Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coffin Trike (last completion of 4 from last week)

Mr. Metallic

Well, this model is Randy Meyers fault (aka Randfink). We had been talking recently about what to do with the Shaker Trike kit once you steal the cool springer front end like a lot of people seem to be doing since the Revell choppers came out. Then in the latest issue of the KKIM newsletter he had some renderings of some ideas for the kit. Well, I was blown away by the Lil'Coffin inspired trike he had thought up. With only a week before our semi-annual meeting I decided to suprise him by actually building his idea. I had pulled off a "one week wonder" previously, so I felt that I would be able to do it again.

All I really used from the Shaker Trike was the frame, handle bars and seat. I wanted something more unique than the SBC that comes with the kit, but couldn't think of anything different in 1/12 scale. I decided since this was a flight of fancy I could mix scales. I plundered a Minicraft 1/16 Model A hot rod kit(If you've never built one of these, I highly recommend it, the detail and buidability is top rate!) I took the engine and rearend. Then I attacked my parted out revell Lil' Coffin kit. I took the body and grille shell. The rest is all Revell chopper. The color is Tamiya Mica Red over white. The skulls in the seats are from the new Hot Wheels rat rod pickup, the shifter skull is the 1/8 Little T shifter skull, and the taillight skulls are from the Hot Wheels Rigor Motor. Rear grille is from an AMT '49 Merc, narrowed and flattened out. The frame also received a more dramatic rake.

This was a lot of fun. It was built in 7 days, in conjunction with the 3 other models that I finshed up. What a blast I had last week. It has spurred me on to finish a bunch of other ongoing projects I've got started, so stay tuned, and thanks for looking.

000_0078-vi.jpg

000_0086-vi.jpg

000_0087-vi.jpg

000_0088-vi.jpg

000_0089-vi.jpg

000_0090-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/crstan/finished_mo...coffin-chopper/