Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two chevys I have been messing with. Red one will be lifted on 44inch So-Real super swampers and built as a Duramax diesel. The other silverado will be slammed, static, not bagged. I'm thinking it will get painted Tester's one coat graphite dust, also might make it a standard cab. I shaved the side trim off both of them.

IMG_6462.jpg

what kind of lift are u planing for the red one? heres a cool site for lifting 1/1 scale ones but works for models to is www. trucks gone wild .com theres tons of builts on that site,if u can find a big foot or usa1 monster truck use the axles and shocks from one of them. if i had a pic of my 99 ck on 44s you could get just how big them truck are. :wub:

Todd, Its funny that you mentioned the TGW fourm, it partially inspired the build! As far as the suspension, I want to do a solid axle swap, so I'm thinking 4-links front and rear. I want to try and scratch build either dana 60s or rockwell axles for it.

Al, That's the Plan!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everbody! I have not had much time at the bench lately, once the semester ended I went back to work full time. I did manage to get some work done on the chevys though:

I'm working on getting the body smooth, still contemplating a standard cab conversion.....

IMG_6741_zps51c605e2.jpg

Kinda nice that this kit all ready comes with a shaved tailgate, but the way the rear fender extensions meet is very abrupt so I added some plastic to make the transition smoother:

IMG_6733_zps36bfac87.jpg

Onto Big Red, I have the front suspension mocked up, got the wheels and stack painted, and added bedcoat. Thanks to some of the members from MAMA, this is the first body I have ever tried to polish, it isn't done, but man will it be shiny!

IMG_6734_zpsaf841647.jpg

Bedcoat is actually the real stuff you can buy in a spray can from the parts store; NOTE: Rustolem truck bedcoat from Home Depot is the best I have used. This truck has Duplicolor bed armor and it did not work as well.

IMG_6736_zps9c693a23.jpg

I have a set of die cast trucks sitting the same way on the shelf but I have yet to see anyone build the two trucks and position them like that. The lifted ones cool with the stack but I'm all about going down. I would personally keep the ext cab and body drop that thing on the ground with those nice rims. Some nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it up, keep it going.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, some progress!

I got the firewall and bumper detail painted, I decided to go body color. The springs are actually from work, they are out of a 1:1 transmission, I think they might work great for this truck.

IMG_7407_zps4033da33.jpg

Speaking of suspension, I was originally thinking four-links, but that limited my space to park another truck under the Duramax. The solution was to use the factory leaf springs with the ends trimmed and custom drop brackets fabricated:

IMG_7392_zpsc44bbdd7.jpg

IMG_7394_zpsa6d7154d.jpg

Mock up

IMG_7405_zpsbfdc761e.jpg

Now the stock rear was way too wimpy so I decided to scratch build what resembles a Dana 60

IMG_7384_zps75a8037b.jpg

IMG_7387_zps774a74c2.jpg

I thought it came out pretty cool, I still have to finish trimming it, add a breather and build the front diff. I would like to find some photo etch bolt heads for the cover.

IMG_7389_zps6a505fae.jpg

I still need to build a hitch and a drop receiver. I think I going to tint all the tail lights too.

IMG_7404_zps821ba16c.jpg

Thanks, got a little more done on the red one

Camo headliner:

IMG_7399_zpsa01bbd7a.jpg

Fabricated a front bumper, it will get diamond plate on top, paper clip tow hooks, and some kind of brush guards for the headlights

IMG_7403_zpse5c4f973.jpg

Thinking about adding lift blocks to make the tire clearance a little more realistic for something that could be driven off-road.

IMG_7406_zps4fbed8ca.jpg

I got the windows tinted and I turned the one piece rear window into a 3 piece with a center sliding window. I finally finished polishing the body too.

IMG_7396_zpse6457f44.jpg

IMG_7395_zps731e1274.jpg

• 8 months later...

Wow, I've been gone waaaaaaay to long! College an 1:1 Hot Rods have kept me busy, but I managed to make it back to the bench and I'm gonna try to get the Red Silverado wrapped up for the December MAMA meeting! Lonnnng over-do progress shots:

IMG_7753_zps40be8566.jpg

The front end needed work, I fabricated some drop brackets from sheet plastic

IMG_7756_zpsd038cafa.jpg

All glued in, I used the stock rear leafs-prings

IMG_7757_zpsa5c3db32.jpg

Edited by Pullin Gears