Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Dual Superbee builds...Finally!

Guest Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Ok guys i finally have nearly everything i need to build these dual Superbees! Got my purchased kits off ebay today ( bought 2 just in case i stuff up 1 somewhere along the build process... wink.gif ) I've ordered several sets of decals from Keith Marks, including the Red C-stripes i need for the Phantom 'Bee. While waiting for the extra kit i have'nt been sitting idly by, but working on several different little things to get as much detail/accuracy correct with these 'Bees, as possible! Everything i've done to the 1st body i'll replicate for the 2nd body. The Phantom 'Bee will be body A & the Factory correct Hemi 'Bee will be body B. Obviously they'll have different motors, 440-6 pack for the Phantom & Hemi for thr K5 'Bee. Due to this there'll be a few different things done to the chassis, particularily for the Hemi Bee. I'll be adding Torque boxes to it's chassis, cut out & grafted onto the 'Bee's chassis, from the '67 GTX chassis i had lying around wink.gif

Here's what i've done so far....

New body, straight out of box, with corrected/amended body.

kitbody2.jpg

kitc-pillar.jpg

seam mold lines...near C-pillars...blink.gif

kitseamlines2.jpg

I sanded off the original chrome trim, A-pillars through to C-pillars, as it was all uneven & needed a more complete defination..

A-pillartrim.jpg

c-pillartrim.jpg

Added C-pillar trim across rear for viynl roof.

interiorheadliner1.jpg

interiorheadliner2.jpg

Used sheet styrene for interior headliner. Carefully trimmed front glass for the headliner to fit nice & snug.

Guest Sickfish

Scribed new, correct front lip panel lines

frontvalance.jpg

shaved off the molded- on door handles & replaced with door handles from Revell '69 Charger kit.

newdoorhandles.jpg

Cut off the molded-on indicator lights on front lip & replaced with prats box clear plastic indicators, shaped like originals...

frontlipindicators.jpg

more....

Guest Sickfish

Using the rear-end from the '69 Dart for the Phantom 'Bee. Added U-bolts & will be adding the nuts after the leaf-springs painted/detailed...

DanadiffU-bolts3.jpg

DanadiffU-bolts2.jpg

Scratch-built new suspension shocks from aluminium/brass tubing & using scale -repo nuts/bolts..

IMG_0349.jpg

rearsuspension.jpg

Phew!! Now i gotta go replicate most of this for the new/2nd body!! blink.gif Stay tuned....wink.gif

Cheers Cliffo!

Guest Sickfish

Hi & thankyou guys!! Dave, you're not wrong mate i am...blink.gif ...I had the Dana 8 3/4 spare & it look's so ###### nice i thought i'd use it...rolleyes.gif You're correct that 440/6 cars used the Dana 9 3/4 60 rear. I was going to use the Dana 60 for the factory Hemi car & since it wasn't a great deal of effort to make the U-bolts for the 8 3/4 rear, i guess i'll re-do it for the "correct" 9.3/4 rear....biggrin.gif

Russ, i see that you've added me as a friend?? Mate any guy who love's the smell of Mopars in the morning is indeed a friend of mine! wink.gif

Guys i'm hugely excited about doing my first stcok Mopar builds, in more than a decade, & gonna be putting in a big effort to get 'em right & lookin' sharp, so if anyone of you see's or think's i've made a boo-boo somewhere, please feel free to bring it to my attention, as Dave did with the rear end....wink.gif

Until the next update, drop the clutch, hit the LOUD pedal & LAUNCH....

Cheers, Cliffo!!

Guest Sickfish

Cheers & thanks Brad! I'm kinda hoping these Beez will be better...wink.gif

Brizio, it's great that you're building a Mopar too, but these are 1970 Superbees & they're different to the '69 you're building. Most notably the body shape. Everything else is pretty much the same for '68-70 Bees except the motor's wiring, as from 1970 onwards restrictions for exhaust gases etc meant all car companys had to add parts to get compliance. Here's a couple of pics of the 69 Vs 70 440/6...

A12 1969 & 1/2 Superbee...

2_1241814282IMG24.jpg

1970 440/6 pack Superbee...

2_1267134358IMG26.jpg

As far as i know these 2 Bees are 100% factory stock restored, by Best Of Show Automotives & these guys are 1 of the best in the biz for restorations..wink.gif

Cheers Cliffo!

To add some info Cliff..........the 69&1/2 six-pack intakes were cast aluminum from Edelbrock. 1970 and later were cast iron from Mopar themselves. Some early build '70 Bees got the Aluminum unit, and the MPC kit contains the early unit. Keep us posted Cliff............I might just have to drag my '70 Bee back out and kick it into gear again.

Guest Sickfish

True Brian, true. Amazing then, that MPC/RC2 could add the Edlbrock emblem on the Manifold but stuff up with the length...blink.gif Lol! I went hard on the 2nd body as soon as i got the box opened last night & am half way to making all the alterations that i've made with the 1st body... Lotsa work...wink.gif

Brian....get your 'Bee out ALREADY!! laugh.gifwink.gif

Cheers Cliffo!

