Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick and easy "pro" photo studio for your models...

Bigjeff

It's a great idea. The only thing I'd suggest is, if you have a choice, don't get a white one. Unless you want to get clever about "spot" exposure metering on your camera, all that white will encourage the camera to underexpose the model, which is mostly darker. You can see the effect on Jeff's photo above -- the side facing the camera is pretty dark, and if it weren't for the white "tyres" all the detail in the suspension would be lost in shadow. The ideal background is a 50% neutral grey. It won't affect the colour balance at all (the camera will not "believe" that a large area could be solid blue or cyan, so it'll try to make it more neutral, altering the colour of your model in the process), and it will make sure the "mid-point" of the exposure is half way between the highlights and shadows on your model...

Of course, if you're happy manually adjusting the exposure and colour balance in your pictures, then there's no issue.

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Good point!

I just want to point out, you're supposed to have min a light on each side and front...I only had the on on the left side on that pic. Also, using some kind of shade in front of the light will minimise glare (I use bottom of milk gallon jugs)...all in all it's far from perfect but way better than a messy bench :D