Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Dukes of Hazzard 1/16th scale Charger

Dragline

• 1 year later...

It's a fun kit to build for a car from a TV show.

95% of the people outside the serious model community that see this big General Lee aren't going to care that it's not a spot on TV replica. Paint the interior tan, orange the body and you're set for the most famous TV car to ever hit the screen. Just my opinion though.

Now the old MPC 1/25th kit with the glaringly wrong body, people noticed that difference easily. And they've fixed that on the new ones of course.

Lots of flash, parting lines, injection marks- I spent 3 solid days scraping (xacto), sanding and cleaning. The plastic is thicker on one side of the body. The front wheel wells are cut like Nascar type- . There are certain parts in the kit that appear to go to the nascar Petty that are not on the instructions. The roll cage is too short. If you were driving the car it would obstruct your vision. The instructions don't have part names. The front loop may be a little warped. The cowl doesn't have the same bow as the back of the hood (on mine). The front sus is tricky. I'll prob have to glue mine so the ride heigth is what I want. The dash instruments are cheesy. I built an all new dash face and guages. I've only just started to build mine. It's all painted though and ready to go. It looks like test fitting is the #1 thing to do with this kit. I really like mine and I'll fight with it and get it right eventually. I hope the Petty kit is better but I bet it's the same build wise . You may want to figure out where you don't want to follow certain steps in the instructions. I've had to skip around a bit because I think it's easier to build that way.. I've added brake lines and other detail parts and have had to figure when to do them so I don't get messed up further down the line. It's a bit of a challenge this kit. I've had worse though.

I've got the Dukes kit and I'll be picking up the Petty Charger next weekend after payday as I've been waiting for that kit to come out for quite awhile (its a pity they couldn't do the clear body, but its no great loss as I would have painted it anyway). For my Dukes kit, I plan to convert it into Jim Vandiver's Charger (the white #3 owned by Ray Fox and made famous by Buddy Baker) which finished second at the 1969 Talladega 500.