Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser & AWB Community Build (Started.)

W-409

The Vette looks great! I've built that same kit too. Oh well it was many years ago, and maybe that's why I wasn't happy about it, especially the parts fit was bad.

You're doing much better job than I did. I'm looking forward for more. B)

... Jim, are you officially in? If you are, I add your name on the list.

Since there's no deadline, might as well put me down for a fire-breathing Corvair gasser. Now I need to decide if I want to build it as I originally planned with a blown Corvair flat-6 out back (with all of the chassis reworking that would entail), or just take the easy way out and use an existing chassis from another kit under it and stuff the (front) trunk full of an injected 409!

Sounds Good, Jim. You are on the list.

I have to say that both of the engine combinations are interesting, but I guess that W-409 likes Injected 409 Better. :lol: But whatever engine you choose, project is very interesting.

Yeah, I kinda thought you'd say that. I might just do one of each!

As an aside, here's one I think you'll like: I built a Corvair-bodied, early-style Monster Truck back in 1990, based on an old AMT Blazer Monster kit. I had a blown 409 powering it. It was named "Vair Force One". That was the first model I ever entered in a contest, at the 1991 Corvair Society of America National Convention, where I took 2nd place in the "Engineering" division. Unfortunately, our cat knocked it off it's shelf a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to restoring it yet. I might just revisit the whole concept based on a modern Monster Truck kit.

Hey Guy's, I sat down last night and decide'd to do that front end on the VETTE... I stretch'ed the frame(still have to cut it to length),blocked it up,

and took 3/8 inch off the axle and tube'd it w/aluminum to length. This raise'd it to were I like it. I for got I had the interior done. So here's an

update of sort's.. Also a better pic of the engine.

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

That's it for now. I'll post more in a few day's. I'll be working on this one for a while now...

Thanx, Michaelj...

• 4 weeks later...

Chuck-you're on the list. I'm looking forward of seeing some progress. B)

And Michael, the Vette looks really good so far! Like the engine details alot.

My Simca just got the glass parts. I will be working with it hopefully tonight, and I'm planning to get the engine mounts done.

This is my inspriation for the Anglia- Loran Sapp's 'Little Toad', which won its class at the 1964 Winternationals. Yes, it's Hudson powered! Yes, if I have anything to say about it, my model will be Hudson powered, too!

toad-vi.jpg

The engine I'll be using is pretty much done already- it was based on Sapp's setup. It is the one on the left.

10_404102659645397_875533492_n-vi.jpg

Wow, Hudson Powered Anglia! :blink: Never saw one before, but it sure is very interesting powerplant. This will be something different for sure! B)

By the early '60's Hudson Twin H engines had become pretty well known as budget drag engines. The July 1965 issue of Hot Rod had a pretty comprehensive article on drag racers using the Hudson six- http://home.comcast.net/~sarahdyoung/ReturnOfHudsonArticle.html

Obviously a lot of guys were running Hemis and Small Block Chevs by that time, but there always had to be that small group of guys who didn't want the same powerplant everybody else was running. B)

Very interesting info, Chuck! Thanks for the link.

It's great that everyone don't have same engines (same thing nowadays). When I've built these Nostalgic Race Cars, I've always used SBC or Hemi, just because I had no idea which other engines I should use. Well, Oldsmobile Rocket and Buick Nailhead of course, but they are hard to find in 1/25 scale.

Now I need to get one more Hudson kit and build one Drag Car with that engine.

but there always had to be that small group of guys who didn't want the same powerplant everybody else was running. B)

Here's one good example, Ford Altered from Finland, runs with Mercury Y-Block with TwinTurbos. Best ET so far is 8,6 or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Runs0002.JPG

And Vic: You're on the list. Sounds very good, can't wait to see the progress. ;)

Derrick: Absolutely, post some pictures of your builds. You build great stuff, and more inspiration we get-faster we build I guess. (Or at least I do. :lol: )

Gray, feel free to join in and start the T-Bird! I will add you to the list. :D

And the Eye Candy continues soon!

Matti, sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the Merc'.

Derrick: Your builds are great, when you figure it out, post a link to the pics, I want to see them! B)

Updating the Simca build. I installed the seats and built new steering linkage. It's mostly built from Miss Deal kit parts, but they are radically modified, since the steering is now on left side, not in center as it was originally in that Studebaker kit. Also I started building the fuel system plumbings for the engine, not too fancy stuff, but done anyway. The driveshaft is built from two Miss Deal kit driveshafts, not the best in the world, but Okay for me.

P9140004.jpg

P9140005.jpg

P9140015.jpg

P9140012.jpg

Another update.

I modified the seat belts a bit, they are lot more realistic now, when they're connected to roll cage, not to the seat. Also scratchbuilt the parachute handle, and installed the cable. Also added that transmission crossmember, and radiator too. Water hoses are installed too.

P9150053.jpg

Simple Pedals are scratchbuilt too.

P9150055.jpg

P9150057.jpg

P9150058.jpg

P9150059.jpg