Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need to know the $ value of this conversion kit for trade purposes

Monty

Years ago, I came across a rather unique ebay bid. The seller was offering a Heller Ferrari 512S kit along with an UMi modellwerke conversion kit to change it into a 512M.

The conversion kit contains a vacuum-cast body in thin, white plastic as well as a thin, clear vacuum-cast plastic body. (The instruction sheet tells why both are included). You also get Fred Cady Sunoco decals, a P/E set and an instruction pamphlet.

I recently traded my 512S kit away, so I no longer have any need for this, but I'd like to know what its value is, as I'll probably put it up for trade. I wasn't able to find anything current on ebay, so... what do you think it's worth, and what are you basing that on?

I think it's worthless, based on the resin Ferrari 712 Can-Am car I got from UMi modellwerke. I thought I might actually cry when I opened the box. After letting it sit in the stash for a few years, I decided to throw it away. Having a conscience, I couldn't sleep at night if I had sold it to anyone who thought it could ever be more than a paper weight. I mentioned that to a guy who sells resin kits and he offered me a Fisher 512 Coda Lunga in trade. I made sure he knew what a piece of garbage this kit was. He wanted to make it look like a 712 and sell copies. That was 12 years ago. He apparently gave up on it.

Maybe you could donate it to the Model Car Builder's Museum. It is a piece of model car history.

You did ask.