Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transferring Rattle Can Paint for Airbrushing

I know harry - I just thought that dumping that much propellant was more harmful than I originally thought.

I guess these days what they use is basically harmless. Progress, ya know? :D

My guess is the actual paint itself is way more harmful than the propellant!

I've never heard of anyone doing this with a spray can...has it ever "NOT" worked for you ??? Was there a test period of getting the right amount of time in between steps.. ;)

I get a lot of touch up cans from work, I may have to try this out.

I've never had a problem with this process. As with anything, timing is critical. Normally, my wait time is over night as I mostly work in the evening after work. If you wait that long then you will never have any issues. I developed this idea because Mark Jones mentioned on time that using the other methods you leave a fair bit of paint in the can. Being frugel, I didn't want to leave any paint as it cost quite a bit per ounce.

I collect my wife's empty water bottles, I prefer the smaller ones.

I let them air dry completely.

A day or two later, I peel off the labels, grab rubber or latex gloves, grab a bottle and my spray can.

I take this outside and just spray the paint into the clean dry water bottle. Really not that messy unless your hands shake, LOL.

Very easy to get it all in the bottle and not all over the outside.

I then keep an eye on the bottle and remove the lid every so often to let the gas out.

I hardly ever use anymore thinner.

Cheap and effective I think. Plus, you can see what color the left over paint is without having to mark it. It will keep for quite some time also.

I made the mistake of trying to spray directly into my airbrush cup...but only once.

Have not tried the straw ideas, looks good though.

I do wait until the paint has gassed out before using it with my airbrush.

For clean up, throw the gloves and empty paint can away.

• 5 months later...