Model Cars Magazine Forum

A/SR '32 Ford Roadster

tim boyd

I posted a couple pictures of this in the Rat Roaster thread under kit reviews, and it made me think that I don't think I've ever posted details of this build here in the Drag Racing Forum, which is where it really belongs.

Here was the model as originally completed.

DSC_0481-vi.jpg

After the magazine how-to article about three years ago, I continued to modify the car, adding a small windshield visor, changing the headers from zoomies to SuperStock style spaghetti style which is more accurate for a carbed engine, yanking the tiny push bars for a more substantial unit, adding parachute and wheelie bars, remounting the IP at a more realistic angel, and tweaking a few other details. Here's the car after those mods...

DSC_0290-vi.jpg

DSC_0293-vi.jpg

There are about 20 pictures including closeups of the engine, etc. at the link: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-drag-racing-do/boyd-drag-racing-do/page5.html

Thanks for looking...>TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Looks Awesome Tim!!

May I ask what paint and color you used on this car :D

Thanks Joe. Sure - it was Black Gold House of Kolor "Blueberry" Pearl Clear spray, over Black Gold House of Kolor Silver Metatllic. The white stripes were, IIRC, from the "BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Yankee" 'cuda funny car decal sheet from Slixx.

Best regards...TIM

nice. and i like the idea of never having it finished, but rather continue to evolve.

Thanks Joe. Yeah, I was looking at that parachute tonight and thinking that I need to refinish it in my "signature" flat dark olive drab military flats color. I never got around to adding a carb throttle linkage - the only detail missing from the engine compartment. And there are about ten other fine tuning points I'd like to do some day...well maybe not ten, but five? TIM

Bill...Stephen, thanks for your comments! TIm

Now that is one of your best, Tim! As an aside, Ive been working on a 49 Merc I chopped back in the 80's following your instructions in Street Rodder.

Glenn....thanks!

And it's great to hear that an article I wrote nearly 35 years ago is still helping you with a new build project.

Please share pictures of that '49 Merc when you are ready! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Glenn....thanks!

And it's great to hear that an article I wrote nearly 35 years ago is still helping you with a new build project.

Please share pictures of that '49 Merc when you are ready! TIM

That would be a hoot, eh? The fascinating thing is I started it way back when, following your article and using tube glue and testor's putty. It suffered a fall and the front a post is cracked. I'll start a "Tim Boyd" thread!