Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK this is kool: 3D printed 1/24 VW Notchback Kustom

anyone else seen this or better yet, have one in hand?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2169755/1-24-volkswagen-notchback-custom.html?materialId=6

625x465_2169755_3450678_1404775886.jpg

appears to be available in three different materials: the base stuff, "white strong and flexible", or a medium grade "frosted detail" or the high grade "frosted ultra detail", at increasing prices starting at 46$.

pretty neat looking although I could do without the "custom" stuff but it does look kool for what it is. wonder if it fits right over Tamiya bug or ghia though that poses the problem of a type 3 engine needed so probably wont work out...maybe they will do a mill next.

I am getting an order with them together when I ran across this, but I don't think I will risk my money on this without seeing it in person first. too much other stuff I need right now.

jb

The start of the future of a new type of model kit? I'll sure as the technology becomes more available, prices will come down. Will this open up modeling to more variety? Quicker releases of new issues? More accurate models? Maybe custom ordering the model you want? Who knows? But it starts here with things like this kit now. It will be interesting in seeing were it goes from here.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

There's a thread out there someplace on this very piece. It seems that it was/is made in nylon, which can be a bear to paint. In addition, the builder notes that the surfaces are quite porous, what appears to be a frosted finish is apparently a myriad of tiny holes.

Other than that, it does look interesting indeed.

Art

That's TDR Innovations, Tim Floyd's company. Gary Kulchock has done some work with them. They have been a vendor at NNL East

Yes, they are pioneering the future! And right now a model body goes for $46. and it's nowhere near kit perfect.

So much for the guys who think they'll be buying a 3D printer next year and printing models out for free.

I've seen this item in person, it's a very nice. Don brought one of the first pieces to our club meeting, the parts are thin, very well

detailed and the best you could start with for a conversion.

Sure beats hours and hours of scratch building.

Edited by oldnslow

A frame and correct engine or the upper sheet metal to add to some of the existing VW engines currently available would be nice. I hope that someone will design us a proper VW engine using 3D printing, Please... (He begs with a whiny voice.)

I can see where a resin caster might use this technology to make a master, which if the material is difficult to paint May be a good fix while technology and materials refine to a point where it is as easy to finish as styrene or resin.

A frame and correct engine or the upper sheet metal to add to some of the existing VW engines currently available would be nice. I hope that someone will design us a proper VW engine using 3D printing, Please... (He begs with a whiny voice.)

You mean like this?.................http://public.fotki.com/ajwheels/116-vw-pieces/

The problem here is that these pieces won't come through very well at 1/24 scale...........it's still kind of pushing it to do parts at 1/24 scale, but it is getting better every day, or at least every few months.............

like I said...this comes in three materials. if there is a painting "problem" it is probably with the cheapest which is described as a sort of nylon. I know from experience that the next up the line has no such problems, but problems remain with smoothing surfaces without destroying detail. now supposedly the third level cures most of that problem, but I have never seen anything done in that material so I do not know first hand, hence my reticence at shelling out some big bucks (approaching 100 if I remember correctly) for something that will need a lot of work. not to say it needs a lot or work or anything. other restrictions may apply. see your zone office for more details. offer not good with other offers nor on third sundays of the month. does anyone read these posts?

jb

... does anyone read these posts?

jb

Actually reading posts is hard, and then comprehending what's been read is an entirely different issue... <_<

How many times have you seen an "under glass" or "workbench" thread where the first post lists the mods, parts, and colors, and the 5th, 6th and 7th responses are "what parts did you use, what color is it, and what mods did you make to do that?"

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

jim do you think it would be possible for you to post updates and photos on this site (on the workbench) for those of us who do not subscribe to faceboink?

also which level material is the body you are working with? any problems so far that should be brought to attention of anyone considering buying one?

thanks

jb