Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

Thanks Steve and Scott! :)

I haven't forgotten about the Mustang------it's been awhile since any updates. Crazy busy at work with 10+ hour days and with my Challenger now, it'll be that much easier to pay off the loan and get rid of the debt that much sooner! We were told there's no end in sight as far as the work load........fine enough with me as it's more money in my pocket!

I did do some work on the front end regarding the grille recently..........some changes had to be made to make it more in line with the 1:1. No pics as of yet, but maybe over the weekend I can give a bit of an update. In fact, the only thing left to do is get it painted, let it thoroughly dry, and move on to final assembly. Finally!

Thanks again for the nice words fellas!

Noooo.......! Too flimsy for that! I could have drilled them, but then left with a wheel that would not have stood up to being placed in the dash. :o

A PE one would have been nice, but there isn't one in the set that I have.

I didn't have a problem with drilling them out on mine. Didn't make a bit of difference in it's strength. I even made the spokes thinner so they would be a little closer to scale.

010-19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A good pic of a 1:1 67 gt. Notice the chrome bottom rockers, and the chrome trim is missing. It didn't come on every GT fastback!.
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/rfrontgt.jpg
They were only on special trim levels, so not all GT fastbacks had the chrome trim on the wheel wells, the trunk surround, and the hood surround and the rocker panels. You could get this trim level but it was an extra 800 bucks or more. So in reality AMT when they made this kit were actually using a less expensive model to make their models from it. Since it was manufactured in 1994 it is surprising that even as much detail that did come in the kit was there. Afterall, 27 years had passed since the car was new in 67' so there was allot that wasn't correct on the kit car!
I just finished exactly the same kit and I had numerous problems with fit. I won't post pics of it here because I was very unhappy with the way it all came together. Little things that just irritate is all!

Edited by cobramike

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to show this project isn't dead, here are a few "beauty/teaser" shots. Still have a ways to go, but needless to say, I'm at the beginning of the end for this one! I did wave the white flag on making the front windshield using my usual acetate. Reason is after about five tries with the firewall already in place, the body has to be REAAALLLY spread apart to get everything to fit in. After the fifth time the windshield popped out of place due to the overflexing of the body, I gave in and used the kit windshield. :angry:

While it's OK.......I still don't like the distortion that it gives, and to me that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, here's what I got so far........not the best pics as I had to use my iPhone-----my digicam needs batteries and I don't feel like going out as it's REALLY hot here in Central PA today! :o

05459023945479-vi.jpg

04459023944291-vi.jpg

03459023943087-vi.jpg

59459023939852-vi.jpg

58459024658817-vi.jpg

Not sure when the next update will be-------just to whet your appetite that this has NOT been forgotten! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive
Grammatical errors

Wow ...Mr.

Glad to see this back up and running

Looking great

Cheers,...... (carry on,....)

Edit"  Is this Mr. Ob?.....

You ..."kit windshield was ".....GOOD ........ENOUGH...

I QUIT

Yes, 'tis I!:D

I'll try to beef up the windshield frame (particularly the header) next go round of this kit which would be the '67 Shelby I've had forever. Not putting the firewall in ahead of time (like the instructions say) will be in order too......learned something from that one!

Here are a couple more pics.........a side shot-----tried to get rid of the "taildragging" look that plagues this kit. Might try to lower the front end a scooch more. Also I finally got the PE grille in, painted it flat black, and got the fog lights in. The grille fought me too as it's not really meant for this kit, but I was determined to get this one in as the kit molded in one is not correct.

15459033915083-vi.jpg

12459033912809-vi.jpg

Thanks for lookin' all!

Mike, I wish I would have taken process pics of reshaping the nose, but I basically cut away the kit grille, and filed the inside of the cavity to give it a more forward slant. Some plastic was added on the back side of the opening to give the grille shell the proper width.

The kit's molded in grille is too upright as you can see in this pic here.................

photo2-vi.jpg

Something else about the way they molded the grille and the location holes for the foglights.............to me it appears they sit too low, and not more in the middle per the 1:1. The PE grille I used I believe was intended more for Revell's '68, but with a little work it can be used for this '67.

As far as the Ferrari.......that's a '63 330 LMB that I got recently. It'll need some cleanup, and I plan to use bits and pieces from an extra Italeri 250 GTO kit that I have. Might get fancy and see if I can get Norm's V-12 engine------I have one now, but that's for yet another Ferrari subject. ;)

With the '59 Chevy I want to get done after I'm through with the Mustang, it'll be a bit before I get to this one. I was cleaning up the body a bit for a break from the 'Stang, and I broke a piece of the vent post. :o Easy fix for me, and I'll tend to that later.

Thanks for asking!

Amazing work, Bill! Looks terrific. I like the restrained, stock appearance of the engine compartment and the tidy work on the wires and hoses.

FWIW, that profile view showing the stance looks like a typical Mustang to me! It always seemed like they came from the factory with their noses high or their tails low, didn't they? Though a drop in the front for a slight forward rake would look a lot better.

• 1 month later...

My slow but sure progress of the Mustang marches on. Work was halted for a bit as it was quite hot here in Central PA, and the front bedroom I use as my model work room was just too dang hot to work in! :o

I don't have the luxury of central air, and I'm not crazy about a window unit simply because of all of the other power stuff I have in the room. Not to mention, keeping the room shut at all times is an absolute MUST as I have a new kitten and he's VERY CURIOUS!!

Just the same, I'm quite bugged about the too small headlights that are in the kit. While not bad, to me it somehow takes away the "character" of that familiar Mustang front end. Using some advice from a good friend and excellent model builder Dale Beaver (aka 935K3), he suggested putting some headlight rings around the lights to make them appear larger.

Well, I just happen to have some 1/4" aluminum tubing lying around, and using K&S's tubing cutter, I made some paper thin rings which just happen to fit around the kit's headlights.

Here are some pics to show the difference............................

Before the headlight rings........

44:460020704967

And after............

07:461974987625

And here they are in my hand showing how paper thin they are.............;)

09:461974989385

OK.......now to use some white glue to keep 'em in, and then I can move on to finish this thing up............that is if the weather doesn't turn hot again!

Thanks for lookin'!