Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell announces new line of snap kits

gasman

7 Lego sets sold per second per Lego

They made 381 million tires in 2010

Company profit was $1.44 Billion in '13.

More profitable than Mattel.

10 years ago, the company was near death.

New blood/builders are essential, If my customer base was dying off, I'd do far more than cater to the 15-20 years they had left. I'd aim to get kids and the second generation of same.

Ask how many here still have flip phones, not smart phones. Big gap with Lego audience, and kids game with same patience as they build. Many do both. If model companies sold to 1/10 of 1% of same market, they'd make 220,000 kits, sell 25 kits/hr, and make 381,000 tires. Gross sales $5,500,000.at $25/kit.

Don't change a thing. That extra customer base and $ will just spoil the business. :rolleyes::wacko:

7 Lego sets sold per second per Lego

They made 381 million tires in 2010

Company profit was $1.44 Billion in '13.

More profitable than Mattel.

10 years ago, the company was near death.

New blood/builders are essential, If my customer base was dying off, I'd do far more than cater to the 15-20 years they had left. I'd aim to get kids and the second generation of same.

Ask how many here still have flip phones, not smart phones. Big gap with Lego audience, and kids game with same patience as they build. Many do both. If model companies sold to 1/10 of 1% of same market, they'd make 220,000 kits, sell 25 kits/hr, and make 381,000 tires. Gross sales $5,500,000.at $25/kit.

Don't change a thing. That extra customer base and $ will just spoil the business. :rolleyes::wacko:

See Airfix' new Quick Build series. Fit together just like Lego (pieces are even compatible). So far only 2 cars (Veyron and Aventador) but they've done several planes. I expect to see more of these, sales have been promising.

airfix-quick-build.png

As long as the parts go together well and the finished model looks realistic, this certainly won't hurt our hobby. Come on- some of us more-experienced builders will probably get some just as slump-busters. This might even be a worthwhile category at contests, whether in-club or the larger, regional events.

Lego... Company profit was $1.44 Billion in '13. 10 years ago, the company was near death.

The model companies need to kidnap their whiz kid! There has to be some genius behind this revival!

Honestly, I'd rather see a well-done snap kit with an ACCURATE body and a decent interior than a full-detail kit with a dubious or mediocre body

wise words. A dozen years ago we'd all have rather died than work on a curbside... a snapper even worse! Now, I'm happy to concentrate on an interior and a body. I'm having a lot of fun with the Lindberg Dodge Caravans.. I am detailing out a Chevette promo... ya know what? The Chevette engine bay isn't interesting enough to spend time on! And I'm about to start a few Revell PT Cruisers!

Edited by Tom Geiger

As long as the parts go together well and the finished model looks realistic, this certainly won't hurt our hobby. Come on- some of us more-experienced builders will probably get some just as slump-busters. This might even be a worthwhile category at contests, whether in-club or the larger, regional events.

Well said

Honestly, I'd rather see a well-done snap kit with an ACCURATE body and a decent interior than a full-detail kit with a dubious or mediocre body (like many recent releases.)

And agreed

Good call, I think a contest category for "Snap" kits is a good idea. I've seen some really well done models that tarted out as a "Snap" kit.

I did well at two MASSCAR contests with the Lindberg snap Dakota kit- both were left unpainted, except for interiors and trim. They were entered in "shelf" categories, if I remember correctly. And Tom, I have one of the snap Caravans in stock, too- ready to be a pizza delivery vehicle. One of my two previous Caravan builds survives, one (a dark green pro-Yup) bit the dust the hard way :( ...

Edited by johnbuzzed

And Tom, I have one of the snap Caravans in stock, too- ready to be a pizza delivery vehicle. One of my two previous Caravan builds survives, one (a dark green pro-Yup) bit the dust the hard way :( ...

A funny thing John... I have my Caravan Taxi and CV with the metal sides. Once I screwed up the CV paint job I wanted to keep it for now, and start again with a fresh body. I checked my stash and I had no more. Checked eBay and there weren't any for sale that week, so I dumped the body in the drink. Then I did a deeper dive into the stash and found 3 more unbuilt kits. So we will be seeing more Caravans from my bench. And that will include a replica of my 1:1 high top.

Wonder how much coaxing it would take for Round 2 to reissue the Caravan?

Tom- cool to see you starting on some PTs. You'll have fun with those.

I was hoping to persuade Round 2 to release the Caravan with my Taxi and CV versions. It would pretty much be a decal set, with a few new parts... taxi meter, taxi ad topper, maybe a set of plain wheels and a ladder for the CV.

Problem is that they are very busy with their current program and have many kits with more profit potential ahead of this!

And for the PT Cruisers...

cruiser1-vi.jpg

I saw this one in a New Jersey Turnpike rest stop and can't get it out of my mind... I don't think I'd try for an exact replica but I have ideas of beer livery... stay tuned!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Wonder how much coaxing it would take for Round 2 to reissue the Caravan? I'd buy another one or two, and might even make a C/V out of one.

