Model Cars Magazine Forum

After looking at the model posted in another thread of the beautiful and superb Jaguar XKE racing lightweight prototype, I present you my unfortunate attempt and effort at modeling the famous CUT-7 Lowdrag Jaguar XKE racer....oh, boy...this model of mine is really a bad one!!

I started this project about 15 years ago...with great expectations and hopes for a nice replica of the actual car,CUT-7, but because of lack of visual information..wich now is PLENTY in the web and a superb new book about the "specials XKE racers" now for sale...my effort turn out to be quite a poor one..in a LOT of ways and details of the real car, the doors profile is wrong,the back glass area is wrong profile also, the paint finish have a lot to be desire...in fact have suffered a bit after this project have been discarded under a old t-shirt in a shelf in the "may be I will finish this thing one day" level.

Anyway...the effort itself have some good things..in my very personal opinion..I did scrachtbuilt the four "racing Dunlop" wheels and also thw back wider tires,new headers,hood longer louvers,cockpit detail and driver side change from left to right among other small things...but again, not much to save this unfortunate model attempt.

017-vi.jpg

021-vi.jpg

019-vi.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words about this old project,greatly appreciated. I know I sound a little hard and unfrindly toward this project,but since I am a big fan of the real car, these wrong details really get to my nerves, since is not a replica of the car..just a close one...this is something that really put a hold to finish this project.

I hope some day to try and do it all over again, now with all the available reference and photos of the car.....or may be not...the last time I check the reissue 1/8 XKE by Revell was almost $200!!!

Again, thanks for the good review of this project.....mmmmm....may be I should finish it and take it out from that dusty old tshirt it have been under for the past decade.

Hi Fred, i like your Light weight Jag. Do you have pics from the building? I am want to see how you make the back-roof.

Cu Karsten

Karsten, unfortunately I do not have pictures when I did the body mods. To this project a long time ago. But I can tell you how I did it, the entire roof is a heated sheet of thick styrene plastic, formed over a balsa carved roof profile form....this is one of the things I will do a little different if I was to try this project again...will do it by vacumforming for even preasure and more clean form, than by hand ad I did it this first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive reviews, in fact I have follow my fellow forum members addvice and plan to finish this project and put it on display at my workshop

Scott/futuratraction, I will start working in the Jag. After I finish my other project...of wich is possible thanks to you!..I have enjoy that one from the start.

• 1 month later...