Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

My wife gave me a mini tripod as part of a Christmas gift. She bought it at a dollar store. It broke before I could get the camera mounted to it... cheap plastic.

Edited by Jon Cole

• 5 weeks later...

Here are a few shots of what I use...A big heavy fully adjustable tripod, one hot light (daylight balance) bounced into a silver umbrella...a few colored scrims and boards to move light around...I also use the camera flash for my front fill. I do have a couple of other light bars on stands...rarely used do to subject size.

I move everything around for even flat lighting and fill in the shadows...The new Dio as my backround eleminates the need for white or grey posterboards and paper.

Then I zoom to compose.....

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

This is an older Lowe Light set....its an older "hotlight" setup with multiple heads, scrims, umbrellas, holders, cords, stands and 3 different sets of bulbs.

3 different color temps I got this for under $50. at a photo swap meet...look a round for older "film" accessories..deals abound

Just for the record..I have about 3 times the $$$ in the tripod....down to the ground and to the sky....I have another fluid type head for my 4X5 this is just the quick release one for my digital canon

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

• 5 months later...

Many of us start out simply learning to take pictures of our models, or models in progress, and the enjoyment of photography begins there. We put our imaginations to work. Next time, we put our custom or hot rod model on a bed of cotton, or black plexiglass to have some fun with glamour photos, then when that's not enough (when is it enough, right?) we move to creating special back drops for our models, bet it a garage scene or an abandoned industrial base . . . the sooner or later we realize that the eye-candy we crave as builders is always rooted in taking the best photos we can. It's fun, it's a learning experience, and over time it's the one constant that makes this integral part of the hobby so much fun.

Over the years, I've learned plenty from master builders and dioramists the likes of Ken Hamilon, someone I definitely keep returning to for more inspiration like this build Mr. Hamilton made and keeps in his Fotki archives.

It's started with this couple of real life pictures:

DRIVER1-vi.jpg

DRIVER-vi.jpg

And then moved to this:

P5110004-vi.jpg

BLAZERA7-vi.jpg

And the fun continued:

BlazerA27-vi.jpg

Of course, the other thing I would say is that you DON'T have to use your own work to get a topic of interest started. You also don't have to use any photos whatsoever, but you know, eye candy seems to be the currency exchange on this forum, as it normally is elsewhere.

Please explain . . .

From Wikipedia:

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. The term—a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock—originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an internet community who spoke to, or about himself while pretending to be another person.[1] The term now includes other uses of misleading online identities, such as those created to praise, defend or support a third party or organization.[2] A significant difference between the use of a pseudonym[3] and the creation of a sockpuppet is that the sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer.

PM me for more info if you wish.

J, I think you might have scared of the good Dr. with that definition! ;)

I am sure he'll return for another round of WHY-DOES-DOCTOR-CRANKY-NEED-SO-MUCH-ATTENTION?

Clearly, EYEGORE, who is always very quiet and soft-spoken, would like to know that too! :lol:

Okay, hopefully we can get back to the subject at hand . . . if anyone is still interested, that is . . .