Tom- cool to see you starting on some PTs. You'll have fun with those.

Charlie Larkin

I hate to say it but I doubt that the Caravan will ever see it's day on store shelves again. And besides you can pick them up at show fairly cheap, heck I've literally seen a vendor throw one away cursing at it that he couldn't give it away. I say stock up on them and hoard them for about thirty years and they may be pretty rare! :lol:

I say stock up on them and hoard them for about thirty years and they may be pretty rare! :lol:

I did mention that Round 2 had a lot of stuff that would be ahead of a Caravan reissue. Most folks don't want an 18 year old mini van unless they did something cool with it.

The quote above is pretty funny considering that when I got into this hobby I was buying 15 year old Volare and Pacer kits for $3-5 each. I was actually buying them back then to get the Suburbanite snow tires for my light commercial builds since there weren't a lot of truck type tires in those days. Sad was that I resold some of those kits cheap once I swiped the tires! Now those kits command a decent dollar!

To get back to the original topic, we did a Make n Take event today with the new Mustang and some other snap kits, the new Mustang is the perfect snap kit for a kid. Nobody had trouble with them, they went together quick enough they didn't lose interest. We were doing two models with the kids, most picked the Mustang and another Revell snap car. Some of the others gave the kids trouble. We had to help them out a lot with the other kits and some of those gave even me problems (the Gravedigger chassis - how is any kid supposed to get that thing together? Gave me fits!). I noticed how the kids would start to lose interest after a couple minutes struggling with parts they couldn't figure out. First thing they all - and I mean all - did was tear every single part off the parts tree, even after I said not to! The new Mustang doesn't have parts trees, they're already off. The one they gave out at auto shows already had the grilles and taillights pressed in, in the ones that will be sold in stores they're still separate. The glass is already installed (with the black surrounds already painted) as are the headlights. The axles are already pressed into the wheels (pressing the wheels onto the axles gives most kids problems). Previous snap kits have always been more of a "do it with mom or dad's supervision" but this one can be done by a kid all by themselves.

That's brilliant. 5-10 minutes, a sense of accomplishment, and a nice replica. Makes them want more, parents content, and kid/modeler happy. Plus, first time kit out before 1:1 in a few decades? That's what kids expect. That's what I expect. Revell and Ford nailed this, need to get glue kit out ASAP.

I will build snap kits many were great kits as is...Johans,AMT snapfast plus series,etc. I like them just as much as the full detail kits depending on if there of my interest body style years. Its still fun to build and they have much more possibilities than just being a just a snap kit...the only limits are the ones your mind tries to tell you there are.

IMG_0328-vi.jpg

That's brilliant. 5-10 minutes, a sense of accomplishment, and a nice replica. Makes them want more, parents content, and kid/modeler happy.

Yes, it's a good thing. Above is a photo of the assembled one that Ed Sexton sent to us as a raffle give away car for NNL East. It's signed by everyone on the team that created it. One of a kind!

Many of the modern snap kits build into excellent models. Most of them produced since the Revell Caprice, I'd say.

Agreed. Many moons ago most of my friends in my club ignored snap kits. Then we got involved with a local youth group and ordered several cases of assorted snappers from one of our friendly dealers. We got into it as much as the kids! And all noticed just how cool the kits were, and how easy they went together. We agreed that day was the most models our clan had built all year!

To date, I've done projects based on some of these snap kits. Sometimes it's fun to concentrate on body mods, paint and detailing out an interior rather than working for months on a full detail monster!

I like snap kits, but the '15 Mustang is far more basic than the typical R-M Snap Tite kit--this has no mirrors, no chassis detail (flat plate), no headlight detail--very simplified. Hopefully Revell will do a full detail '15 Mustang sooner than later...

Agreed. Many moons ago most of my friends in my club ignored snap kits. Then we got involved with a local youth group and ordered several cases of assorted snappers from one of our friendly dealers. We got into it as much as the kids! And all noticed just how cool the kits were, and how easy they went together. We agreed that day was the most models our clan had built all year!

To date, I've done projects based on some of these snap kits. Sometimes it's fun to concentrate on body mods, paint and detailing out an interior rather than working for months on a full detail monster!

The Make-N-Take events we've been involved with have rejuvenated some of the guys from our clubs . . . guys who had gotten into non-building slumps . . . the kits are easy ~ not fiddly, enthusiasm-killers ~ and the vicarious thrill of the kids' excitement is just infectious! After a couple of Make-N-Take events, more snappers started showing up at our monthly club contests!

Here's some pics from our event this past Saturday. We had a great turnout.

Read our blog post here: http://megahobbyblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/recap-hobbyfest-2014.html

The local newspapers did a couple articles, this one ran before the event, http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/life/2014/06/13/cool-things-find-barringtons-hobbyfest/10506145/

This one after: http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2014/06/hobbyfest_in_barrington_offers_fun_for_all_ages.html

DSC04853.JPG

DSC04973.JPG

That's me on the right, I thought I was leaning out of the shot. I didn't lean far enough!!!

DSC05026.JPG