Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Buick Wildcat II ( no guts, no glory )

trogdor

I recently started to build the model I've always wanted. Because there is no commercial offering, I'm stuck with making my own. I'm using the back half of the AMT 55 corvette and making the front myself. I sent a message to Peter Lombardo and he agreed to vacuum form it once I have the form done.

Just a short list of changes to the corvette to make this work

rear license plate recess has to be lowered

remove corvette bodyside mouldings

add thin styrene sheet to rear deck

re-work rear fins for tail light details

fill corvette gas tank door

fill cowl vent

remove wipers

re-scribe door panels and rear deck panel lines

New scratch work to do

most all of the interior needs to be scratch built

intake manifold need to be scratch built

All panels from the firewall forward need to be made

The real car

1954_Buick_WildcatII1.jpg

I will say this, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be to get to this point. I had only one dimension to work with, that was the wheel base of 100 inches. All my drawings and measurements

are based of that, and the width of the corvette body. I've got my work cut out for me. As a former Seabee, I'm reminded of this phrase

the difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a bit longer. ...

DSC04961.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

DSC04963.jpg

I've never done anything like this, but hey that never stopped me from doing anything else in life.

Here is more progress on the mold for the front. I had to shoot some primer on it because the lines from the woodgrain were throwing me off a bit

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04986.jpg

DSC04987.jpg

I'm just about ready to send the mold to peter. Let me know what you think. I've been staring at this thing until I'm cross eyed. so if something looks off, let me know.

The real car again. (The raised portion down the middle of the hood will be added later with sheet styrene)

1954_Buick_WildcatII1.jpg

DSC05092.jpg

Edited by trogdor

Was a real car ever made or just a prototype?I have fallen In love with this and this is the first time I have seen it,Lol.Whats under the hood?A Wildcat V-8?

Austin, this was a one off concept car built by Buick. The engine was a 322 cubic-inch 220 bhp Buick V8 with four side-draft carburetors and dual exhausts. It was design by Harley Earl who was perhaps the most influential designer GM ever had. He also designed the Buick Y Job. The following is copied from the GM heritage center website :

The 1954 Buick Wildcat II concept, designed by Harley Earl’s design team, made its public debut at the 1954 General Motors Motorama in New York City. Built of fiberglass and mounted on a 100-inch wheelbase, the 1954 Wildcat featured radical new front fender styling that exposed the underside of the fender and the chrome plated front-end suspension. The fenders were lined with large chrome panels containing air scoop louvers. Buick Skylark wire wheels were used.

The car was only 170-inches long and 35-inches high at the cowl. Headlamps were mounted on the cowl with parking and directional signal lights on the front end underneath the fender shroud. Bumpers were shaped with two big torpedo-like guards; know in those days as “Dagmar” bumper guards, a name taken after a sexy celebrity with a good size bosom.

Wildcat II was powered with a standard 322 C.I.D. V8 engine boosted to 220 horsepower through the use of four carburetors.

Originally the car was painted a bright blue with a white leather interior but later was repainted dark tan with a two-tone tan leather interior. The Wildcat II now resides at the Alfred P. Sloan Museum in Flint, Michigan where it was restored to its original bright blue finish.

The 1954 Wildcat II was the second of three concept cars introduced in consecutive years to wear the Wildcat badge.

I have been wanting to do this one too along with a few others based on the early Corvette. I have the Corvette ordered so I guess I will go with one of the other variations....Very nice start and looking forward to the finished product.

KennB