Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Hugger Orange ZL-1 COPO Camaro

Jason Rothgeb

This is my second completion of the year. A couple of years ago I built a Hugger orange COPO for my brother and liked it so much that I decided I had to build one for myself as well. It is not exactly like the last one I built in that one depicted an iron block 427 and this one depicts the ultra rare 1 of 69 ZL-1 aluminum block option. Also, for this one I added the Bowtie emblems on the grill and tail light panels and painted the air cleaner the proper semi-gloss black when a car was equipped with the ZL2 "Super scoop" hood as all COPOs were. This the Revell Yenko kit with the addition of a MCG photo-etch set, Replicas and Minatures of Maryland COPO wheels and American Satco redline tires. There are also some engine compartment decals kit bashed from the Revell RS/SS convertible kit and its superior decal sheet.

The last picture illustrates why it took me so long to finish this one. When it was almost finished, I applied the driver's side door handle too high with Super Glue. This left a nasty mark that I made even worse by applying clear coat with a dirty brush. In the end, I ended up carefully sanding down the door, masking it off as the picture shows, and then refinishing it. For masking, I used Tamiya masking tape for the first time and was very pleased with it. It is very low tack, and I was even able to take it off without disturbing the already applied photo-etch

COPO2032-vi.jpghttp://images19.fotki.com/v32/photos/1/116816/1169503/COPO2033-vi.jpg

>

>

COPO2004-vi.jpg

Great job and good save! In the future you may want to drill and brass pin your door handles and mirrors before painting then you can place them in the holes with a little expoxy. I super glue the pin into the handle first and after drying cut to length. Plus if you knock them off you just glue it back in the hole. Works every time!