Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Mustang

This looks like a well-executed, fairly accurate 67 Mustang. I've been throwing around the idea of buying one, but those rear quarters just have too much rearward slope in my eyes. I have no doubt, though, that it is a quality product from what i've seen and heard about MCR.

Ryan, Jeff's Mustang's measurements were taken FROM AN ACTUAL 67 MUSTANG! We talked about this at length one time, an if they DON'T look right well them there's something WRONG with the one YOU'RE looking at. Simple as that. His dimensions are SPOT ON.smile.gif

This looks like a well-executed, fairly accurate 67 Mustang. I've been throwing around the idea of buying one, but those rear quarters just have too much rearward slope in my eyes. I have no doubt, though, that it is a quality product from what i've seen and heard about MCR.

I also think their quality is second-to-none, the kits I have from them are excellent, and I see exactly what you are talking about in the rear quarters of the resin vs. the 1:1.

stang9676.jpg

1967-Ford-Mustang-Blue-sa-Coupe-nf.jpg

My eyes are not lying to me when I compare the two above photos. That's not a slam against anyone, that's just a simple observation. Most models have visible flaws. It is up to each buyer to determine how badly they want a model vs. any potential flaws that may spoil the model experience.

I agree the fenders slope up a bit too much. Would I get it Heck yea!! Like Mr. Downie said Most Models have flaws We decide if we can deal with it or fix it. Without the model in my hand I can't say for sure but think it could be fixed. If not I'd just live with that its a Coupe we don't get many of those

Keep your eyes on this forum...........I'm not promising anything, but an upcoming project of mine is to build an accurate 1968 Mustang coupe. Actually, what I want to do is a California Special.

One needs to use the upper half of the '66 coupe (along with the correct rear quarters) along with the lower half of the '67-'68 Mustang fastback.

That is a nice looking resin, but I also notice the too sloped rear quarters. They were different between coupe and fastback. B)

I'm sure it's a nice piece and I don't doubt it's quality or it's maker, but to a perfectionist like me i'd be happier with the end result of making my own, me thinks. I'd really like to see the rear of the MCR resin 67 Mustang to see the modification to the window and the trunk/taillight area.

Bill, if you beat me to it, are you going to have yours cast?

If you have a chance, put a AMT 67 Fastback next to the Revell 68 Fastback. You'll notice the AMT's heavily sloped rear quarters and it's lack of the subtle sexy curve of the beltline from the "sweethear dip" to the headlights. It's too straight and... upward? Also, the little "hip" after the sweetheart dip is too high. The Revell Fastback is much more accurate as a starting point for a(my) coupe, in my opinion. Keep in mind Bill, that even though you need the 66 roof, the area around the rear window will need to be modified. While the 66's window trim lays flat and has a little hic-up in the metal surrounding it, the 67-68 window trim curves inward with the window being slightly recessed. The little hic-up isn't there either. Then there's the trunk lid... quite a project. Like I think i've told you before Bill, if you need specifics of ANYTHING let me know. My 68 is outside the door to my left. B)

But thanks to MCR (and Missing Link's 68 GT/CS), a lot of builders won't have to go through the trouble of doing it, which is a good thing..... except for the people like me. :lol:

Edited by Ryan Quantz

Ryan, thanks for the heads up about the AMT vs. Revell differences. I don't have the Revell '68, but I was planning to get one for the conversion down the road.

Yup, I knew that the roofline has to be adjusted on the '68 conversion as well as the rear window area. I've got a number of pics of a '68 coupe, but I'll certainly keep you in mind if I run into a snag.

Will I have it cast? I dunno, as I want to keep the project going once I get started. Getting the body all ready and then waiting for it to be cast can cause me to lose interest. ;)

BTW, my comments are in no way a reflection of the quality of the kit--------I'm just one of those "proportion snobs" and this is not the only time I've seen this area missed by a conversion from fastback to coupe.

BTW, my comments are in no way a reflection of the quality of the kit--------I'm just one of those "proportion snobs" and this is not the only time I've seen this area missed by a conversion from fastback to coupe.

I second that. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of MCR.

Bill, the only reason I was asking about the casting is because if you have yours cast, i'll save myself the work and take advantage of yours. ;) I don't blame you. Heck, I lose interest in some projects just finding reference photos. B)

Ryan, thanks for the heads up about the AMT vs. Revell differences. I don't have the Revell '68, but I was planning to get one for the conversion down the road.

Yup, I knew that the roofline has to be adjusted on the '68 conversion as well as the rear window area. I've got a number of pics of a '68 coupe, but I'll certainly keep you in mind if I run into a snag.

Will I have it cast? I dunno, as I want to keep the project going once I get started. Getting the body all ready and then waiting for it to be cast can cause me to lose interest. :lol:

Hey Bill,

Show them a picture of the Green Hornet.

awright..time for me to chime in..when i did the master for the stang about 10 yrs ago, the tops of the 1/4s were nice and straight. but after being ran through the molding process 6 times, after each time needing repair, the tops have been kinda sanded a bit too much. after each repair i didnt recheck the lines. i know i shoulda, but i didnt.thats what i get for rushing things. its now being remastered for its seventh trip through the rtv and all will right once again. stay tuned, stuff is happening..

awright..time for me to chime in..when i did the master for the stang about 10 yrs ago, the tops of the 1/4s were nice and straight. but after being ran through the molding process 6 times, after each time needing repair, the tops have been kinda sanded a bit too much. after each repair i didnt recheck the lines. i know i shoulda, but i didnt.thats what i get for rushing things. its now being remastered for its seventh trip through the rtv and all will right once again. stay tuned, stuff is happening..

Hey Jeff in the next remaster could you also address the rear window issue. "window will need to be modified. While the 66's window trim lays flat and has a little hic-up in the metal surrounding it, the 67-68 window trim curves inward with the window being slightly recessed." this would make an already good casting even better.I am currently working on this issue with mine.the body appears to have no defined area for a rear window and so far I have added some strip plastic surrounding the frame to give me a space to bond to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bill,

Show them a picture of the Green Hornet.

Sorry I'm so late to reply! I guess better late than never! :lol:

Here are a couple pics of the "Green Hornet" I built back in 1995-96. By no means perfect with my standards today, one can see the quarters should be a bit "straighter" than the fastback. I remember reshaping the '68 Shelby's fastback rear quarters, and adding the '66 roof which was modified to reflect the '67-'68 style. I would do this one a bit different today though if I were building it.

P2221143-vi.jpg

P2221142-vi.jpg

Sorry I'm so late to reply! I guess better late than never! :lol:

Here are a couple pics of the "Green Hornet" I built back in 1995-96. By no means perfect with my standards today, one can see the quarters should be a bit "straighter" than the fastback. I remember reshaping the '68 Shelby's fastback rear quarters, and adding the '66 roof which was modified to reflect the '67-'68 style. I would do this one a bit different today though if I were building it.

P2221143-vi.jpg

P2221142-vi.jpg

Bill, your models are at a level where I would love to be. It is still a wonderful example of a great car.

• 6 months later...

When do you think the new body is done ????