Model Cars Magazine Forum

official WIP drift car build off thread

diymirage

hello friends,

welcome to the official drift car build off progres thread

the parameters are simple,

build a car, any car that will be able to compete in a drifting contest

full company sponsored cars, cool, kid in japanese highschool trying to impress a girl build his car on a budget, awesome.

crazy miljonaire who spends his money on adrenline rushes, great

this is your car, build it your way, just let us know up front what the idea is and onces its done it has to drift

this is no longer a imitation build of existing cars, this is YOUR car the way YOU would build it if time and funds allowed

RULES

kits must be new or no more then 10 % finished (we can consider gluebombs if it comes up but for now lets say only new kits)

kitbashing is not only allowed it is encouraged (do what you gotta do)

i set the deadline for october 2nd

that is a friday and it gives us the weekend of the 3rd and 4th to race :lol:

please post your WIP in here and start of with a little mission statement, tell us about the car , why you choose it, you know, draw us into the proces

also include pictures of the kit before you started it (just to show it was not a 98.3 % finished kit) or , if it was a partially started kit, pics of where it was when you picked it back up

i will keep a lits of people entering right here in the top post and i will keep updating it as mroe people join

people entered

1 el destructo - AE86 Levin and FC RX-7

2 LVZ2881 - 07 ford mustang GT500

3 evilone - 59 caddilac hearse

4 mr.mike - unrevealed

5 kuztommodels88 - TWR Jaguar XJ220R

6 zukiholic - 87 isuzu impulse turbo *finished* http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21330

7 lownslow - zoku style

8 diymirage - acura RSX type-S

9 fujimilover - smartuki

10 reminghtonbox - challenger

11 old low&slow - nissan 350Z

12 len geisler - 2004 corvette Z06

13 vizio93 - porsche 935 martini

14 david thibodeau - S15 silvia *finished* http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...c=20466&hl=

15 singaman - mazda RX 7

16 tonioseven - - nissan skyline ecr33

17 moonlite shadow - 240Z

18 stump - 180 SX turbo

19 steve B - 68 firebird and/or 70 boss mustang

20 the red ranger - nissan skyline GT-R 2000

Edited by diymirage

allright guys

here is my entry into the drift car build

a acura RSX type-S

this car will be heavily modded with as its main feature a conversion from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive

the idea is to build an all round race car that could compete in anything from time attack to rally and from drifting to streetraces

the body kit was chosen by the wifey out of the 3 options in the kit

it will have some graphics on it but i am planning on making a modest car, nothing to flashy or as some might call it "rice"

so here are some pictures, first off the body

IMG00171-20090509-1659.jpg

IMG00172-20090509-1700.jpg

the body kit will be completely molded to the body so there will be no seams in the bumpers

here we can see the rest of the parts still in the sealed baggies

IMG00173-20090509-1701.jpg

and here is a pre-op pick of the interior tub and the frame

both will need to be modified to make my 50-50 weight distribution and AWD conversion a reality

IMG00174-20090509-1703.jpg

did some cutting and welding to the car

as you can see i removed the gas tank and rear seatin area from the car

i also filled the hole with some tube and sheetmetal

IMG00178-20090509-1842.jpg

in case you are wonder what the point of all this is

well, the conversion from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive

it also bumps up the displacement of the car from a 2.0 to a 3.6 liters and roughly 400 HP :lol:

IMG00177-20090509-1841.jpg

IMG00175-20090509-1840.jpg

thats right, my AWD conversion is simply the addition of a build civic SI engine to the rear wheels :D

(for those of who you think only RWD cars can drift there will be a killswitch in the cockpit that alows the driver to ONLY run the rear engine :blink: )

Edited by diymirage

well, looks like on of playing with myself here :D

at any rate

here is some more progress on the type-S

i added two airscoops instead of rear windows

one is functioning as a ram air intake

the other one will be used to force cold air through the rear engines radiator

all the bodylines that need filler have been filled but still need to be sanded down

i have also repainted the rear engine and added the CAI

the tubing is made from spruce and the filter is the top end of one of those retarded thingys people use to hook up wiring when they cant do a decent job and just solder and heatshrink tube wiring together

at any rate i have to many of those laying around because i refuse to use that junk :blink:

makes a nice airfliter though

IMG00179-20090510-1940.jpg

IMG00180-20090510-1941.jpg

hey that is a really nice lookin build. i have seen that kit at the LHS, but never really caught my attention. good luck with it and i might have a little something for the drift car build off :blink: ... if i can finish the other projects on my bench :D

thanks

it really was more of a mather of oppertunity

the civic the rear engine came off fell apart (to b honoust, i think one of the kids knocked it over while shooting pool

sooo i bought something with a HUUUUUGE rear windshield and a honda powerplant

and thats how i came up with the type-S

:D

the build off seems to be off to a slow start but im sure it will catch on :blink:

I have decided to bring out a big dog to play with the little cars...

A Shelby GT500....it will be done up as a fully sponsored ride, but I wont reveal the sponsor until later, but you'll get a kick out of it...

I have some resin side scoops and a Roush style rear spoiler from PSF hobbies. I may have to narrow the spoiler to get it to fit how I want it.

Picture002.jpg

I am using these wheels, and I may paint the centers to match the 2nd color of my sponsor's colors.

Picture001.jpg

I found a parts box NASCAR roll cage that I have already started to modify to fit the car. I'll remove the back seat, and fab a block off as well and pull some Sparco style front seats from a different kit.

