'll have no easy way to reapply them, etc.

A much better way to go is just buy new decals. Here's one source:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/vintagedecals/monogram.html

Thanks for the website... They do have a sheet for the "Hurst Hairy Olds", pretty inexpensive too. If I go that route, I better get with it, seems they're (CLOSING THEIR DOORS) for good.Thank You VERY MUCH!

Hold your horses, guys! I have done this several times. It mostly requires patience. I soak the decalled body in water for AS LONG AS IT TAKES. I would say 4-6 weeks will do it. I then lay the decal on some clear decal sheet and brush some super film over that. It goes back on like a normal decal. With all of the Alps and replacement decals being made today it would take something unusual to go through all of that effort to save it but it definitely can be done.

Andy

Hello! I'm a newby. I would like to know if there is anyway possible to remove OLD water slide decals. I'm talking about 35 years old probably. I have dug out an old model of the Hurst Hairy Olds, which decals are in great shape, but the paint, not so good. I am going to repaint, and would like to reuse these decals, using new glue from another water slide decal sheet. I am afraid if these decals are loosened, they will crumble into pieces. Don't think finding replacements would be too easy. Thanks for any suggestions!

Quanah ,

Try a piece of scotch tape , it will pull the decals off , if not packing tape will ! Press the tape to the decal and gently pull . You might have to repeat this several times , but , it works. As for saving the decals , uh uh ! Not gonna happen , Kiddo . Once they are on , in my experience , they are done , especially 35 year old ones. Believe me, somewhere out there , one of these plastic psychotics has some stashed ! If you are going to repaint the car anyway , soak it in a tupperware container of brake fluid , it will all come off , paint and decals together!

The Old Man