Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari SA Aperta

martinfan5

Getting started on this now, going to be using Scale Finishes paint, Ferrari Electric blue, not much to show, right now.
krf1.jpg
Here is the paint
FSA2_zps7bbc68f9.jpg
First the body out of the box, and yes, the hood and body are molded in two different colors :headscratch:
FSA_zps1e8bd0d7.jpg
in primer and getting the mold lines removed
IMG_0001a_zps62c278e8.jpg
Should done the spoon test first,but I like the way the blue looked over white primer vs gray primer, so now the body in white primer
IMG_0002_zps6b10c4dc.jpg

hey johnny

i have yet to try the scalefinishszzzz (or however you spell it in possessive form) paints yet. can you give us a brief rundown of how they flow what thinners are needed and what clear to use. also any troubles you may have come across.

the car looks great. i cant wait to get mine.

Might be too late Jonathan, but have you considered polishing the paint instead of using clear? Or do you clear-coat first and then polish?

Troy, yes, it is a bit late ;) , I have already got the clear on, but I am still perfecting the polishing , so I burn through no matter what I do, I am getting better, if I skip the sanding part, and use a rubbing compound to smooth out the paint, for the most part, I dont burn through, but it never fails, when wet sanding, I will burn through somewhere .

hey johnny

i have yet to try the scalefinishszzzz (or however you spell it in possessive form) paints yet. can you give us a brief rundown of how they flow what thinners are needed and what clear to use. also any troubles you may have come across.

the car looks great. i cant wait to get mine.

Gary, Scale Finishes paint is great, its very much worth the money, the paint comes pre thinned and ready to paint, the flow is good too, I have used Duplicolor , Testor lacquer clears, and I am using Mr Hobby clear for this one, the Scion FRS, the Merc SL65 AMG I used Mr Hobby clear. I shoot the paint between 25-30 PSI, I would have to double check what I have it set at

The only troubles I have had, was mine own doing, I got little excited and put to much paint on at once , and it crazed the body, but , it was also an Aoshima body, and the plastic is very sensitive , I talked to Jameston about it, and we figured out it was my fault :lol: , but he was willing to help ;)

Body after the second semi wet coat

IMG_0029SA_zpsa2005293.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Once again... Great work Jonathan! Loving that blue mate! I note the problems you mention about never failing to "burr" through, when polishing following a wet sand. Maybe the grit of the sanding cloth might be too harsh, especially when following it up with a harsh polishing compound?

As the Asperta stands now, to get an even better shine, try a very smooth & light wet sand with 4 or maybe even 6000 grit, just enough to take out & smooth down any orange peel. Follow this up with another 3-4 light to medium clear coats. Let gas out fully then wet sand again with 4-6000 grit. If you're happy with the final sand then start the polishing, but do it section by section & go slow mate.... The faster you go the more friction/heat gets to the paint... This causing "burring" ;-)

Hope this might help you out mate.

Cheers Cliffo

ps: stop building so quick!! I can't keep up with your builds! Lol!

Very nice job Jonathan! It's looking good.

As for scalefinishes. The label he posted says it is a basecoat and requires a clearcoat. Other paints of scalefinishes are single stage and do not require clearcoats. Most of the ones I bought are single stage and come out very shinny.

Raoul, you are right, I forgot that he does have single stage paint, I believe those are enamel based paint, I have not used those yet, glad you brought that up

Well here is what I have done so far

Here are the brakes

IMG_0025_zpsdb350a57.jpg

and the interior , almost done

IMG_0048_zps43ed4d04.jpg

IMG_0049_zps19da7f9f.jpg

and working on getting the head/taillights done

IMG_0045_zpsab8cb2e2.jpg

IMG_0046_zps55b9097d.jpg

and I decided to go with body color instead of the chrome look for the mirrors and windshield frame

IMG_0047_zps569dddd7.jpg

and a quick mock up shows that this Ferrari kit is just like all of the other Ferrari kits, suffers from to high ride height

IMG_0026_zps12b10618.jpg

and here is the new ride height

IMG_0044_zps90995204.jpg

Edited by martinfan5