Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24-25 hotrod garage diorama

crazyrichard

yesterday i took some scrap styrene and made a cabinet , just real simple to put somewhere when taking pictures ...put some chrome knobs on the doors , will ad a decal to the side maybe ...

That looks great Richard! Guys, as Richard said, this is a simple piece. Once you've got the eye, you can break an item like this down to shapes and make it out of Evergreen sheet or basswood very easily. You can even start out with a small plastic box shape you find in your parts box!

It is very fulfilling to be able to sit down and produce something like this start to finish in one sitting. A good way to get past modelers block!

thnx guys !!

That looks great Richard! Guys, as Richard said, this is a simple piece. Once you've got the eye, you can break an item like this down to shapes and make it out of Evergreen sheet or basswood very easily. You can even start out with a small plastic box shape you find in your parts box!

It is very fulfilling to be able to sit down and produce something like this start to finish in one sitting. A good way to get past modelers block!

well you actually hit the nail on the head :)
some things actually are so simple .. i often use like scrap stuff i find anywhere ... in this dio i actually used mainly scrap plastics ..
the only evergreen / bought plastic is the one from the frame of the heater on the wall ..

its just a case of using all sorts of stuff , i dont know how you call in in the usa but in holland we call it lamellen ..
they are like plastic screens for a window

like this

9200000011132702.jpg

when they are old people trow them away if you can get a hold on something like that you have like a whole lot of free plastic
its hard and not like styrene but with plastruct glue you can glue it (not as easy as styrene it takes longer to bond)
but again you will have loads of it and its free ..
they also come in ribbed design i used those for the lower part on the walls ...

old toys also have many parts you can use :)

beside the whole for free thing i always enjoy recycling stuff and using it in a difefrent way :)

Sjeezus...ik zie dit nu pas..shame on me.

this looks so real..in some pictures it even has a sinister look to it..must have taken lots of time an reconsideration at some point

it almost got me wondering about doing something similar myself but,

A..i haven't got the skills

B..i only build 1/12 ..so it would take a whole bedroom..

but keep up the good work..you're taking this to 'modelbrouwersdag' ?...whatever that is...

Sjeezus...ik zie dit nu pas..shame on me.

this looks so real..in some pictures it even has a sinister look to it..must have taken lots of time an reconsideration at some point

it almost got me wondering about doing something similar myself but,

A..i haven't got the skills

B..i only build 1/12 ..so it would take a whole bedroom..

but keep up the good work..you're taking this to 'modelbrouwersdag' ?...whatever that is...

hey thnx and well no it took no reconsideration at all thats the fun part ..

it was ment as a simple garage environment to take shots of my hotrods .... but ... it got out of hand ..

the outside isnt nice thats because it started as a fhoto booth idea .and evolved into what it is now ..

and tbh i did not have any real experience with this just start and be creative and for a 1/12 you can still make something really really detailed and awsome in a small size ..

lets say like a base plate you put a car on so the dio is just slightly bigger then the car

and yes this dio is showed on the brouwersdag in gorichem , first time for me i will go to a modelbuild related fair ...

they asked me if i would come and show the dio there

its just a case of using all sorts of stuff , i dont know how you call in in the usa but in holland we call it lamellen ..

they are like plastic screens for a window like this

9200000011132702.jpg

when they are old people trow them away if you can get a hold on something like that you have like a whole lot of free plastic

its hard and not like styrene but with plastruct glue you can glue it (not as easy as styrene it takes longer to bond)

but again you will have loads of it and its free ..

they also come in ribbed design i used those for the lower part on the walls ...

We call those window blinds, and because of the direction (up and down versus side to side) we call them vertical blinds. Yes, they are hard plastic here in the USA too. You can recycle used ones, or go to the store and ask for the scraps when they cut them to size to fit windows!

• 1 month later...

its like 30-39 degrees here in holland pfftt its hot .. but i just realised this is the perfect weather to take some outside shots of the garage ..
all winter taking pics resulted in dark and not really clear pictures , like the tones and colors dont come across ..
and the fact that i use a samsung gsm for taking pics dont help either :) (these are also taken with my cell phone)

these really show the detail better and the colors / tones and weathering , hope you like em :)

995761_330686050397645_1620561390_n.jpg

555266_330686053730978_370480892_n.jpg

944293_330686077064309_984306875_n.jpg

1006272_330686083730975_1430396765_n.jpg

1001685_330686100397640_2058989063_n.jpg

998057_330686110397639_655441624_n.jpg

and last a atmosphere pic with strong sunlight through the window(s)

1010372_330686043730979_139834703_n.jpg