Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980's Toyota Celica-Supra WIP *engine bay/firewall detailed!*

brodie_83

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this just yet, but I think I'm going to build it box stock. Probably silver with a medium gray interior and some fine details in the interior and engine bay. I just bought this off of eBay this week...the guy refunded me the money I paid because he thought I paid double, then realized he refunded me the money I paid him correctly...he said he'd still send the kit and for me to keep the refund for his stupidity...so I got a super rare kit for FREE! I also bought another Fujimi Celica XX model that actually has an engine (not curbside like most Fujimi kits) that I will be doing a few little mods to, but it hasn't arrived from Taiwan yet, so I'm going to start building this one. Here's a few pictures of it:

2011-08-15_18-39-41_331.jpg

2011-08-15_18-40-02_372.jpg

2011-08-15_18-40-15_123.jpg

2011-08-15_18-41-10_619.jpg

2011-08-15_18-41-33_877.jpg

Really looking forward to building the kit! I have always loved the MKII Celica-Supras and now I have one...well, a 1:25 scale version.

Edited by brodie_83

I've always LOVED this car ever since they were new and wanted one badly when they were intro'd in 1982. But as a 21 year old making no more than 10K/year at the time, the $14,000 price tag was a bit too steep for me. :D I have this very kit you're starting (sans the box), and it was one of MPC's nicer efforts at the time.

Looking forward to see what you do with it! ;)

Thanks for all the replies! I'm very excited to see this kit done. It will take me awhile, since I haven't built a model in some time. I hope I'm not too rusty!

Well I got a few pics of the slow progress. I put the block/trans and heads together, then painted with Tamiya flat aluminum. Then I painted the timing belt cover with Tamiya satin black. I painted the oil filter orange with a semi-gloss black front to resemble a FRAM filter. I'm a little worried to go any further without the pre-wired distributor I ordered from The Toy Box because I don't want any less room drilling holes for the ignition wires into the top of the block than I already have. There are 6 bumps on top of the block...I'm guessing they are the boots for the spark plugs. I'm not sure. Anyways, here are the pics I took. Oh, and I also stripped the chrome off of the wheels, valve covers, rear end cover and other parts.

2011-08-20_14-46-56_528.jpg

2011-08-20_14-46-45_483.jpg

2011-08-20_17-20-11_434.jpg

2011-08-20_17-26-07_91.jpg

I woke up this morning, went downstairs and painted the spark plug boots, as well as started working on the valve covers. Since I took them off the tree to de-chrome them, I couldn't paint them with holding them in my fingers, so I glued them to the engine and painted them installed. I think they turned out pretty good. The silver on the lettering and ribs came out alright...I was hoping the raised parts would come out a little better, but I'm still happy with it. Now I may have to move on to another spot on the car until my parts arrive from Australia. Maybe the interior?

2011-08-21_09-33-51_153.jpg

2011-08-21_09-34-03_871.jpg

2011-08-21_09-34-15_96.jpg

2011-08-21_09-34-36_423.jpg

Alright, I'm a little angry...I washed off a few parts that I de-chromed and accidentally dropped the upper intake manifold into the drain! SOB! I'm not sure what I'm going to do now...probably have to scratch-build one unless someone here has one they don't plan on using...in that case, I'll take it off your hands! :lol: I glued the seats together and need to get some filler to make them seamless, then paint. All I can do now is move on to something different.

Nice start on this one. As far as the intake goes...you could do as above...or, you could use the situation a as an excuse to go wild with the motor. You could go with a custom tubular manifold, individual throttle bodies, or the tried and proven triple sidedraft carbie setup. Googling Toyota 5M-GE engine could give you some inspiration :D

Keep up the great work!

Jimmy

Could always do a 7M-GTE style intake/exhaust set-up, considering they are relatively close in demeanor/size/style. A friend had a MKII with the later 7M-GTE dropped into it, running a CT-60 turbo and RC components 950cc injectors with a MKIV throttle body. It ran well for a big, heavy tank. I like the MKIIs and the MA70 bodies the best, followed by the MKIV.............I always wanted to do the MA-70/2JZ-GTE combo.

Keep at the build, it is nice to see some J-Tin getting love.

I do have a 2JZ from a Tamiya Supra, but I think I'll save that for another kit. Thankfully a guy on here said he has the part I lost and I can have it due to an LS swap in his, so as soon as this part shows up, it's on! Till then, it's on hold.

Sorry Joe..."JOE sent me the part I need". Thanks buddy! I absolutely love those wheels you have on yours...I was thinking about those same ones, but I'm gonna build this completely stock. When I get my Fujimi kit, I'll probably do the 2JZ swap and a few other things (seats, wheels, suspension, etc.).

Joe, thanks a ton! I got the part in the mail today, as well as another Celica kit that's pretty rare. It's from Fujimi and it's a Celica 2.8GT "High Mechanism" kit. The cool thing about this kit is it's got an engine/trans and not a curbside! The actual car's detail is very lacking, but I have to say, the engine is very well detailed...much more so than the MPC kit I'm currently building. Here's a few pics of that kit (which will be built sometime later after the MPC kit is built):

Box art

2011-08-26_13-40-53_91.jpg

Metal "exhaust tip"...nice.

2011-08-26_13-55-09_885.jpg

Fujimi body vs. MPC body

2011-08-26_13-55-34_202.jpg

Fujimi wheels and nicely detailed Pirelli tires

2011-08-26_13-56-11_371.jpg

Open lug holes! So cool!

2011-08-26_13-56-56_858.jpg

And the part that I lost and that Joe sent me...thanks again dude!

2011-08-26_14-02-31_662.jpg

Now I can get back to work on the kit. I'm going to run to Advance Auto Parts and get a can of Duplicolor black for the chassis/suspension and maybe get the engine mounted in today. Then I have to decide what colors I want to do my interior in. I bought some light gray and charcoal flocking from the local hobby store. I really like the charcoal color, so I may go with that. Anyways, hope to have some more progress pics up later today!