Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Chevy Caprice kit questions

I've started working on the Round2 MPC '76 Chevy Caprice and have a few things that I need some help on since there is no painting guide provided in the instructions and I'm basically ignorant of certain details. I would like to do the Auto World car carrier model as shown on the box art to get some decal practice. * is a stock Chevy engine of this era supposed to be red with a silver colored transmission? * what size spark plug wires (is telephone wire too big?) and what is the firing order? * are the exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe painted steel like the rest of the exhaust system or more blackish? * where would I find pictures of a painting scheme for the interior as a good guide? * regarding the taillights for the bonus trailer, are the two outside lights red and the two inner ones amber? * what are suitable colors for a trailer from this era? Thank you very much for all your help...

76caprice2.jpg

I always look at eBay Motors first when I'm looking for reference photos. Some people will post a huge amount of photos that are perfect for build details. This week there were no '76 Caprices for sale. Then go to Google Images. There are literally 100s of photos that came up including the one above. Click on an image you like and it may lead you to a web page about the car that will have more info.

Stripped out phone wire might be okay. Look for around 0.020" wire.

The engine for a Chevy in 1976, from what I remember being told, was still orange. The TH400 is an aluminum case.

Your kit has a 454. This is the wiring diagram. http://sportscars2013.com/picture/here-is-a-pic-of-the-454-big-block-chevy-engine-wiring-diagram-cheers

TOCMP has a full '76 full-size Chevy brochure. The picture Tom posted depicts the optional "Sport Cloth" upholstery from an Impala. The standard Caprice trim is a heavy-pile knit velour in blue, black, dark mahogany (a dark red), and buckskin. Vinyl came in dark mahogany, buckskin, or white with black, blue, buckskin, dark mahogany or lime accents (and the lime IS lime!- think Revell '77 Monte Carlo green, which is actually pretty close).

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1976_Chevrolet/1976_Chevrolet_Brochure/1976%20Chevrolet%20Full%20Size-04.html

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1976_Chevrolet/1976_Chevrolet_Brochure/1976%20Chevrolet%20Full%20Size-05.html

Enjoy

Charlie Larkin

A very good source for reference pics is simply to do a Google search for the year/make/model of car in question. When the search comes up, simply click on "Images", and whatever images (pics) of that car that Google knows about will load--be not afraid to repeat the search every few days though, as pics online do come and go.

Art