Model Cars Magazine Forum

Woodn't - NNL Here I Come!

FASTBACK340

DSC00007-vi.jpg

Good progress John. Can't wait to see it Saturday. Here's what I was working on with the same kit. I shortened the body down, but left the roof length as a visor. It will go on a chassis from the old Monogram Green Hornet kit. I had a photo of that mocked up, but Fotki must be holding it hostage since it's not in the folder.

talk about a sows ear to a silk purse. very nice work john. on a side note I wish now I would have held on to my 68 cuda notch. 383 formula s car. it was a drag car all its life. was showing 1963 miles when I got it.

Wow..... don't think about it. I had a '68 383-S 4 spd. Fastback when I was a kid. Couldn't get $1,200 for it in 1978 so I traded it for a '70 Sedan DeVille. The factory exhaust manifolds for the A body B engine are worth that much alone today....,.

Well, I must admit my phobia is paint. I clench up tight enough to crush a walnut in my navel at the thought of painting a project. All the while, it's just a peeve of mine from doing crappy work in the past. Today I decided to just do it....and I did.

WoodyPaint002-vi.jpg

Paint is Titanium metalizer with sealer. It's a nice dark, subtle tone.

WoodyPaint004-vi.jpg

Chassis & grill shell are body color too.

WoodyPaint009-vi.jpg

The stainless steel really pops nicely in person. Pictures don't do it justice B)

I know it's not perfect, but the whole idea was to build something quick. Then it became NNL East bound. I'm really trying to get it together... More to follow.

Thanks Bill. I'm guessing people don't agree with the dark metal color choice, but it looks really nice. I got the revised intake done last night. Tonight I'm spending most of the night finishing ip paint & detailing the engine. Thanks for checking in!

Hopefully tomorrow night..... B)

Keep it up and I'll build another one!

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it means a lot. Especially considering the vacation I had from building! As for the interior it's going to be exactly the same as the chassis: unseen. This is a shelf build with no interior of chassis detailing, except for what's visible.

Hey, my first build was a pre-painted kit. This ones a shelf build. Maybe the third one I won't tint the windows black ;)

Lunch break is over. Watch for an update later tonight and thanks again for the feedback. I'm having more fun than what should be legal, or at least for free....:)

First of all, allow me to publicly thank my Wife, Amy, for tolerating all my hobbies with open minded support and understanding. Even as I'm getting cranky....

To-Do list is getting shorter, almost everything left is assembly. I took a break for a glass of milk & a muffin and decided to post 2 update pictures.

Here's a quick teaser shot of the engine with the headers next to it. Ignition is done, assembling the carbs & fuel lines next.

WoodyEng_Assm005-vi.jpg

And here's a shot showing the stainless axle against the titanium frame. No bling here....

WoodyEng_Assm006-vi.jpg

Off to the kitchen for a snack while my little boy Buddy watches me.

47492033024-vi.png

This is Buddy..... ;)

Might be a late nite gang. I might substitute coffee for the milk....

keep at it. I just did one of these builds at easter. show friday morning and I sat at the bench at 5 thurdsday night and wrapped up at 10 friday morning. then drove 100 miles to the show. why do we punish ourselves? I would be awful cranky if work required me to do that. but I will do anything for this hobby LOL

Well, I must admit my phobia is paint. I clench up tight enough to crush a walnut in my navel at the thought of painting a project. All the while, it's just a peeve of mine from doing crappy work in the past. Today I decided to just do it....and I did.

Same here. And for the same reasons. Paintjob looks great though (as mine always do after much nail-biting and not much building ....). Whole thing is coming together. Can't wait to see the finished product. Getting there!