Picture003.jpg

looks like we're gonna have a nice contender in that shelby

im sure it will have my type-S beat in power but how will it stand up to my excelent balance and HP to LB ratio ?

glad to see you got started, i think that roush kit will look awesome

can i take a guess at your sponsor ?

since this is a car that will be all about getting some good sliding action in im gonna say its KY-J :lol:

looks like we're gonna have a nice contender in that shelby

im sure it will have my type-S beat in power but how will it stand up to my excelent balance and HP to LB ratio ?

glad to see you got started, i think that roush kit will look awesome

can i take a guess at your sponsor ?

since this is a car that will be all about getting some good sliding action in im gonna say its KY-J :lol:

power to weight ratio, thats where carbon fiber comes into play :angry:

and you nowhere close on the sponsor....

I'll give some clues as I get closer

Smartuki Suzuki-powered Smart Car

Hello there. I plan on building this car.

SmartDrifting.jpg

I don't have much details on the car, so the model wont' be acurate by any means and I hope that's okay. I don't think I can find a 1/24 scale Suzuki GSXR engine, so I'll most likely use a Honda Civic engine or something similar in place.

I'll probably build 1/25th scale as that is what I'm most likely to find. Here are pic's of the car before it was painted in white.

Smartuki.gif

Smartuki2.jpg

Smartuki3.jpg

Smartukiengine.jpg

smartukiengine2.jpg

This will be my first attempt at custom fabricating and custom installation's. So, I'm not promissing any success here. I think this will be a very unique build and I look forward to the challange. First step is to find the proper kit, and the proper engine, even if it's not a Suzuki.

By the way, I'll probably add my own features/styling to it to make it even more uniqe!

Edited by FujimiLover

I am in like flynn! B):P

What better car than a Trueno for a drift buildoff? Add in some old school 14" wheels, a DOHC with individual throttle bodies, a bit of a body kit and you got the makings for a bada** contender.

Here is a picture of the RHD AE86

S7300164copy.jpg

Edited by remingtonbox

people entered

1 (el destructo - saving this spot for you)

2 LVZ2881 - 07 ford mustang GT500

3 evilone - 59 caddilac hearse

4 mr.mike - unrevealed

5 kuztommodels88 - nissan S15

6 zukiholic - 87 isuzu impulse turbo

7 lownslow - zoku style

8 diymirage - acura RSX type-S

9 fujimilover - smartuki

hey diymirage, in the other forum i was going to do either a SILVIA S13 "and-or" SPRINTER TRUENO AE86! BUT i am still waiting to get my kits! since now my s2000 is out of the question! thank you for your help!

Brandon

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88

I beleive I found the exact motorcycle I needed for the Smartuki. I searched for 1/24 Suzuki motorcycle on ebay and came across this die-cast model. Question is, does this have a detailed engine that I can use? Unfortunetly, my ebay account is suspended so I can't purchase anything on ebay at the moment.

hayabusa1-24.jpg

Now, I need to find a 1/24 scale Smart Car. I beleive somebody in this forum recently got one and posted it under their "what I got today" thread? I need to know what kit it is and how it's detailed.

If I can get my hands on these two items, I'm in good shape!

Waiting for packages suck's doesn't it? Right now, I dont' know if I have enough money to purchase the two kit's I need, or when I do, if I can even find'em in time for this build off.

I still plan on doing it, just might not make the dead line.

i know how you feel

im waiting on 10 lugbolts so ican bolt my 17 inches denver rims to my passat

(they shorted me on the last shipment)

as for the dead line, i need some input builders

my personal prefference is 2-3 months so we keep on top of things

the last forum build i participated in (the deathracer) had a 9 month build period and it just seemed to fade out

i would like to prevent that from happening here

so

what do you guys think ?

I need at least one month to get my CC bill taken care of so I can get my Ebay account sorted out. Once that's done, I should be able to buy the Suzuki die-cast motorcycle I need for project Smartuki. I say 4-5 months 6 tops, no later. I'm sure lot's of us have other projects in the way, budget, other lives as well. Maybe have it ready for October?

I'm building mine to coincide w/ a monthly theme for my local club (august meeting theme is Mustangs) so mine will be done before the first thursday in August, regardless of what you set as a deadline. :D

BTW, my deathracer is done, but no one seems to care anymore.

I don't see it under glass buddy! I care!

Okay, Here is mine

Testors/Fujimi Isuzu Impulse

P5110006.jpg

No motor or Chassis Detail so I'll have to do something to spiff it up..

keeping Body modes down to a Minimum.

Maybe.

Inside cage from a Parts Nascar.

Moding to fit.

P5110005.jpg

Hey FujimiLover, I got your Smart Car.

I'll send pics

I'm building mine to coincide w/ a monthly theme for my local club (august meeting theme is Mustangs) so mine will be done before the first thursday in August, regardless of what you set as a deadline. ;)

I was supposed to build a drift style mustang for a club deal as well, only mines not due until Sept.

Okay, Here is mine

P5110006.jpg

Maybe.

Moding to fit.

P5110005.jpg

Now that is pretty cool!!! I like it!

Okay, Here is mine

P5110006.jpg

Maybe.

Moding to fit.

P5110005.jpg

Hey FujimiLover, I got your Smart Car.

I'll send pics

I'd rather have the kit! ;)

Thanks Guys.

I think I went as different as I could till my latest kits came in

from Mr Zinn.. :(

Wish I remembered where it came from.

If this goes well, (a.k.a. I finish it soon ;) ) I now have a Isuzu Bellett 1600GTR

I'll be doing..