Went digging today Cliff..........yanked her out of the dark corner she was sitting in. I am converting the 440+6 into a fuel-injected unit, and turning the carbs into Throttle Bodies. I am blending the running gear (brakes/wheels/tires/some suspension bits) from the Revell SRT8 Challenger with this car, plus adding some custom bits. Keep us updated on yours, and I'll see if I can start a thread on my junk 'Bee!

Brad

Guest Sickfish

Brian you're a BAD BAD man....especially when i've got another Superbee & 2 09 Revell Challengers in my stash!!

Edited by Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Thankyou Marcos! I checked out your 71/70 Cudas mate & you did really great work with them!! They look awsome mate!

Guys i tried updating with some pics earlier today, 3 times, & all 3 times my post didn't get posted...don't know what the hell is going on??

Cheers Cliffo!

Edited by Sickfish

;)

Hey Cliffo!

Yeah, we Mopar guys have to stay together!

:rolleyes:

I have an AMT '70 Super Bee on the shelf, Testors Metalflake Red with the white trunk stripe, Flat Black interior with Khaki panels and Golden Brown trim, Pistol grip and a 440 6 pack.

:D

Really like the "extra" detailing your doing, will be taking notes for a future build then.

Thank You for sharing!

Later

Russ

;)

Say, do they still have the beer in the yellow can with the red "x"s on it there???

:P :P :P :P

Guest Sickfish

G'day Russ!! Yep we Mopar boys gotta stick together, 'cause i think we're slowly starting to "show-up" them blue oval & Chivy boys...wink.giflaugh.gif . You mean 4X, the Queensland beer...yep we still got it...but mate we've got waaaay better ale than that! Only them Queenslanders drink that 4X stuff! Don't know what's avail' over your way, except for VB & Fosters, but we've got at least more than 20 odd different beers that would cream 4X for taste & quality... kinda like a Mopar creaming a ford/Chev down the dragstrip....wink.gif

Mate your 'Bee sound's like it deserve's to be seen?? Why don't you throw some pics up in the Finished build section for us to see???

Gonna try updating, AGAIN!!

Cheers Cliffo!

Guest Sickfish

OK here we go again...this is what i've been trying to upload for the last 2 days....

Got the Hemi 'Bee's trim all re-done, headliner all done too....

HemiBeereplicated.jpg

Got the Torque boxes added to the Hemi's chassis, courtesy of a spare '67 GTX....

Also added the little harness for brake/fuel lines...& added proper drainage holes ( more will be added )

Torqueboxes2.jpg

I went down to the local artist supply store, which to my good fortune is 2 blocks from where i live, & got some of that 3M Artist Adhesive Spray, after another member recommended it, to replicate vinyl roofing...cost me $25 for the can, it's a big can though...& here's the result, after a quick test on an old charger's roof....

vynilrooftest.jpg

This stuff is fantastic!! It's a dead-set vinyl spray...laugh.gif & i've got no problem recommending it to anyone who want's to do the same as i have ( for the vinyl roofing )

I spent most of yesterday morning buying some great after-market detailing stuff from RB Motion & Scale Hardware...Cost $120au....these 'Beez are gonna be my most expensive builds...EVER....but i'm totally fine with that & am hugely excited they're gonna be my most detailed builds to date. I'm really gonna push myself to detail as best i can on these 2, because in the past i've been content with most of my builds, because most have been custom & because detailing stuff like what RBMotion/Scalehardware now sell, were'nt avail' to me prior to my Paypal/Ebay account...wink.gif & now is the time for me to go that couple of extra steps higher on the skill level, mainly to prove to myself that i've improved over the last 30 odd years.

Cost of 'Beez build so far....

Keith Marks decals for both...(US $ ) about 10% more in my aussie $...

$24.00

RBMotion/Scale Hardware nuts/bolts/rods etc

$103.00

Artist Adhesive spray

$25.00

The Superbee kits

$48.00

K5 & V2 True factory paint

$25

These prices include shipping ( except the Adhesive spray & paint ).....so you can see why i won't be rushing these builds & why i'm going all out on them...wink.gif

Cheers Guys & stay tuned...got some free time over the weekend to get more work done....Cliffo! smile.gif

Guest Sickfish

Thankyou Jason!! I really hope i am doing them justcie?! wink.gif The 2nd gen' Chargers 68-70 are my all time favourite Mopars thanks to the good ol' Duke boys wink.gif , but '70 Superbees are a very close 2nd smile.gif !! Go the Dodges!! Man i would love a new Challenger, they've imported the latest 09s but i haven't got $150,000au to buy one!! We get soooooooooooo ripped off on the pricing of US cars here, it's incredibily greedy, compared to what they cost Stateside. Adding conversion from left to right-hand side drive, taxes etc...i'd say the Bas***ds selling them are making a cool $40-55,000au profit!! M*th**f**kers angry.gifangry.gif

Cheers Cliffo!

:lol:

The builds are lookin' super sweet Cliff!

:o

As for the 4x, I haven't had that since my days at Schofield Barracks in '84-'87, some of you Aussies where there for training and afterwards we had a big Bar-B-Que, it sure was the Cats meow then, we were trading steaks for the stuff! I kept a couple of cans in the fridge for a long time till I finally broke down and drained them. :lol:

The Fosters is good but, WOW that 4x was something!

Oh, anyway, great to see that spray technique used, I had heard about it as well.

Thank You for sharing!

Later Dude

Russ

:D